Are you into using CD players or do you use other formats, and why?

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
I used to like that too. I can now listen to all my CD's and don't have to have my computer on, yet also don't have to store them in an accessible location, no longer have any of those broken tabs on the jewel cases, never fumble one, sounds the same each time, not limited to one or five, can edit the playlist for that one song I *hate*, etc.

moves

moves

Audioholic Chief
I prefer digital music as it is a lot easier to store and access for me. With the use of my optical cable from computer to preamp, it works nice for me. I also use Spotify with the paid account that I find has better sound quality than CD. HD tracks is also good but a little pricy.

K

Kyle0910

Audioholic Intern
I have around 400 CDs but am in the process of ripping most of them with EAC to FLAC and storing on a network drive. A little upset going lossless so for now on I will be ripping AIFF.

I have an app on my iPhone that lets me access my NAS so I can listen anywhere in the house.

I really never use the disks and just purchased a CD holder, thinking of tossing the CD cases. Just keeping the artwork on a box at home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

J

jmalecki05

Junior Audioholic
Back In college (15 years ago), I ripped all my CD's to MP3 320. Unfortunately, I got rid of the original album art and cases. Although I have since ripped all my CD's to WAV (et cetera), I recently became interested in having a physical collection (all 2013+ purchases). I continue to listen to my digital lossless files for enjoyment / critical, and the mp3 files for when driving.

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
One thing I do regret is that my CDs on my computer are in WAV format that doesn't show album art (I used windows media player to rip)
get a hold of the latest MP3 ID-Tag Editor utility (free) and u can add the artwork to the files/tracks after u have ripped them to WAV or other format's (MP3, Voorbis, Monkey, ec.)

Dan Madden

Dan Madden

Audioholic
For critical listening, I still spin CD's via my Marantz CD67SE stand alone CD player. This player (circa late 90's) still rocks my world and brings CD's to life. Love it !

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I really never use the disks and just purchased a CD holder, thinking of tossing the CD cases. Just keeping the artwork on a box at home.
I remove the artwork from the jewel case and put the artwork right behind the cd in binders like these.

J

jmalecki05

Junior Audioholic
Nice idea. If only I can rewind 15 years.

Merry Christmas!

Audioholic72

Audioholic72

Enthusiast
I was flicking through my dads old vinyl collection the other day and I think there's a romance about the album artwork and how much effort went in to making the artwork and making a record stand out when vinyl was around, whereas now with downloads and CD's there seems to be less emphasis on it.
There is less emphasis on it, much less. In terms of sheer aesthetics, nostalgia, collectors interest and value, LP was and always will be superior to CD.

Goodband

Goodband

Audioholic
Almost all of my cds are ripped (flac) on my computer and I was mainly listenning to music that way until a week ago ... I ordered an universal player (Yamaha bd-s681) and now I enjoy the process of selecting a cd putting it in the player and looking/ reading the booklet.

For me this "ritual" adds to the enjoyment of music ... I don't get better sound quality but a lot more fun !!

Envoyé de mon SGH-I337M en utilisant Tapatalk

Last edited:
Audioholic72

Audioholic72

Enthusiast
Almost all of my cds are ripped (flac) on my computer and I was mainly listenning to music that way until a week ago ... I ordered an universal player (Yamaha bd-s681) ans now I enjoy the processe of selecting a cd putting it in the player and looking/ reading the booklet.

For me this "ritual" adds to the enjoyment of music ... I don't get better sound quality but a lot more fun !!

Wow... how strange. Putting a CD into a player and reading the paper notes! What a concept!

You shouldn't be getting any better sound quality by ripping CD's to FLAC. Ripping a standard redbook CD to FLAC doesn't make it Hi-Res. You can't add what wasn't there in the first place. I would rip CD's to FLAC only for convenience purposes, like for listening in the car, if I would bother ripping them at all.

I always listen to my real physical media at home.

Goodband

Goodband

Audioholic
Wow... how strange. Putting a CD into a player and reading the paper notes! What a concept!

You shouldn't be getting any better sound quality by ripping CD's to FLAC. Ripping a standard redbook CD to FLAC doesn't make it Hi-Res. You can't add what wasn't there in the first place. I would rip CD's to FLAC only for convenience purposes, like for listening in the car, if I would bother ripping them at all.

I always listen to my real physical media at home.
Wasn't saying that I was getting better SQ from flac files ... I get the same SQ from flac and the physical cd ... just more enjoyment from the process of playing cds

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
I get little joy from dealing with jewel cases and CD's. It's a little different with LP's because there's enough room there for actual artwork and fonts large enough to read without a microscope. There are a few novel exceptions in CD's released with separate folded paper inserts, most are really minimal.

This is why I got into Bluesound products. One rip with multiple passes & comparisons to get the best quality file stored, automatic loading of the jpeg artwork file, and forever using the same file in the same way. I still have all the original jewel cases intact, while also having the Vault 2's disk mirrored to a 2TB NAS. being able to handle all the CD's with a tablet, creating playlists, or just loading more than 5 CD's into the "play queue" is my new pleasure. And sounds fantastic!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I get little joy from dealing with jewel cases and CD's. It's a little different with LP's because there's enough room there for actual artwork and fonts large enough to read without a microscope. There are a few novel exceptions in CD's released with separate folded paper inserts, most are really minimal.

This is why I got into Bluesound products. One rip with multiple passes & comparisons to get the best quality file stored, automatic loading of the jpeg artwork file, and forever using the same file in the same way. I still have all the original jewel cases intact, while also having the Vault 2's disk mirrored to a 2TB NAS. being able to handle all the CD's with a tablet, creating playlists, or just loading more than 5 CD's into the "play queue" is my new pleasure. And sounds fantastic!
Curious, what does a Bluesound setup like yours cost? I can do all that with a pc or nas drive and free software....

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Curious, what does a Bluesound setup like yours cost? I can do all that with a pc or nas drive and free software....
Or if you don't mind a little assembly and configs, with an RPi.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Of course it can be done cheap, I have all the same stuff. What I did find in ripping CD's with Windows Media Player is that it didn't always get the artwork, but more critical it often ripped the first song incorrectly and the file was corrupt. I noticed that first song was 1/3rd the size of similar length songs. I had to disable "automatically rip", and that solved the problem. A Bluesound Vault 2 now cost $1200. My original one had a list of $1000 but only had a 1TB drive. I paid $600 for it as a demo model, later upgraded to the Vault 2 for $200. So I have $800 into it.

I didn't pay the money just to have copies of my CD's. I paid it to get high quality rips to a standalone 2TB drive, connected to a top quality DAC with MQA decoding, a really good streaming device with great support, and control it with a tablet, my phone, my PC (usually off), and have it seamlessly connect to my other system, my NAS, anything I want. The BlueOS is more than just streaming and ripping. Far more, and that is worth the expense to me.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Not familiar with the term....what is it?
RPi = Raspberry Pi!

It's an awesome little computer, a bit larger than a credit card, with all sorts of projects out there.

I personally have 3 RPis running my DIY bartop arcade cabinet, as a streamer running Kodi for the bedroom, and as an audiophile streamer from my HT Tower to my 2 channel rig in my man cave.

Another great project I've been considering is as a weather station and garden monitor. And, you can also run it as a wireless server for your 3D printer, and use the RPi camera to remotely monitor your 3D prints via WiFi!

https://www.amazon.com/CanaKit-Raspberry-Complete-Starter-Kit/dp/B01C6Q2GSY/ref=sr_1_2?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1482769340&sr=1-2&keywords=raspberry+pi+3

It is not plug and play for any of these types of projects! Typically, you will have to image the sd card, and likely you will have to do some configs via command lines! But, YouTube is your friend.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Of course it can be done cheap, I have all the same stuff. What I did find in ripping CD's with Windows Media Player is that it didn't always get the artwork, but more critical it often ripped the first song incorrectly and the file was corrupt. I noticed that first song was 1/3rd the size of similar length songs. I had to disable "automatically rip", and that solved the problem. A Bluesound Vault 2 now cost $1200. My original one had a list of $1000 but only had a 1TB drive. I paid $600 for it as a demo model, later upgraded to the Vault 2 for $200. So I have $800 into it.

I didn't pay the money just to have copies of my CD's. I paid it to get high quality rips to a standalone 2TB drive, connected to a top quality DAC with MQA decoding, a really good streaming device with great support, and control it with a tablet, my phone, my PC (usually off), and have it seamlessly connect to my other system, my NAS, anything I want. The BlueOS is more than just streaming and ripping. Far more, and that is worth the expense to me.
Thanks for the breakdown! I have no need for another DAC, nor MQA nor another streamer, so that solution would be of very limited value to me. I never liked WMP, or iTunes, both suck in several ways, EAC works great in conjunction with foobar2000/bubbleupnp fwiw.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
RPi = Raspberry Pi!

It's an awesome little computer, a bit larger than a credit card, with all sorts of projects out there.

I personally have 3 RPis running my DIY bartop arcade cabinet, as a streamer running Kodi for the bedroom, and as an audiophile streamer from my HT Tower to my 2 channel rig in my man cave.

Another great project I've been considering is as a weather station and garden monitor. And, you can also run it as a wireless server for your 3D printer, and use the RPi camera to remotely monitor your 3D prints via WiFi!

https://www.amazon.com/CanaKit-Raspberry-Complete-Starter-Kit/dp/B01C6Q2GSY/ref=sr_1_2?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1482769340&sr=1-2&keywords=raspberry+pi+3

It is not plug and play for any of these types of projects! Typically, you will have to image the sd card, and likely you will have to do some configs via command lines! But, YouTube is your friend.
That I've heard of :) Considering it down the line....

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis