Anything Better Than This??

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I would go with the JBLs. At the moment, they are on sale at Sweetwater for $250, which is a great price for them, and makes them the same as the mackies. The Mackies are very good, but JBL makes some of the very best drivers that you can buy. The wave guide on the tweeter looks like a better match for the 8" woofer, and the woofer is going to be very serious. I do think the LSR is a step above. Harman's research facilities and staff are one of the best if not the very best in the audio industry, and the LSR line is one of their babies.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I would go with the JBLs. At the moment, they are on sale at Sweetwater for $250, which is a great price for them, and makes them the same as the mackies. The Mackies are very good, but JBL makes some of the very best drivers that you can buy. The wave guide on the tweeter looks like a better match for the 8" woofer, and the woofer is going to be very serious. I do think the LSR is a step above. Harman's research facilities and staff are one of the best if not the very best in the audio industry, and the LSR line is one of their babies.
Thanks for pointing out that these are going for $250, they must have just lowered the price recently because when I looked at SW a couple days ago they showed as $350.

I have never ordered from Sweetwater. They are a trusted internet vendor?

However, it shows that they are out of stock right now :(

E

EIPtuningR32

Audioholic Intern
I've seen sweetwater being mentioned on a couple of forums and threads on here, so I think it is reputable. I the 2328 the best option available in the lsr lineup? My room is pretty small. I've also heard that midrange clarity and accuracy goes up as you get smaller monitors (within reason) because the monitor is not trying to produce the lows that a subwoofer should be handling.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
You should try these before getting the A5's

Vanatoo
Hmmm - Very interesting indeed !

I would strongly consider these if I was in OP position....

I do own AE D1 dac and JBL LSR2325p but neither are ideal products - both have small quirks which I got used to ... eventually

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I've seen sweetwater being mentioned on a couple of forums and threads on here, so I think it is reputable. I the 2328 the best option available in the lsr lineup? My room is pretty small. I've also heard that midrange clarity and accuracy goes up as you get smaller monitors (within reason) because the monitor is not trying to produce the lows that a subwoofer should be handling.
There are three levels of JBL's LSR line-up, the 2s, 4s, and 6s (they are all the first number of the model line). The 2328 is the best of the low end of their line up. I haven't heard their others, but the 6s, the 6328 and 6332, are actually THX pm3 certified, which is a very high standard, it means they are certified to be used to create THX sound tracks. That means there is some very serious audio engineering in those speakers. The 6332s are at the top of my own list of potential future speakers to get. They are even used in Harman's Reference room, which is a big deal. The 4 and 6 series of the LSRs are pretty pricey though, but not with respect to their performance level.

Also, smaller speakers having more clarity or accuracy in any frequency range is a flatly untrue. Small size in speakers doesn't really have any real advantages, but they do have a lot of big disadvantages. Take some care to set your speakers up right, and they will have excellent clarity in every range.

E

EIPtuningR32

Audioholic Intern
awesome. I am very excited to get this project on the road. I believe I am going to purchase the 2328's and the lexicon alfa as an interface. Thank you to everyone who commented on this thread, specially shadyj for the consistency in answering.

Last edited:
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
If you have both USB 3 and USB 2 ports, put the Lexicon on the USB 2. For some reason USB 3 can throw off some pro-audio cards in certain situations. Follow speaker placement guidelines for the best sound, it does make a difference. Good luck, and let us know how it sounds.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis