The Chukker

The Chukker

Full Audioholic
Well, at least I'm on the right track to getting done. Here is my HT set up -- somewhat smallish room, set up was tricky especially sub wise. There are two Def Tech Supercube References flanking the listening position. Mains are Def Tech BP 7000SC's. Center is a Def Tech C/L/R 2500. Surrounds and Surround Backs are Def Tech BPVX/P's. Rear SB channels a bit of a compromise in terms of distance apart because of the heating vent, oh well I have a huge rear surround signature at the expense of a little clarity at the corners. Mains are toed in approx. 30 degrees. All speaker cables and the pre outs to the subs are run under the floor through my black widow infested crawl space. The large empty space in the rack has been filled recently with an Emotiva MPS-1 that I purchased after these photos were posted. Scroll down to next page to view it integrated into the rack. Display is a 3rd gen Samsung DLP (720p). Power conditioning is handled by a Tripplite LCR 2400 for the rack and Tripplite ISOBAR Ultras for the subs and surrounds. DVD player is a Bravo D1 DVI Media Player. Pre/Pro is a Denon AVR 3805. All cabling is Audioquest with the exception of the analog surround cables from Blue Jeans. Speaker stands are from Sanus.

The last pic is from my upstairs game room and is made up of hand me downs from upgrading the HT: Yamaha RX-V420 Reciever, BP7002's for mains, ProCenter 100, ProSub 80, Cinema80 surrounds, 43" 1st gen Samsung DLP, Xbox, 360, Monster Power HTS3600 Power Conditioner, AQ interconnects, and Frank Frazetta prints on teh walls (long live the King!).
Thanks for viewing and good luck on your HT projects as well,
Charles

Attachments

Last edited:
Matt34

Matt34

Challenging room to say the least! Looks like you made the most of it though.

Naves74

Naves74

Junior Audioholic
What do you think about your 61" Samsung DLP. I am planning on buying one this weekend and would just like to know what you think about it.

The Chukker

The Chukker

Full Audioholic
Naves74 said:
What do you think about your 61" Samsung DLP.
It's a great panel that gives you a lot of bang for the buck. Keep in mind that mine is 720p, as is most content out there. A good buddy of mine just bought one of the newer 1080p panels and to be honest it didn't scale non-native signals very well (which right now is everything) -- although to be fair 1080i looked "ok". Something to consider, but as in everything make up your own mind by auditioning the product in person...

Naves74

Naves74

Junior Audioholic
I have just wanted to know what someone who actually owned one thought. Thanks alot.

C

Cygnus

Senior Audioholic
I gotta say! Very nice! I love how good that Denon looks in the rack!

The Chukker

The Chukker

Full Audioholic
Thanks for the encouragement Cygnus, I appreciate it. I am sending AV123 a cashier's check tomorrow for the Emotiva MPS-1 and I should have it in about a week and a half or so; will post some new (hopefully better lit) pics when I get it installed in the rack :)
It will be a sad day for the HT when I have to/want to/can afford to buy a HDMI enabled pre/pro down the line -- the Denon has been a great unit that has been a joy to own and operate...
...but it will be a joyous day for the game room when it inherits it!
P.S. Funny pic in your signature...one of the reasons I wait for "it" to come out on DVD instead of seeing "it" in the theater.

Take care,
chux

S

skasol

Junior Audioholic
Chukker, thank you for all your help, I went ahead and I got the 7004's I couldn't afford the 7002's, I love the way this one sound, much better than my klipsch SF-3 now I am looking for a center channel, once again, thank you.

The Chukker

The Chukker

Full Audioholic
skasol said:
Chukker, thank you for all your help, I went ahead and I got the 7004's I couldn't afford the 7002's, I love the way this one sound, much better than my klipsch SF-3 now I am looking for a center channel, once again, thank you.
No prob, congrats on your purchase. I PM'ed you with some placement advice -- hope it is relevant for you. You will be very happy with your speakers -- 7004's IMO are overachievers in their price range.

Khellandros66

Khellandros66

Banned
I'm liking this new Definitive trend I got snowballing here... :D

IIRC I was one of the first big pushers for Deftech here. Gene, Yamahaluver, Clint any backing on this??

~Bob

The Chukker

The Chukker

Full Audioholic
No prob! Sent off the $ for the Emotiva MPS-1 today (now...what should I get the wife for Valentine's Day...) should have it no later than Monday or Tuesday. Will post updated pics with impressions ASAP!

Khellandros66

Khellandros66

Banned
WOAH

Just did the math you have 7,850 watts RMS for these speakers' built in subs, what do you do set em all to large or just the Front L/R and the rest to small and cut em off at 40Hz, then let the Supercube Ref's and BP700sc's do the rest??

~Bob

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Khellandros66 said:
WOAH

Just did the math you have 7,850 watts RMS for these speakers' built in subs, what do you do set em all to large or just the Front L/R and the rest to small and cut em off at 40Hz, then let the Supercube Ref's and BP700sc's do the rest??

~Bob
And 1800watts from the wall.

Come on Bob, you know this. ;)

Nice system Chukker! Your house must be the place for movies!

SheepStar

Khellandros66

Khellandros66

Banned
Sheep,

Thats only if he has one circuit for the room ;-)

What if he used a total of 1800w RMS simaltaniously across the system (ie, all speakers/subs (325w RMS for each SuperCube and each 7000sc and 100w RMS for each of the rears and the center) ) That would still equate to a ton of impact...

A good example of when this might happen is War of The Worlds (2005) when they are trying to reach the ferry, the first tripod over the hill blows the horn and the bass comes from all channels. Or during the siege at Bastogne in Band of Brothers, when the mortars and 88s are dropping..

~Bob

Last edited:
The Chukker

The Chukker

Full Audioholic
Thanks Sheep, Khellandros; I appreciate the positive feedback.
As for bass management, I have it set up LARGE for all channels. The 2 SC References are used only for the LFE channel, therefore the crossover frequency is moot since all channels are being run full range. It was NOT plug and play -- it took lots of tweaking, re-tweaking, and critcal listening with a variety of source material to find a good balance for music and movies. I only listen to pcm music in 2 channel pure direct, dts music I listen to in 7.2; Movies are quite the treat -- tremendous amount of tight bass and floor shaking low end, thankfully without a hint of bloom (the exception being movies with overly hot mixes). It's funny that you mention War of the Worlds because it was nearly unwatchable with its piss poor mix -- not a favorite in my household :( However, all I have to do is pop in Eric Clapton's One More Car One More Rider dts disc or as you said Band of Brothers (my all time fave dvd's btw) and all is well again.
As for your wattage estimate, I believe you low balled me: 1800w per 7000SC + 1800w for each SC Reference + 150w Center + 4 x 125w per BPVX/P + whatever the 3805 puts out (I believe Audioholics' review found it to be 77 watts/channel RMS) for a total ~ 8390w
Now, that being said -- and here is the "bad" news -- I talked to Chet @ Definitive about this very subject as I was afraid of tripping breakers and what not; and he stated to me (I wish I saved the email doggone it) that the onboard amps only draw max power for a few milliseconds even during extremely loud passages. I wouldn't ever get anywhere near that kind of simultaneous output and if I ever did I am quite confident that those speakers would probably detonate every light bulb I have in the house from the concussion. If you look closely at the pics, you can see that each tower and sub has its own outlet (and power conditioner), and the big beefy voltage regulator is being reserved for the Emotiva MPS-1 amp which should be coming in less than a week.

Last edited:
The Chukker

The Chukker

Full Audioholic
Hey guys, just got the MPS-1 in and the results are quite astounding. Music seems to be crisper and cleaner; movies have a lot tighter punch. All around bass response seems tighter and cleaner. Not sure how it performs at the limit yet, but even my wife notices the difference (this is a major victory fellas). I can get to about -10 db on bass heavy movies before my little room just gets overloaded. The MPS-1 looks great in the rack and that helps justify its price tag; I am a little concerned with heat though -- it puts out a lot more of it than the 3805 did on its own. Attached are some pix of the MPS-1 integrated into the setup, no further upgrade plans until blu-ray / hd dvd. Oh and, how about the nice wire management, yes? ;)

Attachments

Last edited:
Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Good Gawd! That room is TINY!

and you have a ho-gillion subwoofers in it? Must be heaven...

Where do you live? I'm coming over. :D

SheepStar

S

stevo137

Banned
Looks great Chukker! Can imagine how good it sounds.
I have been playing around a bit with the angle position of my speakers and think that the mids and highs bit softer, fuller, and more defined when angled towards the corners as you have done.
What are your thoughts on this?

The Chukker

The Chukker

Full Audioholic
stevo137 said:
I have been playing around a bit with the angle position of my speakers and think that the mids and highs bit softer, fuller, and more defined when angled towards the corners as you have done.
What are your thoughts on this?
I guess it's subjective for every listener, but I really like the imaging you get with a toed in set up. Also realize that my set up is not optimal: mains are too close to the walls (especially since they are bi-polar), odd reflection angles, smallish space, no room treatment, etc. The amount of toe in I have works great and gives me the best performance for the room I have, but perhaps (or most certainly) it would be different in a larger, treated room.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis