About to pull the trigger on 2.0 system, opinions? Also, speaker placement too close?

Lulimet

Lulimet

Full Audioholic
The Wavecrests would work better in your situation because they are front ported. The Cantons are rear ported. It will be a problem if you are going to put them inside that cabinet.

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
Wonder whether @krzywica still has his PSB Image B15's? If indeed he's been trying to sell them for 2 years, he might make you a deal and cover shipping. :)

'Course he's been in absentia since February....

I also wonder whether it'd be possible to plug the rear port hole in the Overnight Sensations kit and move the port to the top or front of the cabinet? I bet one could find a banana plug terminal cup that'd plug the hole, if one were so inclined.

Last edited:
tmurnin

tmurnin

Full Audioholic
I don't understand this. You are moving to a new home in a year, but you don't know what that home looks like yet or what space it may or may not have for a/v equipment. Right now, you have an incredibly suboptimal setup for any kind of speakers other than a sound bar, and you have a pretty limited budget with which to work. Yet you seem determined to buy speakers now that will fit in this suboptimal setup, which may end up being completely wrong for your new home. Why not just wait to buy something until you know what your home will look like, thereby making sure you don't end up wasting money? People are making suggestions for you, but I think it's obvious by the tenor of their message that most don't think this is a great idea. Are there speakers that you can get to work with that setup? Sure. Will those speakers also translate to being good mains in a more traditional room? Possibly, but likely not. Why not wait?

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
Will those speakers also translate to being good mains in a more traditional room? Possibly, but likely not. Why not wait?
The idea is to get a pair of bookshelf speakers now and he'll use them as surrounds later. I think OP's quest is reasonable, albeit very difficult given the space constraints. In any case, I don't think I'd want simply to make do with TV speakers for a year, either. I can certainly see why he's anxious to get started. And if he'd rather get something he can reuse when he's in a house but he doesn't think he'd reuse a speaker bar or TV platform speaker, then his quest for bookshelf speakers makes more sense. I hope he'll take our advice and get a subwoofer.

For what it's worth, the WaveCrest HVL-1 he has his eye on would indeed make good mains when paired with a subwoofer I think.

tmurnin

tmurnin

Full Audioholic
The problem with the idea of using his bookshelves as surrounds later is that he doesn't know what his future room will look like. If he has a setup where he can place the bookshelves on stands to use as surrounds, then great, but many, many rooms don't end up working that way and people have to use in-wall/in-ceiling or something otherwise mountable speakers for surrounds. If he wasn't dealing with a limited budget, I'd say go ahead and get what you want and if you have to sell and rebuy once you're in your home, fine. However, if you're in a situation where you only have a very finite budget, you want to make sure you don't waste any of that budget and (in my opinion at least), buying speakers before you know the size and configuration of your room is a pretty dicey thing to do.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis