Khellandros66

Khellandros66

Banned
:cool:

Cool man nice to see it coming together for you. I am considering the Outlaw M2200 Amps for my Front L/R, everything else seems to have enough power for now.

That whole system gives me the shivers.

~Bob

The Chukker

The Chukker

Full Audioholic
Sheep said:
Where do you live? I'm coming over. :D
No way Mr. Sheep! Or should I say WOLF in Sheep's clothing -- you sub whore!!! ;)

The Chukker

The Chukker

Full Audioholic
More gratuitous self promotion

It's been awhile so here is some updates to the set up. My old DVD player died so I decided on a Denon 2910 which I figured to be a nice compromise between performance and price since (theoretically at least) I will have to update to a next gen player sometime soon. For now, it suits me fine and its audio and video performance are quite good. Only thing is its height profile was marginally larger than my old DVD player and hence the placement directly on top of the 3805. Although heat was an initial concern of mine, I have thoroughly cranked the *$%#@# out of these units and have not had any problems (knock on wood). More of a problem was the strain all of these powered speakers were putting on the lowly 15A circuit allocated for this room. I had an electrician come out and we did some tests with some grueling source material (Master and Commander, The Incredibles) and at -10 dB I was getting some serious voltage drops. Hence the dedicated 20A line I had installed -- you can see it runs through a nice shiny conduit down the crown of the foundation in the garage, through the wall, into the crawl space and ends up as a single outlet conveniently just left of my stack. It powers the Emotiva MPS-1, the DVD player, and the 3805. All of the speakers (their subwoofer amps that is) are still driven from the other wall outlets. I no longer have any power issues.

Attachments

The Chukker

The Chukker

Full Audioholic
Lastly, I had a couple of extra Cinema 80 Monitors lying around the house so I took a little trip down to the local pawn shop to see what I could scrounge up. Turns out there was a nice little NAD 302 amp (80w/channel @ 8 ohm, 160w/channel @ 4 ohm) going for 20 bucks and a used Xbox I talked the guy down to 25 bucks (including the DVD remote!). I found a little extra speaker wire not being used and voila! My garage sounds 100% better, and washing cars out front is eminently more enjoyable than it was before. I plan on buying a little 13" tv I will place adjacent to this stuff so I can "see" what tracks are playing and soon I will rip my entire music collection (on CD that is) to the Xbox. Total cost (not including the speakers) should be well under $100.
Woo Hoo!

Attachments

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Excellent. Theres nothing wrong with more power, esp. in your situation.

I need to do that too. I need 2 15A lines for my room. One day...

SheepStar

The Chukker

The Chukker

Full Audioholic
It really IS a never ending journey...

Been hibernating trying to figure out who was going to win the format war but I just couldn't hold out any longer. Upgraded the HT panel to a 1080p 61" LED Samsung DLP (HL-T 6189S).The build quality is impressive, and the picture is quite beautiful in a low lit room. However, I can detect a faint "ghost image" in the upper right quadrant of the screen that is quite visible in very dark scenes; the retailer has agreed to replace the set with a brand new one and failing that I might get a plasma instead. Talk about a win win situation. I have a friend in the auto body business who has agreed to shoot my "old" stand for pennies on the dollar if I am so inclined.

Here's another shot of the tv (The picture is washed out a bit from the flash):

Here's the new Pioneer Elite BD Player:

In the stack sits a new Denon 3808 CI that I'm using as a pre-pro and my "old" Denon 2910 that I use for DVD, SACD, and 2-channel PCM listening. Won't be "upgrading" the MPS-1 anytime soon; I absolutely love it:

Some meatballs with your spaghetti sir?
All new cabling provided by our friends here in Seattle at Blue Jeans Cable. w00t!

Here are some new shots of the game room (i.e. the HT hand me down room):
I love to just get away from the world in here; sort a geek study if you will lol.

Last but not least, here is an honorable mention; the first HDTV I ever bought. I can't bring myself to get rid of it so here it sits (stands? :eek:) in my bedroom: too heavy and ponderous to ever get back down the narrow stairs.
Just to the right is an Audio Authority signal sensing component video/ digital audio switcher that unlike the piece of sh!t they sell at Best Buy actually functions without any video or audio signal loss. The HD-DVR and Xbox 360 are both connected to this unit. The Xbox 360 is generally used to system link with the unit in the gameroom which is just down the hall.

Well that's about it folks, thank you very much for viewing!

Last edited by a moderator:
The Chukker

The Chukker

Full Audioholic
No speaker changes?
He He. Sheepsy, the only thing that will make me give up my 7000SC's is if you personally come down here and demo their replacements. And they better be price equivalent, Canadian dollar notwithstanding ;)!

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
He He. Sheepsy, the only thing that will make me give up my 7000SC's is if you personally come down here and demo their replacements. And they better be price equivalent, Canadian dollar notwithstanding ;)!
Haha, Is that an invite?

SheepStar

Mark L

Mark L

Enthusiast
Hello guys I guess this is a good thread for me to jump in on. I don't have any Definitive Technology speakers as of yet, but I am trying to decide which ones to buy and was hoping for a little input. Right now I am using a Yamaha RV-1 processor and a set of Dalquest DQ-20s for mains with an M&K80 for a sub. The effect speakers are all Yamaha and they need to be upgraded.

M

Mudcon

Audiophyte
I like the set up but it would be a chore to come up with the set up for that room. good job

The Chukker

The Chukker

Full Audioholic
Thanks

The main theater room was not easy to get dialed in, but to my ear sounds very neutral. I occasionally get some sibilance issues (mainly from the right front) I attribute to the bipolar setup being so close to the wall. Low end though, very tight -- I have been careful to not over "gain" my set up with such a small room.
Will post some new pics soon of a Bello stand I ordered to replace the BDI stand shown here; and will be upgrading the 2500 to a 3000 with the added vertical space allotted for the center channel. Thanks for your interest :D!

holden_stroker

holden_stroker

Junior Audioholic
wow thats looking pretty sweet - i shouldve got myself a dlp i think rather than gone with lcd :(

very impressive :D

The Chukker

The Chukker

Full Audioholic
Aaaaah, >stretches legs<

Well, I'm back. I see nothing's changed.
mtrycrafts is still doling out sage advice. Sheep is still, well sheep (;)). And I bet MikeC probably has more subwoofers than God by now.

Feels rather nice to be back in the HT game; been a long time -- 5 years or so since I even posted here last and about that long since I altered anything.
Getting married and have two little boys I'm inheriting through my wonderful wife to be and they are about at that age where they will want their own rooms.
Alas, the dedicated game room (that I never used anyway) had to go.
The 65" 1st gen Mitsu rear projection HDTV that was in the bedroom -- gawd I loved that thing -- given to a friend for free so long as he helped me haul it away.
The 61" second gen Samsung DLP that was in the game room -- with hardly any hours on the lamp -- sold to a acquaintance for $100 along with a very nice matching stand.

This of course paved the way for some new equipment for the HT and a complete rearrangement of the bedroom set up.

First off, the bedroom system:
It inherited the 61" Samsung LED DLP 6189S that was in the HT. Also the XBox360 came over from the game room. I find it more relaxing to play games in the bedroom rather than in a dedicated gaming environment as I used to in the past.
Must be getting old I guess.

^ Not sure what's going on with all the orbs but I prolly should dust off the lens of that old camera next time I use it.

Also in the bedroom now is the Panny BD-30 blu-ray player as well as my trusty Denon 2910 DVD/SACD/CD transport for music playback.

^ Decoding and amplification courtesy of the Denon 3808CI that I was using as a pre/pro in the HT previously.

Lastly, these are my speakers from the game room: Def Tech 7002's for the mains, a Procenter (can't remember which model but it was a HTiB), a ProSub80 for the LFE, and a couple of small Def Tech monitors (again from a HTiB) that you can't see as I have them on Sanus stands along the axis of the back wall.

All in all a very potent system in the bedroom with the 3808CI driving them, turned down the sub so it didn't get too 'chuffy' and am running LFE+Mains for frequencies<80Hz.
Good bass management makes small rooms easy.

Now, onto the HT :evilgrin:
Picked up a Panasonic 65" VT50 for a display, although I have owned many HDTV's since the beginning this is my very first true flat panel. w00t!
Good God this thing has a beautiful display. Absolutely gorgeous.

^ Freeing the clr2500 from the tight constraints of my old tv stand has really set it's low frequency response loose so to speak. I was considering trying to find a clr3000 but they don't make them anymore and they don't seem to be coming up for sale too much recently. To be quite honest the clr2500 kicks ***. I dunno; if I actually find one I may drop the coin to get one.
The stand is a Bello and although it seemed a bit precarious to mount a tv this size on it, it is I assure you quite solid (and very attractive I might add).
Also, please disregard the too short HDMI cable that stretches across from the panel to the BD player, it was all I had. I have since ordered a new 15' cable from BJC and it should be here in a couple of days. I hate messy cables.

A view of the front three channels. For those who haven't visited this thread before they are Def Tech BP7000SC's for the mains and a Def Tech clr2500 for the center.
And I still love these damn things despite what others may say lol.

A view of the rear channels:

These are still they same BPVX/P's that I owned before and I still love them.

A view to a kill so to speak:

The subs are, big shocker here, the same Def Tech Supercube References I had before. There are two flanking the listening position on either side.
Bass response is quite smooth and earth shaking with gain on both set to less than half.

And now for the new meat and potatoes:

Picked up the new Oppo BD-105 as per the Audioholics review and it does everything Gene says it would. I use it to watch BD and DVD movies as well as play lossless music on CD and for those purposes it excels. Because of its wonderful analog performance as well as universal volume control I eliminated the Denon 3808CI as a pre/pro altogether and just run the analog outs directly into the Emotiva MPS-1. The amp is still performing nearly flawlessly, its only foible a finicky status LED on amp 3 which sometimes works and sometimes doesn't.
The amp always works so what do I care?

The view from behind:

Good clean wire management is a must.

If you might be wondering what the giant hole in the AV rack is going to be used for it will be used for...
...more amplification. I'm not sure why but I feel the need, the need for more amps.
The moment I post this thread I am going to order the new XPR-2 from Emotiva for the mains and see what 600 watts will do for the 7000SC's. My goal is not to go louder (they go plenty loud enough with 175 watts driven with the MPS-1), but rather to hear more definition and try to achieve greater linearity.

Also, as soon as it becomes available I will be ordering a new XMC-1 pre/pro from Emotiva as well. The Oppo will then occupy the vacant shelf below the center channel, freeing up the slot directly above the amps. I will then take advantage of the balanced outputs of the the XMC-1 to feed the balanced inputs of both the XPR-2 and the MPS-1; not to mention the support for dual subs and separate bass management for each.

All in all I am very excited for what's to come and thrilled at the performance of my latest upgrades.
Thanks for looking and I can't wait to start participating here again!
Warmest regards,
--chaz

Last edited:
The Chukker

The Chukker

Full Audioholic
Well, quick update here. Had my electrician come out and install another dedicated 20A line for the Emotiva XPR-2. Also, got the correct length HDMI cable from BJC so now it doesn't droop like it did in the above pic; much cleaner now.

Ant's eye view of the finished stack and panel:

Nice clean stack with lots of air for the components to breathe. The rack is a modular Salamander with adjustable height and perforated sides. Love it.

Full Monty:

A different side view:

Wire management and wall clearance for the panel:

From the other side:

Wire management still tidy with the addition of the XPR-2:

Next up of course is the wait for the Emo XMC-1 pre/pro. Right now the Oppo functions just great as a pre/pro with the exception of some bass management options I would like to have.
In any case, I am planning next to get rid of the archaic bookshelf that I have until now used as a media rack. Would love some ideas from you if you have any, possibly considering building some custom shelves for wall mounting.
Next up is paint and ambient lighting. After that the wife and I are going to put up acoustic panels as well.
With luck it will generate a Cinema feel even though it is a very confined space.

Thanks for viewing and I leave you with this video:
[video=youtube;e_XBNCzq8TQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_XBNCzq8TQ&list=HL1362519423[/video]

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Superb and clean looking setup. Are the back speakers behind your couch used often?

The Chukker

The Chukker

Full Audioholic
Superb and clean looking setup. Are the back speakers behind your couch used often?
Thank you, and yes. My normal split is 80/20 movies/music so the rear channels do get a workout depending on the source material.
Just wish they were further up and back but being bipolar makes their sound pretty diffuse and convincing. It's a compromise due to the room dimensions but I made the best of it ;)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis