A dangerous thought...

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

A good discussion!:D Yeah, the idea of selling them for $1/$2 each isn't appealing. I'd rather keep 'em than give 'em away. I'd probably start by listing them here and at AudioCircle (where several members have expressed an interest).

I'm just thinking out loud. It would be cool to be able to look back at my collection in 20 years, but who knows if there'll be anything to play them back on? If I could sell a couple hundred it would free up some cash to at least by some new releases. Truth be told, I'd probably use the money to buy some waterstones and a new knife or two.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
Ok , so don't back them up , sell them for pennies and buy them all over again full price mind you, just to find out that there is a new format 2 years from now.

obey , comply, consume.
My point is that renting any format and making a copy of it is piracy. If you OWN them you can make copies, sell the originals for pennies on the dollar or whatever make you happy. It doesn't matter if the format will be obsolete in a few years. ALL formats will be obsolete in a few years.

Like I said, I am not the law and I don't care what people do. I know several people who do the exact same thing - rent a DVD and copy it - but recognize it for what it is.

mpompey

mpompey

Senior Audioholic
...I think I might keep them, and re-buy a few of the really good ones on BD if they are on special, or off ebay.
Sounds like a smart plan to me. I'm not going to be in a rush for BD even if HD-DVD format lost, I want to see the prices of players drop a bit. (may not happen if the dollar keeps falling overseas)

The green light for me to update my projector and DVD player will be when Lord of the Rings EE get a BD street date.

Besides Star Wars, LOTR series, The matrix films, I can't immediately think of any of my SD collection that I'll double or triple dip on.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis