A Meeting of Audioholics

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm cringing! And, it ain't because of your toes.....!:p
It looked better all spread out like in the Mantown thread but I had to get the TT away from the speakers and then the Sony came along and it got ugly. I need a rack but it's not in the cards money wise. I do however have a rack of ribs that just came out of the oven ... I'd like to hang out but I'm not always completely honest. :D

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
No but the Clint Eastwood/ Spaghetti Western shrine didn't go unnoticed. I suppose that was a real gun laying there. I wanted to check it out but didn't want to get my finger prints on it.

I am so diggin' this CD Text thing. I never had that before and think it's absolutely soogin'. You gotta teach me to burn copies of my CD's with that on it. First of all, are some blanks better than others? Let's just start with that and I'll get to my 20 questions thing after I have the blanks.
Yep it is a real cap and ball pistol. I always get whatever cd's are on sale at the time. I have never really noticed much difference.

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
some of the really cheap what i like to call "random brand" (in other words you have never heard of the brand anywhere till now or it has no brand name) the reflective layer will actually flake off over time. this has happened to me a lot with super cheap CD's.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Hey Alex, when did you pick up the Salerno-Sonnenberg CD? Did you pick it up for the Massenet (remember the video you linked a while back), or was it because of my discussion with PENG about violin recordings? Nice surprise in the pic for me. :) I haven't heard that recording in many years. Whaddya think of it?

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Hey Alex, when did you pick up the Salerno-Sonnenberg CD? Did you pick it up for the Massenet (remember the video you linked a while back), or was it because of my discussion with PENG about violin recordings? Nice surprise in the pic for me. :) I haven't heard that recording in many years. Whaddya think of it?
What a memory you have for all things classical! I don't remember linking Massenet nor did I remember what Massenet was but now that I look I remember the 'words' -Meditation from "Thais"-. I'm going to google that again and read up on it while I listen to it to get a better feel and association for it.

You give me too much credit. I got this because it was 2 bucks at the Goodwill store. I figure that any EMI recording is worth having along with Teldec and anything put out by the BBC (thanks to TLS). I do happen to be aware of who Nadja is because of a documentary I Netflixed called Speaking in Strings so I trusted the performance would be top flight.

The Mendelssohn Concerto in E minor is making it's way into being recognizable for me. You know what this is like for me? It's like watching Chinese martial arts films and paying attention to the dialogue. I understand none of it! You seem to be like a native born Mandarin speaker. My native tongue is more like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qb69wSDCeOg

Anyway, I'm going to make Nadja there the subject of my first burn with text lesson and I have to get my @ss to work so Ciao! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
It looked better all spread out like in the Mantown thread but I had to get the TT away from the speakers and then the Sony came along and it got ugly. I need a rack but it's not in the cards money wise. I do however have a rack of ribs that just came out of the oven ... I'd like to hang out but I'm not always completely honest. :D
I recall seeing photos of a rack that you were working on. What happened to that?

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
....the Salerno-Sonnenberg CD...
Hey Jostemeat, thanks for pointing that out. I've been on the lookout for a good recording of "Meditation from Thais" and I think I'll look for that one.

...You give me too much credit. I got this because it was 2 bucks at the Goodwill store. I figure that any EMI recording is worth having along with Teldec and anything put out by the BBC (thanks to TLS). I do happen to be aware of who Nadja is because of a documentary I Netflixed called Speaking in Strings so I trusted the performance would be top flight.

The Mendelssohn Concerto in E minor is making it's way into being recognizable for me. You know what this is like for me? It's like watching Chinese martial arts films and paying attention to the dialogue. I understand none of it! You seem to be like a native born Mandarin speaker. My native tongue is more like this. ...
Alex, I'm with you on this. I own a lot of classical music and I don't really "understand" any of it. I just like to listen to it. I know quite a few people who say they "like" classical music, but only as background noise. I sit and listen alone, when I get the opportunity. I don't understand it, I just like it.

You compared it to watching Chinese martial arts films and paying attention to the dialogue. Well, you could just enjoy them slapping the s*it out of each other and ignore the dialogue....:D

I have a book somewhere in the house called "What To Listen For In Music", by Aaron Copeland (The "Appalachian Spring" & "Fanfare For The Common Man" guy). I read it about 20 years ago and have since forgotten everything he said. :eek: I do recall that he used plain English and minimal jargon for people like us. I'm gonna have to dig that up again....

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
These Audioholic Twister Team meetings need to be cleared by the Emperor first :D

gmichael

gmichael

Audioholic Spartan
Oh ... what section do you moderate?

BTW, I was the one who posted later but that's because I type slow and think even slower.

If my living arrangements change I will totally be looking to make some subs and I would like them to be outrageous. My goodness that has left me with a lasting impression of what the possibilities are with this hobby. I don't know what thread to post these posts in but the main thing is for people to know that bass is good.

Oh, and Newbury Street has a Bang and Olufsen on it. ;)
But would you end up being one of those guys who brag about how much better your DIY sub is than anything we could buy?

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I recall seeing photos of a rack that you were working on. What happened to that?
It's right where I left it. :rolleyes:
EDIT: Besides, that's for the living room.

These Audioholic Twister Team meetings need to be cleared by the Emperor first :D
I think Jeff is double jointed. He never should have been able to get left foot to blue and I thought I could hear something ripping when he did it. :eek:

But would you end up being one of those guys who brag about how much better your DIY sub is than anything we could buy?
I brag now and my subs are sh!t! :D ... but there's two !!! :p

Last edited:
jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
I think Jeff is double jointed. He never should have been able to get left foot to blue and I thought I could hear something ripping when he did it. :eek:
Oh man I hope not! I have had that repaired once already:eek:

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
What a memory you have for all things classical! I don't remember linking Massenet nor did I remember what Massenet was but now that I look I remember the 'words' -Meditation from "Thais"-. I'm going to google that again and read up on it while I listen to it to get a better feel and association for it.
Um, I probably only remember the things I already knew, so you might be giving me too much credit too. But, the video you once linked is no longer available, however it was the same work.

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/showpost.php?p=684397&postcount=54
I do happen to be aware of who Nadja is because of a documentary I Netflixed called Speaking in Strings so I trusted the performance would be top flight.
I never knew of it, so thanks (though the linky doesn't work for me). I once heard this album years ago, it's pretty fun. I choose this link since you can hear samples.
http://www.nonesuch.com/albums/nadja-salerno-sonnenberg-sergio-odair-assad

EDIT: Oh, this is where your recording came up here at AH (in my response to PENG, but while it used to be my fav, I've learned a lot since then . . . so hmmm):
http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/showthread.php?p=676826#post676826

So, I wondered if you put that CD in the pic for me to find, lol, considering the video and discussion. I won't discredit you further. :p

Hey Jostemeat, thanks for pointing that out. I've been on the lookout for a good recording of "Meditation from Thais" and I think I'll look for that one.
Let me see if I have it in possession, firstly, and if I do, I will listen to that track for you and tell you what I think. However, it's not like I know who does it well. It's an easier work. I would probably mildly recommend a recording based on the rest of the playlist more than anything. I don't like the idea of buying a CD for a single short track.

Last edited:
Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Maybe you need a 3rd.:D
Considering dkane's thread about complaining neighbors, I don't think so. But if I were to go that route ... and if work keeps up, but it won't ... I would like two more of the same in nearfield corner locations. Oh yeah, corner loaded and EQ'ed ... oh, yeah.

My favorite rendition I have heard of the Mendelssohn is by Nadja Solerno-Sonnenberg.
That's way cool! It took me 30 minutes of reading that post to find the Nadja reference. :rolleyes:
It ain't easy being me. :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis