Amazon is the Devil

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
That's right, Disney is so tiny that it only caters to families with kids. /s Pay no attention to the chart below.
Disney as in Disney+ specifically for content. That service, while it includes Marvel and Lucasfilms, is more geared towards families with kids. Adults are less likely to keep it.

I understand they are looking to separate out ESPN as well.

If you think Amazon is the Devil, then what is Disney? :eek:

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Well, to continue your analogy in terms of deadly sins, then Amazon would be the greed and Disney the gluttony.
I'm sure both are well represented down under.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
Disney generally doesn't buy content, they make it. Which is sort of like nepotism? They buy a brand so they can crank out material to drive revenue. Making their own content, they think they can do no wrong and have a captive audience, which aside from families with kids for the most part, they don't.
You mean they buy companies: Fox, Mavel, etc. My point on Disney is that their is not a lot of new content compared to Netflix.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
Disney as in Disney+ specifically for content. That service, while it includes Marvel and Lucasfilms, is more geared towards families with kids. Adults are less likely to keep it.

I understand they are looking to separate out ESPN as well.

My Opinion on Disney

Amazon with annual net Income > 30 Billion dollars.. Do they really need to charge amazon Prime members 2.99 more?

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Amazon with annual net Income > 30 Billion dollars.. Do they really need to charge amazon Prime members 2.99 more?
You don't become rich by wasting earning opportunities :)
but, yes, I do agree with you on that point - it was beyond avaricious.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
That's right, Disney is so tiny that it only caters to families with kids. /s Pay no attention to the chart below.
Something in a nut shell on Disney.
  • ABC
  • ESPN (80% stake)
  • Touchstone Pictures
  • Marvel
  • Lucasfilm
  • A&E (50% equity holding with Hearst Corporation)
  • The History Channel (50% equity holding with Hearst Corporation)
  • Lifetime (50% equity holding with Hearst Corporation)
  • Pixar
  • Hollywood Records
  • Vice Media (10% stake)
  • Core Publishing

Agree if people think Disney is only Micky Mouse, its NOT.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Something in a nut shell on Disney.
  • ABC
  • ESPN (80% stake)
  • Touchstone Pictures
  • Marvel
  • Lucasfilm
  • A&E (50% equity holding with Hearst Corporation)
  • The History Channel (50% equity holding with Hearst Corporation)
  • Lifetime (50% equity holding with Hearst Corporation)
  • Pixar
  • Hollywood Records
  • Vice Media (10% stake)
  • Core Publishing

Agree if people think Disney is only Micky Mouse, its NOT.
Add also Epic games - approx 5% ownership

H

Hobbit

Senior Audioholic
You don't become rich by wasting earning opportunities :)
but, yes, I do agree with you on that point - it was beyond avaricious.
To be fair, Amazon is a very low margin business. They make their money on volume, and lots of it.

They feel inflation too. FedEx/UPS for example had a GRI of 5.9% this past Dec/Jan. Several places where I buy things online have raised the minimum you have to spend before you get free shipping. These items are almost always sent USPS.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
I dropped Amazon music. I was on the fence with regard to HD really being noticeably worth it. If I don't start purchasing more things (I've reached product saturation, apparently) beyond that of the occasional household maintenance part/product, Prime will be next.

When just one person in the chain is gaining such sickening wealth, there is obvious means to return the favor to the customers that helped make that possible, especially in these trying times.

I didn't order enough from them last year to make the prime membership worth it. Ended up using ebay for a number of items and ended up saving over Amazon. Walmart (another greedy corp. I love to hate), yet another outlet I had not considered for delivery that I tried a few times for clothes (best price on Wrangler jeans) and other household items and was satisfied with the service for less on some things. I did not shop around much, for thinking Amazon would always have the lowest average prices.

Amazon shipping has gotten a bit sloppy with regard to their forecasted delivery times and misdirected late arrivals/reorders are becoming more common. The other annoying thing, being that their algorithm can surprisingly pick a product search suggestion from a single word spoken elsewhere online, falls flat on it's face when I type in a specific search term and it returns me 10% of what I asked for, and then inundates the page with every relative product under the sun, that I did not. This has caused me to order the wrong item on numerous occasions, just for it being lumped in unnecessarily.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
No issues with Amazon, but I don't stream music from them.

R

Ryukyu57

Audiophyte
Don't people already pay enough for Prime? Now they want more just for no ads? I dropped Disney after their second price hike within the same year.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Don't people already pay enough for Prime? Now they want more just for no ads? I dropped Disney after their second price hike within the same year.
It has gone from $80/yr to $140//yr in 17 years and has expanded content quite a bit (okay a bit extra for the commercial free tier now). Seems fine to me.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
Like I noted way back, before we all cut the cord, yes most of us were paying $150 -$225 or more a month from our local cable company which included the internet and their cable tv line up and any other "premium add on we wanted. The prices got out of control with rate increases and along came the cable cutters, and a move to these cheaper streaming services. And all we needed was some internet service. Well, guess what, those increases are now creeping back up but this time its all the streaming services and their add-ons and yep we are still paying the cable company for internet service. Add everything up, ( like for ex: Hululive, w/Disney+, Netflix Standard, 500 mb Internet with local phone, come inhandy during Cell outages and hurriances as its buried, mine $209.48 a month) and be honest, I'll bet your TV/movie/internet bill is slowly approaching that original bill you used to receive from your local cable company. Before I cut the cable I was paying 182.50. Of course now I get more channels via Roku and Netflix and movie options. We dropped HBO MAX. I had Amazon Prime since it came out, since we do not stream music. But No regulations, means these companies can do and charge whatever they want. So today,, I'm paying more for streaming services than I was way back when, of course my interent speed is a lot higher and fits our need. And what gets me is the local cable company is sending our these " COME BACK TO US AND SAVE". I would get the very same channels I get today on Hululive . Amazon the devil, will all I can say, is what a racket and all internet companies and streaming services are just plain greedy..

Last edited:
davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
No issues with Amazon Prime and I do use their streaming services.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis