Are You An Audiophile? Ha! Not according to this article...

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
It is foolish to YOU, not to the person buying it.

As I said, who are you me or anyone else to dictate what another does? Or cast aspersions because they don't follow our moors?

Perspective please!!!!

I'm not dictating anything. That's my perspective. Some people have more money than brains. If it makes them feel better or they truly think they hear a difference, more power to them. I'd rather spend that kind of money on stuff that actually improves the sound. Like speakers.

*Edit: Or room treatments. Anything but cables.

Last edited:
Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Perspective please!!!!
Here's your perspective:

Like taking a sugar pill to cure cancer, it is provable that spending thousands of dollars on high end cables, bags of rocks, etc. are a poor choice for qualitatively improving the output of an audio system. It takes maybe ten or fifteen minutes of research on the internet (including several articles on this site) to come to such a conclusion. That's not to suggest that high end cable is wholly a foolish endeavor. Even Gene owns some Kimber cable to dress up his system. However, buying a bag of rocks, or a $6,000 power cord with the expectation that the sound waves emanating from your speakers will be significantly transformed for the better is at best misguided/ill-informed.

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
If you just want to see the list, go to post#280 - List

There is no guarantee that they are all "high quality recordings", but the odds should be reasonably good.
Peng,
I went and captured the list. 128 alphabatized selections. That will keep me busy for quite a while auditioning new tunes. I know many of the items on the list already, so there's validation in that.
What a great little gift on the AH. Anybody looking for a new piece of music, grab Pengs post and head to number 280. Bit list.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Here's your perspective:

Like taking a sugar pill to cure cancer, it is provable that spending thousands of dollars on high end cables, bags of rocks, etc. are a poor choice for qualitatively improving the output of an audio system. It takes maybe ten or fifteen minutes of research on the internet (including several articles on this site) to come to such a conclusion. That's not to suggest that high end cable is wholly a foolish endeavor. Even Gene owns some Kimber cable to dress up his system. However, buying a bag of rocks, or a $6,000 power cord with the expectation that the sound waves emanating from your speakers will be significantly transformed for the better is at best misguided/ill-informed.
Agreed. If you're buying them because they're pretty and want to dress your system up at least that's a legitimate reason.

What I don't like is when folks come to the forums and tell others that they do make a difference or improve sq. Some of the newbies that come here could easily buy into the hype. I think that's why there's a "no tolerance" attitude among some of us when someone espouses the virtues of high dollar exotic cables.

*Edit: I just followed the link to the bag of rocks. I'm speechless. o_O

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
Here's your perspective:

Steve81
Pogre mentioned the bag of rocks link in your post. I missed that. After reading Pogres reply, I went and checked it out. I am now at a new level of speechless. I have thought for some time now that Mapleshade.com and all their nonsense with the wood gadgets and gizmos was the low tide mark in the audio market. I can see now that I have misjudged the mark. Buying bags of quartz rocks and dumping them around your room now seems to be where low tide really occurs.

Thank you for lowering the bridge on my expectations of vendors.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Oh, but that machina dynamica site has so much more! http://www.machinadynamica.com/machina5.htm
You're not a true audiophile until you have some blue beanies for your walls! Love this one...

"The subconscious mind interacts with room boundaries, i.e., closed-in spaces, producing a claustrophobic reaction that interferes with and degrades the listener's sensory perception. It's like putting in a better set of interconnects. Price $99 for set of 4 Blue Meanies."

Seems like the same type of science is involved with the blue beanies as what's used for exotic interconnects.

Last edited:
William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
You're not a true audiophile until you have some blue beanies for your walls! Love this one...

"The subconscious mind interacts with room boundaries, i.e., closed-in spaces, producing a claustrophobic reaction that interferes with and degrades the listener's sensory perception. It's like putting in a better set of interconnects. Price $99 for set of 4 Blue Meanies."

Seems like the same type of science is involved with the blue beanies as what's used for exotic interconnects.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Oh my heavens! These guys make Mapleshade look like a bunch of groupthink pikers.
"The Particle Accelerator employs Grade AAA tourmaline for generating negative ions."
That's a direct quote. Looks suspiciously like my wife's hair dryer.

I think those guys should take your wife's hair dryer, and plug it in, then settle in for a nice long bath while hugging that hair dryer very tightly.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Oh my heavens! These guys make Mapleshade look like a bunch of groupthink pikers.
"The Particle Accelerator employs Grade AAA tourmaline for generating negative ions."
That's a direct quote. Looks suspiciously like my wife's hair dryer.

They ain't lyin'. It will indeed accelerate particles...

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Oh wow. I didn't scroll down far enough. Bags of rocks in action!

mikro-pebbles.jpg

Now I understand how the little ones work.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Can you use any bags and tapes, or they sold them in match sets?
As long as the tape is cryogenically treated and ionized properly, yes. Regular scotch tape has a resonant frequency mode that you subconsciously perceive as interference and negative (-) harmonic dissonance generated by the lack of synergy that exists naturally between the cryo-io tape and... rocks.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
As long as the tape is cryogenically treated and ionized properly, yes. Regular scotch tape has a resonant frequency mode that you subconsciously perceive as interference and negative (-) harmonic dissonance generated by the lack of synergy that exists naturally between the cryo-io tape and... rocks.
They're also directional and so is the tape. If you wind the tape in the wrong direction, the sound will be upside down.:eek:

I don't consider myself an audiophile. I consider myself an Audioholic.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Sorry, not really wanting to look thru the crap on the machina dynamica site or 6moons or TAS or other bullshit sites. Makes me want to puke. Wait, clear the way, a really big one is coming just from thinking about all this shite...

eljr

eljr

Audioholic General
Makes me want to puke.

and that is how I feel reading theses schoolyard posts

--------------------------

To all:

Just stop, you guys negate all the positive with all this pettiness, arrogance and self adulation.

What a circle jerk.

My unsolicited advise, just grow up.

Last edited:
highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I am speechless.

All I know is that on high end sites I tend to see more talk about the music and ZERO talk about the objectivist. Many times I have challenged them on interconnects and power cords. Never a reply with malice, just respectful disagreement.

Nothing like this post, ever.

Can you really not see what motivates you to post such hate?
When someone just passes criticism off with a hautey "It's experiential" after someone tries to bring facts into the conversation or 'You can't hear it?", it's as offensive to some as what you consider to be malice. The chance of those Blue Meanies helping the sound is the same as the temperature where all molecular action stops- Absolute Zero. Bags of rocks, cable supports and other stuff (like AudioQuest's batteries on an audio or video cables) don't make it better because they come with a story.

To paraphrase, "Talking about sound is like dancing about food". Words often can't convey what someone perceives, but comments about how something makes a positive difference when there's no proof requires faith to believe it- I know several people who would consider themselves to be 'audiophiles' and are opposed to religion, but they believe this crap. That is totally illogical and they don't seem to see any conflict in this thinking.

If you want to believe this stuff, go ahead. If you want to deal with it logically and factually, go ahead- it's your choice but if you know anything about electricity, electronics or physics, none of the stuff that purports to do wonderful things for sound quality makes any sense.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis