A Meeting of Audioholics

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
I met Alex today. He drove up from RI to visit a while and snagged my Sony CD changer from me. We had a nice visit and I am sure we will get together again. :) We will have to set something up with others from this part of the country at some point.

Somehow though I get the sense he want's me to help him build some new subs;)

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
My new best friend, Jeff.

Yeah, so I drove up to NH to buy a Sony CD changer and met Jeff. Not even a hint of craziness. I thought for sure some of the crazy would show but man, this guy keeps that stuff buried deep. So listen, I got to check out his gear (Doug, let's not) and I am seeing that when Anunnaki asks what people's design goals are it's so that they can be met. I haven't seen a bass intensive movie at anybodies house before because I am more interested in music but let me tell you that getting to see the beginning of T3 with Jeff's DIY subs was incredible. I use to think that the point of movies was to tell a story. Now I see that a movie is simply a vehicle for bass. That alone was worth the drive ... and most of the money.

Sorry, Mike. No pic's. I was gonna ask to see what the Mod control panel looks like but I was too busy with the A/V stuff to gossip and tell tales. BTW, Jeff hooked me up with extra goodies to go along with the player that exceed the player in value so he is my new best friend. ;) So far the few guys I have met from AH have all been first rate people ... except Doug. :D j/k :p

Even though Jeff didn't say anything about the fofo, I could tell he was mighty impressed.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Ummm, maybe you could use you Mod powers and move my thread into this one.

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
Ummm, maybe you could use you Mod powers and move my thread into this one.
Whoops I did not see yours when put mine up. Someone else will have to merge it I don't have that ability in this section.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I don't have that ability in this section.
Oh ... what section do you moderate?

BTW, I was the one who posted later but that's because I type slow and think even slower.

If my living arrangements change I will totally be looking to make some subs and I would like them to be outrageous. My goodness that has left me with a lasting impression of what the possibilities are with this hobby. I don't know what thread to post these posts in but the main thing is for people to know that bass is good.

Oh, and Newbury Street has a Bang and Olufsen on it. ;)

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm quite sure it was dirty.

Some stains on the upholstery and used condoms in the back.

(NTTAWWT)
I took it through a car wash before I left and added a can of freon so I wouldn't be deaf and stinky by the time I got up there.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
He was deaf and stinky when he left though:eek:
I have heard some really nice systems and I have heard some nice subs but since I neglected to listen to movies up until now those subs take the cake for loudest lows. The couch felt like somebody was shaking it!

It's interesting to see different systems with different strengths. What was that tune you said you like to search out the capability of subs with? I'm diggin' the extras as I type.

lol!

I used to have a 2003 ford focus. It was poo >_>
I like the idea of getting my money's worth out of a car by maintaining it but my kind of success with cars might be better attributed to the power of prayer than good mechanics. The Y2k fofo has 164k and my 93 F150 has like 305k (miles not klicks) ... so ... ;) ... let's not jinx this for me.

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
I have heard some really nice systems and I have heard some nice subs but since I neglected to listen to movies up until now those subs take the cake for loudest lows. The couch felt like somebody was shaking it!

It's interesting to see different systems with different strengths. What was that tune you said you like to search out the capability of subs with? I'm diggin' the extras as I type.
That was Gato Barbieri of his Que Pasa CD. First song called called "straight into the sunrise"

When you come back and we have more time I will show you some other cool stuff.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
When you come back and we have more time I will show you some other cool stuff.
Time really is the commodity, isn't it? I hope you needed that time away from the books. I know I needed that time away from my girl so that she could be pissed at me for driving two states away like I was running away to join the circus. :rolleyes:

I left the Sony out in the car to avoid the third degree. I'm getting more and more like adk/Craig.

Edit: I dug up your review of the A5.

Last edited:
its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
I like the idea of getting my money's worth out of a car by maintaining it but my kind of success with cars might be better attributed to the power of prayer than good mechanics. The Y2k fofo has 164k and my 93 F150 has like 305k (miles not klicks) ... so ... ;) ... let's not jinx this for me.
Yeah, I hope you continue to have good luck with your car. I'd probably still be driving mine if it didn't get totaled in an accident in 2006 (not my fault!). I can't recall exactly how many miles it had on it, but it was less than 50k. I did all the regular maintenance and all that stuff but I just had some bad luck and things broke and I had to have some pretty pricey repairs done.

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
Time really is the commodity, isn't it? I hope you needed that time away from the books. I know I needed that time away from my girl so that she could be pissed at me for driving two states away like I was running away to join the circus. :rolleyes:

I left the Sony out in the car to avoid the third degree. I'm getting more and more like adk/Craig.

Edit: I dug up your review of the A5.
Well now that I am not in class every day I have a lot more time. lol that's funny my wife still does not know to this day how much I paid for some of of the things I have. Shhhhh!

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
Glad to see you made it in one piece. How's Greg's rec'r treating you? These AH'ers are alright, huh? :)
Thanks. The receiver is working just fine. And yeah, the AH folks are pretty decent all around :)

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
... my wife still does not know to this day how much I paid for some of of the things I have. Shhhhh!
That seems to be a common theme except for Rick's case. His wife bought him the Sig8's and forgot what she spent. Now nobody knows how much they cost back then.

I just tore Mantown a new one looking for the business card with insulation prices on them. The bags have (6) 2" pieces in them totaling 48ft^2. The 8lb mineral wool is $0.50/ft^2. The OC703 is $0.85/ft^2 and the OC705 is $1.65/ft^2. The OC rigid insulation can be wrapped but the corners will round out some. The frames are nicer looking but you give up some sound absorption from the edges. If you google owens corning 700 pdf the first result gives you the chart for the various products.

I wanted to ask about what model center you have and what Studio series (60 or 100) it is part of. I thought I could tell that the voicing of it was 'nicer' than the Monitor 7 towers you have. I think they should send you some Grammas, Subdudes and MoPads to review ... and then let you keep them. As familiar as you are with the bass characteristics of the A5's and your subs I think the difference would practically jump out at you. Greg had the A5's and mentioned the improvement the MoPads made. It's amazing that with all the work and expense that obviously went into your home theater there is ever so much further you could go ... and you actually might go the extra if you could stop watching movies. :)

I just told the girl about the Sony CDP-CX355. I think I might understand why the acquisition of gear might bug her. It's how I feel about her buying shoes ... but she's impressed with the Loreena McKinnett Book of Secrets CD so there's hope of receiving her blessing on yet another AH bromance. :)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis