About to pull the trigger on 2.0 system, opinions? Also, speaker placement too close?

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
This is a difficult situation, man. You need front-ported 5" speakers to meet the 7" height requirement and mounting area enclosed on 5 sides. 5" speakers don't have very good extension. The Behringer MS20 have a response of 50Hz and a width of 6.1 inches I believe. The Presonus Eris E44 also looks promising, but doesn't go quite as deep (55Hz). It's also pre-order (shipping who-knows-when). The Fibhorn 2tbc3 looks interesting with its F3 of 45Hz, but has low sensitivity and power handling, maxing out around 95 - 97 dB or so. The Cantons you mentioned would be nice if they weren't rear ported. So would the ELAC B5.

I think you need to decide whether you want bass extension or stereo separation. And with your speakers only about 3 feet apart or so, is stereo separation a moot point? I daresay, probably so. Having the tweeters at knee height won't help much either.

You're not going to amaze and astound anyone with the sound no matter what you do. I think you'll probably go farther with the TV stand thing ultimately. At least that option has the potential to play the lowest.

Last edited:
mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
I know, but I don't want to be annoying ot the neighbors. Guess I'll have to live without a sub for now
Let me ask you, is this setup you are considering for TV watching only?
If so, I would also suggest a sound bar with a wireless sub. I have one in the family room and is a lot better
than the TV speakers. The sub is fine for TV watching and needed but not so punchy as to upset neighbors.
Consider one of the Vizio sound bars, within your budget.

tmurnin

tmurnin

Full Audioholic
In that space, I'd just go with a soundbar that can also be equipped with a sub unless you're planning on rearranging your setup later. Cramming budget bookshelves into that stand and then laying them on their side won't do much for you over a soundbar and the soundbar will probably look a lot cleaner as well.

B

badaboom423

Audioholic Intern
Ok guys, so I spoke with the wife about all of this. We're going to be moving in about a year to our own house, so in a year I would have the space to get everything as it should. We'd rather spend some money on speakers now, even if they won't be optimal, than get a soundbar that we'll stop using when I move and have a space for a real home theater system. My questions is, is that receiver a good receiver to build a system on? Also, I would like big standing speakers when I move, if I did that, could I use the bookshelf speakers I'm thinking of getting now and using them as the surround sound of a 5.1 system, or is it another type of speaker that needs to be used for that? Thanks!

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
I still recommend the Denon receiver for the reasons already stated. Yes, it's a good receiver on which to build a worthwhile sound system.

And yes, you can definitely repurpose bookshelf speakers as surrounds. Not only do you need front-ported speakers now to deal with the mostly-enclosed placement, but front porting will also make them sound better when wall mounted. Now we just need to find you some good front-ported bookshelf speakers with uncommonly low extension. Where do you live? Maybe we'll get lucky and find something amazing on Craigslist within your budget. :)

Hey, do you have any other televisions in your apartment, maybe in the bedroom? If so, maybe you could still consider the TV stand speaker option for now, then plan to use it in the bedroom a year from now.

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
We'd rather spend some money on speakers now, even if they won't be optimal, than get a soundbar that we'll stop using when I move and have a space for a real home theater system.
Your logic is good, but a budget of $400 for an AVR and 2 speakers doesn't fit within that logic. Rojo has been spending a lot of time to help you, but you seem resistant.

Let me sum it up:
1) $400 for an AVR & 2 speakers is on the low side.
2) Buying speakers that fit your cubby holes and sound good will be tough.
3) Buying speakers that fit your cubby holes, sound good and will make good surrounds later will be even tougher.
4) A good soundbar, ("TV base thingy"), will sound much better than junk speakers stuffed in the cubby holes.
5) A soundbar can be moved to another room, (bedroom, kitchen, etc), when you get a real system in your new house.
6) A subwoofer does not necessarily mean bothering the neighbors.

When you move in a year, are you confident you'll have extra $$$ to spend on a home theater? It may be possible the stuff you buy today is still used for some time after you move.

Here's my suggestion:
> Get a good soundbar w/ external subwoofer capability for now.
> Add a subwoofer when you have several hundred dollars available.
> Retire the soundbar to another room when you have $$$ for a HT.

B

badaboom423

Audioholic Intern
I still recommend the Denon receiver for the reasons already stated. Yes, it's a good receiver on which to build a worthwhile sound system.

And yes, you can definitely repurpose bookshelf speakers as surrounds. Not only do you need front-ported speakers now to deal with the mostly-enclosed placement, but front porting will also make them sound better when wall mounted. Now we just need to find you some good front-ported bookshelf speakers with uncommonly low extension. Where do you live? Maybe we'll get lucky and find something amazing on Craigslist within your budget. :)

Hey, do you have any other televisions in your apartment, maybe in the bedroom? If so, maybe you could still consider the TV stand speaker option for now, then plan to use it in the bedroom a year from now.
Don't really use my other tv, that's why I'm hesitant to buy the tv stand. Are the speakers I was thinking of not good? I know they're front ported. I live in Raleigh NC if that helps.

B

badaboom423

Audioholic Intern
Your logic is good, but a budget of $400 for an AVR and 2 speakers doesn't fit within that logic. Rojo has been spending a lot of time to help you, but you seem resistant.

Let me sum it up:
1) $400 for an AVR & 2 speakers is on the low side.
2) Buying speakers that fit your cubby holes and sound good will be tough.
3) Buying speakers that fit your cubby holes, sound good and will make good surrounds later will be even tougher.
4) A good soundbar, ("TV base thingy"), will sound much better than junk speakers stuffed in the cubby holes.
5) A soundbar can be moved to another room, (bedroom, kitchen, etc), when you get a real system in your new house.
6) A subwoofer does not necessarily mean bothering the neighbors.

When you move in a year, are you confident you'll have extra $$$ to spend on a home theater? It may be possible the stuff you buy today is still used for some time after you move.

Here's my suggestion:
> Get a good soundbar w/ external subwoofer capability for now.
> Add a subwoofer when you have several hundred dollars available.
> Retire the soundbar to another room when you have $$$ for a HT.
I don't really use my other tv, which is why I'm reluctant to get a soundbar. Also, I could use the speakers I get now for my pc after I'm able to set up a 5.1 system when I move. Are the speakers I was thinking of really junk?

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
I don't really use my other tv, which is why I'm reluctant to get a soundbar. Also, I could use the speakers I get now for my pc after I'm able to set up a 5.1 system when I move. Are the speakers I was thinking of really junk?
No, the speakers you were thinking of are not junk. Not at all! It's just that they're intended to be used with a subwoofer. If you want to avoid using a subwoofer for now, you should look for something with deeper extension.

The Audioengine P4 looks like an interesting candidate. I'm still shopping.

B

badaboom423

Audioholic Intern
No, the speakers you were thinking of are not junk. Not at all! It's just that they're intended to be used with a subwoofer. If you want to avoid using a subwoofer for now, you should look for something with deeper extension.

The Audioengine P4 looks like an interesting candidate. I'm still shopping.
I COULD get a sub if it's like $100-$120

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
How has a sub worked out in your apartment complex? No complaints?
I don't play my stuff loud during the week only on weekends and no complains. Just use your discretion. What size is the area? Then we can recommend a used sub on CL. $138 for that sub is great and new.

B

badaboom423

Audioholic Intern
I could place it by the fireplace, I have like 20". Also, the place I would put it, has no carpet, would it be better for the neighbors to put it on carpet to try and dampen the vibrations. Also, wouldn't a non-bottom firing sub be better for me, do those evne exist?

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
The NXG NX-BAS-500 is fairly close to your budget. It digs a little deeper than the Dayton afterlife2 mentioned. Newegg's poor customer reviews notwithstanding, it is a well-designed sub for the money. You can turn down the volume to a conservative level if you're concerned about the neighbors, but it should have solid enough performance that you'll likely be able to let it off its chain once you move into a house in a year. If you'd be willing to do that, then pull the trigger on the WaveCrests!

I also found a pair of black Audioengine P4's near Raleigh. Since they offer free shipping and you're not far away anyway, maybe you could submit an offer of $200 with customer pick-up. Since they won't have to pay to ship, they might agree.

B

badaboom423

Audioholic Intern
The NXG NX-BAS-500 is fairly close to your budget. It digs a little deeper than the Dayton afterlife2 mentioned. Newegg's poor customer reviews notwithstanding, it is a well-designed sub for the money. You can turn down the volume to a conservative level if you're concerned about the neighbors, but it should have solid enough performance that you'll likely be able to let it off its chain once you move into a house in a year. If you'd be willing to do that, then pull the trigger on the WaveCrests!

I also found a pair of black Audioengine P4's near Raleigh. Since they offer free shipping and you're not far away anyway, maybe you could submit an offer of $200 with customer pick-up. Since they won't have to pay to ship, they might agree.
So the AudioENgine P4 would provide lower frequencies than the WaveCrests, and I would be able to use them with no subwoofer?

By the way, a million thanks for helping me understand all of this! I'm a noob :D

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
So the AudioENgine P4 would provide lower frequencies than the WaveCrests, and I would be able to use them with no subwoofer?

By the way, a million thanks for helping me understand all of this! I'm a noob :D
Don't get me wrong. The WaveCrests + subwoofer would definitely sound better than the Audioengine P4 without sub. I think the Audioengine speakers are intended for nearfield monitor use or as computer speakers anyway. They were designed with boundary gains in mind, so the results in your entertainment center's cubbies is a bit unpredictable. The bass response might or might not be as anticipated.

I'm still looking....

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis