Anthem Reviews from CES 2007 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jim E.

Enthusiast
Martiad3 said:
Those Denon separates have got to be at least $10k, but sound like they're worth it :eek:
Actually for that price you'd be crazy not to consider (and buy) the Anthem line of products. You won't find better sound, power, features, hardware (and sofware) upgrades and video scaling/processing for the money. And all wrapped up in one package!

Check out the statement D2 and P5/P2 line: http://statement.anthemav.com/index.html

For a little less money their AVM 50 and MCA amps are probably an even better value.

It's a shame (and perhaps bordering on negligence ;) ) that Audioholics never reviewed those line of products. Especially since nearly every magazine/site that has reviewed any Anthem products says it's pretty much the best for the money.

Jim E. said:
It's a shame (and perhaps bordering on negligence ;) ) that Audioholics never reviewed those line of products. Especially since nearly every magazine/site that has reviewed any Anthem products says it's pretty much the best for the money.
Simple. They won't send them to us because they don't advertise with us. They made it explicitly clear to us last year that they only send products for review with places that carry their advertising.

It's not for want of trying. Of course, now I suppose you may start to wonder about all those glowing reviews.

Biscokid

Biscokid

Audioholic
It also makes you wonder about RBH getting best in show...no?

That's exactly what I told Gene - but he's going on 4 years now trying desperately to find another company that sounds as good. Snell was pretty darn good.

Truth is, it's almost not fair - the competition is absolutely horrendous for the most part. They use bad demos, use poor setups, and generally shoot themselves in the foot all to maintain their status as "elite esoteric" companies. Grace Jones as demo material? Come on... lol.

J

Jim E.

Enthusiast
It's not for want of trying. Of course said:
Ouch! :)

I hope you're not suggesting that all sites/magazines that allow advertising of a product they review is suspect? :rolleyes:

I think that's just the nature of the business.

H

hopjohn

Full Audioholic
I'm not trying to take shots at anyone by saying this because I understand the business model of reviewing and if you guys don't get to examine a particular product for free than most likely its not getting reviewed. Though from a consumers point of view its pretty frustrating trying to find that one piece of equipment, whatever it might be, when you can't really trust that there aren't outside influences that skew a review or ultimately decide whether a product is even reviewed at all. To me, and I know it is impractical, but there are times when buying a product to review would make a lot of sense, instead of just snubbing a mfg. when they won't send something to you for whatever the reason. This has happened many, many times since I've been a forum reader here, and it really narrows down the brands from which to read about in specific price ranges on speakers, receivers and players. Coincidentally the three things I'm most interested in. Ive just surrendered to looking closely at what I can get my hands on and closely examining it in my own environment. Reviews these days play a very insignificant role in my purchasing decisions, and that's in large part because of identifying the types of things that are going on behind the scenes. These unwritten, unspoken rules of the game being played with what a manufacturer expects/gets in return for lending out the product. Like they say, nothing is for free.

Hey, that was nicely worded - so thanks.

Well, let's review:

1) Of course this doesn't mean bias - BUT - we try as hard as possible to be objective, despite the business model we are forced to work with. Add into this mix a company that flat out doesn't submit products to anyone unless they advertise and you have an extra layer of "things that make you go, hmmm" - and I'm the LAST one who wants to stir this hornets nest. But we were asked... so I commented.

2) Company X tells us that they will not submit products for review because they don't advertise with us, so we are supposed to promote Company X by buying their products so that we can review their products? We must respectfully disagree. Our initial reaction is 'go find your own free publicity'. I'm not really sure how anyone would think differently - and I would hope that our readers would understand.

3) We are taking other steps to expand the brands reviewed here, so hopefully that helps.

Is ANYONE going to comment on post #46?!?!

J

JackT

Audioholic
Clint DeBoer said:

Well, let's review:

1) Of course this doesn't mean bias - BUT - we try as hard as possible to be objective, despite the business model we are forced to work with. Add into this mix a company that flat out doesn't submit products to anyone unless they advertise and you have an extra layer of "things that make you go, hmmm" - and I'm the LAST one who wants to stir this hornets nest. But we were asked... so I commented.

2) Company X tells us that they will not submit products for review because they don't advertise with us, so we are supposed to promote Company X by buying their products so that we can review their products? We must respectfully disagree. Our initial reaction is 'go find your own free publicity'. I'm not really sure how anyone would think differently - and I would hope that our readers would understand.

3) We are taking other steps to expand the brands reviewed here, so hopefully that helps.

Two observations: It looked like a new version of the website. AND....

the V2700 review is done?? Can we see it now please? What was the HQV score?

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
It also makes you wonder about RBH getting best in show...no?
If you heard their competition at the Venetian, you'd understand. We have some videos of this coming online shortly. Snell was also excellent but we couldn't directly compare since they were located at different hotels.

I stand by my assesment of the two best demos at the show. Perhaps next year you should consider going and listening for yourself to determine what you liked best.

T

The Dukester

Audioholic Chief
Clint DeBoer said:
Hey maybe we'll have a contest next year and he CAN go... :)

Now a contest with the winner getting to go sounds GREAT!!!:D :D :D

T

The Dukester

Audioholic Chief
Sheep said:
What is the lords opinion on getting out more? Wouldn't that put me closer to drugs, alcohol, and pre marrital sex? :eek:

SheepStar
He says you when you go out you could always do something nice for someone, go to the Library...or, dare I say it, even church:eek:
You don't have to go out to get exposed to your above listed stuff. Just turn on the TV;)

M

mfabien

Senior Audioholic
Clint DeBoer said:

Well, let's review:

There are pieces of equipment that justify review, whether there is an ad agreement in place or not and whether the maker agrees to supply product or not. The key here, in my opinion, is the membership possible interest in a piece of equipment.

Well are there alternatives to get the equipment?

- Can certain retailers not accommodate by loaning the equipment in return for a plug in?

- Worst case, can the equipment be purchased and then return within 30 days for a full refund?

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Well are there alternatives to get the equipment?

- Can certain retailers not accommodate by loaning the equipment in return for a plug in?
We do this already with Projector People and Visual Apex.

- Worst case, can the equipment be purchased and then return within 30 days for a full refund?
Sure if you want Audioholics to go out of business in a couple of months :rolleyes:

It's amazing how people don't understand what's involved with running this publication and keeping it profitable so we can all do this for a living.

M

mfabien

Senior Audioholic
gene said:
We do this already with Projector People and Visual Apex..
Very well

gene said:
Sure if you want Audioholics to go out of business in a couple of months :rolleyes:

It's amazing how people don't understand what's involved with running this publication and keeping it profitable so we can all do this for a living.
Buying then returning after 30 days... Is this not a question of cash flow rather than cost? If it's a question of a few thousands (you are not going to buy the store for 30 days) can this not be accommodated by a small line of credit?

It's also a matter of integrity. "Buying" a product with the intent to review and return it is one of the more unethical suggestions I've heard - no offense to you, I'm guessing you simply didn't look at it from that perspective.

I think Gene is saying that we'd go out of business through mismanagement of resources and the inevitable return issues associated with purchasing high dollar products through dealers (this stuff isn't available at Wal-mart).

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
Anyway you slice it's to their advantage (Anthem) for Audioholics to review their equipment, unless they've got something to hide? It's just free publicity.:)

H

hopjohn

Full Audioholic
Since I was the first to suggest buying a product for review would make sense, I'll lay down on the railroad tracks and be the one to take the criticism for such a suggestion. All I ask is for you to allow me this:

Is it not possible that by hand picking a few products that have generated some buzz each year might actually have a positive result by generating you MORE revenue in return. More traffic here generates you more money, no? And if a manufacturer sees positive things being written about their products here, there's a better than zero chance that you might build a relationship with them based on it. Possibly leading to further products being sent your way, but of course next time for free.

I think there was quite a bit of erred assumption about how frequently and how much money I was suggesting be spent on doing this. Please don't be pissed at me for saying this, but Gene your condescension is out of line. Seems Clint frequently posts behind you to calm the waters when your temper flares.

I know pretty darn well what you guys do for a living, and I'm not asking you to make bad business decisions. So just take a deep breath and open your mind a little. If you'd like a suggestion on what kind of product might fit in this category try taking a close look at Ascends line of speakers. They are very affordable and I have heard many a good thing about them. You know not all of us are interested in buying Snell's at 30 grand a pair. I paid 17 grand for a brand new car, okay?, so try putting that in perspective. RBH are out out my range as well. You guys like to talk about WAF, but how about giving more consideration to your readers approval factor. After all we are the ones that make it possible for you to do what you do for a living, so despite what you might think of my suggestion, a little respect please.

Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis