Anthem Reviews from CES 2007 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tom Andry

Tom Andry

Speaker of the House
You make is sound like we review nothing but high dollar items. This is far from the truth. Most of the reviews we do are well within the range of most people's budget. I was on a serious budget when I bought my first system and used reviews from here to make my decisions.

Purchasing and returning equipment is just not an option for a lot of reasons. Ethics (as Clint stated) is one of them. Second, the things we do to equipment (especially electronics) like taking them apart, testing amps, etc., would void most return policies (much less warranties). This means that at least occasionally, we'd get stuck with the cost of the item. Somebody, somewhere, is sure to catch on that we buy electronics and return them. And they are going to refuse to take back an item. This means we'd end up getting paranoid and only getting extremely cheap items "just in case." Then we'd have all the forum members complaining that we only review crappy stuff.

Not to mention, once a manufacturer learns that we'll buy a product (they won't know that we are returning them), why should they ever send us another one to review? All they have to do is have a couple of their employees register, ask for the review, generate enough "buzz", and we'll go out and get it ourselves. Easy, painless, and most of all free. They don't have to pay for shipping or anything.

Also, we get enough flack about being biased without trying to woo manufacturers with good reviews. So:
And if a manufacturer sees positive things being written about their products here, there's a better than zero chance that you might build a relationship with them based on it. Possibly leading to further products being sent your way, but of course next time for free.
just isn't going to fly. We're here to build a relationship with. We don't require that you advertise with us (anyone ever see a Pioneer ad on this site? And how many reviews have we done of their products?), we don't ask to keep the equipment, all we want is for them to ship it to us and ship it back. That's really not all that much. If that measly cost is too much for the manufacturer, then I don't think they deserve the coverage we'd give them.

Personally, while I understand the suggestion, I think it is a shady practice and I wouldn't do it if they asked me. Remember, each of those return items will probably be put on some sort of discount rack. Probably to be sold for under MSRP (because it is a return). In essence, you're asking the store to pay for the review. That doesn't really seem fair does it?

H

hopjohn

Full Audioholic
1) Though it was mentioned, I personally never said anything about returning the stuff. I agree that buying something that you have every intention of returning would be unethical. Though you could have a contest to give it away which seems to be enjoyed here or there's always ebay.

2) It wouldn't be wooing if you sincerely thought the product was good. I'm not suggesting you try and kiss a$$. That's why I said hand pick the product so you can be fairly certain it will be a good/great performer.

3) The point you make about buzz being generated by the manufacturer has been attempted here before, and its pretty easy to identify. I think you'd know when the "buzz" was legitimate.

4) A few other reasons why this might be of a advantage to you is because of the sometimes long wait you encounter getting the review sample. Also buying a product off the shelf ensures (I 'm not saying that this happens all the time, but it does happen) you don't get a superior sample to what is offered to the public.

Last edited:
Matt34

Matt34

hopjohn said:
Since I was the first to suggest buying a product for review would make sense, I'll lay down on the railroad tracks and be the one to take the criticism for such a suggestion. All I ask is for you to allow me this:

Is it not possible that by hand picking a few products that have generated some buzz each year might actually have a positive result by generating you MORE revenue in return. More traffic here generates you more money, no? And if a manufacturer sees positive things being written about their products here, there's a better than zero chance that you might build a relationship with them based on it. Possibly leading to further products being sent your way, but of course next time for free.

I there was quite a bit of erred assumption about how frequently and how much money I was suggesting be spent on doing this. Please don't be pissed at me for saying this, but Gene your condescension is out of line. Seems Clint frequently posts behind you to calm the waters when your temper flares.

I know pretty darn well what you guys do for a living, and I'm not asking you to make bad business decisions. So just take a deep breath and open your mind a little. If you'd like a suggestion on what kind of product might fit in this category try taking a close look at Ascends line of speakers. They are very affordable and I have heard many a good thing about them. You know not all of us are interested in buying Snell's at 30 grand a pair. I paid 17 grand for a brand new car, okay?, so try putting that in perspective. RBH are out out my range as well. You guys like to talk about WAF, but how about giving more consideration to your readers approval factor. After all we are the ones that make it possible for you to do what you do for a living, so despite what you might think of my suggestion, a little respect please.
Audioholics has reviewed everything from $200 bookshelves to multi-thousand dollar speakers. 90% of the time when someone asks why a certain "hot" speaker hasn't been reviewed it turns out the company who not send them the product.

I personally enjoy reading about some high-end systems knowing full well I will never be able to afford them unless I win the powerball. I believe they do a good job catering to the wide range of "audioholics" budgets, just look at the members setups thread.

So if they buy these few items, review them and you suggest they just give them away or ebay them? Sorry, that is just poor business practice IMO. I think the majority of the contest are from sponsors, not Audioholics.com.

H

hopjohn

Full Audioholic
Matt34 said:
Audioholics has reviewed everything from $200 bookshelves to multi-thousand dollar speakers. 90% of the time when someone asks why a certain "hot" speaker hasn't been reviewed it turns out the company who not send them the product.
Precisely why sometimes it makes sense to just buy one!

Matt34 said:
I personally enjoy reading about some high-end systems knowing full well I will never be able to afford them unless I win the powerball.
Kind of like an audio lap dance is it not? Look but don't touch. I think it's a way people fulfill certain desires that I don't think is necessarily a healthy psychology. Just ask anyone what audio products they wish they could have and I'll bet they can tell you instantaneously.

Matt34 said:
I believe they do a good job catering to the wide range of "audioholics" budgets, just look at the members setups thread.
I have looked at them, believe me. The reviews are not proportionate to the budgets in the setup thread. Who could afford 30 grand speakers here and live to tell about it, like 2-4% of us? If I was writing an article targeting 2-4% of my audience, I'd be fired.

Matt34 said:
So if they buy these few items, review them and you suggest they just give them away or ebay them? Sorry, that is just poor business practice IMO. I think the majority of the contest are from sponsors, not Audioholics.com.
So having a contest to promote readership and gain interest in certain products that many people might be able to afford is a bad idea huh? Okay, if that's your opinion so be it. And just because the majority of the contests are done by sponsors doesn't mean it has to always be that way. Like I said previously, a couple of hand picked products a year.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
1) Though it was mentioned, I personally never said anything about returning the stuff. I agree that buying something that you have every intention of returning would be unethical. Though you could have a contest to give it away which seems to be enjoyed here or there's always ebay.

2) It wouldn't be wooing if you sincerely thought the product was good. I'm not suggesting you try and kiss a$$. That's why I said hand pick the product so you can be fairly certain it will be a good/great performer.

3) The point you make about buzz being generated by the manufacturer has been attempted here before, and its pretty easy to identify. I think you'd know when the "buzz" was legitimate.

4) A few other reasons why this might be of a advantage to you is because of the sometimes long wait you encounter getting the review sample. Also buying a product off the shelf ensures (I 'm not saying that this happens all the time, but it does happen) you don't get a superior sample to what is offered to the public.
HopJohn;

thanks for all of your suggestions. Feel free to use them should you start your own A/V website.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis