A dangerous thought...

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

Well, now that HD-DVD is dead, BluRay will get it's chance to sink or swim. I believe that it will succeed, but even if it doesn't, some form of HD will. Be it downloads or discs, the days of NTSC are numbered. So I've been contemplating a drastic move lately...I'm considering selling my DVD collection off while it still has some value.

If I do so I'll keep my TV series and probably my 150 or so favorite discs. Then the rest, about 350 or so, will be sold.

Has anyone else done this? It's a drastic step, and one that's a bit scary. I've always been a collector and my collection is my baby!

No way I'll do with my CD collection, though!:eek::D

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
very scary indeed, but that would require a massive new investment say: buying all the 350 movies again on BD.

right now, I buy BD's for:
-movies I haven't bought yet
-movies I really really like (so I have both the BD and SD versions)

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

True. But I recently returned to school. Between fulltime school and fulltime work I only watch about 1 movie ever three weeks!:eek: And I don't see that changing within the next few years. And to give a nod to all those guys who just rent, never buy- I have a lot of movies I simply won't watch again. Some were important at one point in my life or have some special meaning, but many are just impulse buys.

Plus, HD is driving a dagger thru DVD's heart. Those of you with regular HD content, tell me- can you really still enjoy DVD? Even thru a good upsampling player you can't get blood from a stone. Even the best DVDs look flat & uninvolving compared to a true HD signal.

Would I be insane to ditch a few hundred discs while they're still worth something?:confused::rolleyes:

J

jochie00

Enthusiast
You probably won't make a lot of money out of it by selling them.
You can also stick them in a box. In case of..
But I did do that too and even after a year I never looked back at them. So maybe selling them is the only option.

Same with my CD collection. It is sitting in a corner and I never listen to 85 percent of them. I stream a lot of MP3's these days for modern music. the quality of recent cd's these days is sub standaard anyway

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
Plus, HD is driving a dagger thru DVD's heart. Those of you with regular HD content, tell me- can you really still enjoy DVD? Even thru a good upsampling player you can't get blood from a stone. Even the best DVDs look flat & uninvolving compared to a true HD signal.
I don't know about that. Now I don't yet own a HD DVD player or even an upconverting player but I see SD movies on DVD or digital cable vs HD movies on cable and it is just not an awe inspiring difference to me.

People have remarked that HD is so remarkable that you find yourself watching stupid crap like the weather channel in HD just because the picture is so good. I say bunk. It's not an earth shattering difference in any way.

If you're watching the picture as opposed to the content...maybe. That is exactly why the masses won't be migrating to HD DVD anytime soon.

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
I agree with MDS. What I would do is get your favorite movies, say something you can count on your fingers, and double dip those, there are movies that don't need to be in high def DVD, such as old black and white classics, any decent upconverting player will do them justice, movies where there isn't a lot of action or colorful scenery, such as the Godfather series, those are movies that most of the acting/action takes place indoors and the lighting is subdued. Now those that I would spring for hi def: anything with sci-fi action, car action, or anything with spectacular views like nature documentaries. I have a small collection of DVDs around 100, out of those
Independence Day, Fifth Element, Aeon Flux, Forbidden PLanet (old movie so it depends how well the transfer was done), Star Wars, POTC, and maybe four or five more will get the Blu-ray treatment as for the rest I don't think I will, there won't be that much difference, especially a black and white movie like When The Earth Stood Still.

Jack Hammer

Jack Hammer

Audioholic Field Marshall
... And to give a nod to all those guys who just rent, never buy- I have a lot of movies I simply won't watch again. Some were important at one point in my life or have some special meaning, but many are just impulse buys...
Most my collection is the same. I got my monies worth from them years ago, having watched them several times only to be retired to a box now. Most aren't really worth much, maybe a dollar or two. So I plan on keeping mine until I just sell a whole box for $X. It's fair to agree with others that only a few classics are worth upgrading to HD, especially ones with a poor dvd transfer that'll still get watched (the Warriors, Road Warrior, Terminator,etc.). The others I say keep, even stored away in a box, unless you are positive you'll never watch them again. It's still nice to not have to wait a week to get a movie in the mail when you suddenly decide you want to see it again.

Jack

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
agreed with stratman.

comedies for example don't really need HD

M

Mort Corey

Senior Audioholic
Unless (or when) they can get the price down to the cost of an every day DVD player (say $150 range) and the software under $20, the whole BluRay drama may just turn into another SACD/DVD-A dead horse. With the economy slowing down, along with the value of the dollar depreciating, those imported goods may stay at their present price for quite some time....maybe even increase some. I don't see the dramatic price drops on technology that we've become accustomed too over the last few years.

Of course, i could be completely wrong....just ask my wife:D

Mort

The Chukker

The Chukker

Full Audioholic
You're right on the $

I don't know about you, but I bought most of my DVD collection in a purely impulsive manner and haven't revisited the majority of them more than once. I have a favorite selection of discs that I revisit often (for various reasons), but most just collect dust. Some of them were bought simply because I could. Go ahead and get rid of your 350 or so discs, you won't miss them at all; matter of fact could you sell my SD collection for a 25% consignment fee?
I'm totally serious.
I really am enjoying BD now; the visual upgrade you get somewhat used to quickly -- but the audio is just light years better than what is offered on DVD (with some notable reference exceptions).

Last edited:
F

FguerraG

Junior Audioholic
Back up your movies!!!

if you don't already own a form of HTPC , XBMC , Apple Tv or DVR if the short future YOU WILL even if you are not tech savvy you should back up

there are programs so easy to use like DVD Fab Decrypter that are mostly 2 or 3 clicks to back up a movie, once you back up your collection the media player doesn't care if it's HD , BD or standard DVD it just plays them.

I haven't bought a DVD since I got netflix , I get my movies back them up and out they go (rinse and repeat)

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
I haven't bought a DVD since I got netflix , I get my movies back them up and out they go (rinse and repeat)
Um...they aren't YOUR movies when you rent them from Netflix. 'Backing them up' in that sense is copying them...in other words piracy. If you BUY the disc and then make a backup copy that is perfectly legitimate, but I'm not the RIAA or MPAA and people can do whatever they want just don't rationalize it because it is stealing plain and simple.

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

Thanks to everyone for some thought provoking posts. You make good points, and I certainly wouldn't want to sell all my stuff for $1 per disc. Although to be fair, I did point out I'd keep my TV series and my top 100 or so movies.

I don't know about you, but I bought most of my DVD collection in a purely impulsive manner and haven't revisited the majority of them more than once. I have a favorite selection of discs that I revisit often (for various reasons), but most just collect dust. Some of them were bought simply because I could. Go ahead and get rid of your 350 or so discs, you won't miss them at all; matter of fact could you sell my SD collection for a 25% consignment fee?
I'm totally serious.
I really am enjoying BD now; the visual upgrade you get somewhat used to quickly -- but the audio is just light years better than what is offered on DVD (with some notable reference exceptions).

I dunno about selling yours- I'm not even sure about selling mine!:p But I agree with your post 100%. I could sell a couple hundred and not even notice they were gone, except that if I did so the rest would fit on my rack.:D

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
I'll give you the short, and correct, and true answer Rob. ;)

If you don't use them...sell them...especially if you don't want them.

I have to say I'm not remotely in the same boat. I've never been into conspicuous consumption (I'm not saying that you are), but I don't have 350-400 SD's. I find it incredulous when some members had in excess of 1,000 or 2,000...I just don't spend that kind of of time in front of the tube (screen, actually ;)). I have about, oh, I don't know, a little over 100 SD's...certainly less than 150. They are all in pristine condition, and I'd be willing to bet that I spent an average of $8-$9 per on them. If I were to sell them, what would I get? $1.00 a piece? Not worth it. And where would I get more than that? Almost all of the SD's I have are either classic movies, or very watchable favorites. Admittedly, having three times as many SD's as I do puts you in a slightly different position, and the law of diminishing returns holds true...but at what cost? What is your net loss were you to sell en masse @ $1.00 per?

I'm from the school where guys were modding their 5910's to the tune of $5k, even $6k. So when I hear some snotnosed pantywaist snivelling about dead format and the waste of $169 for an A35 (w/ 9 movies), it reeks of, well, spoiled brats. To see HD on a 120" glass bead screen @ 1080p/24Hz is what this hobby is all about. Admittedly, I have some movies that I haven't watched in a year, or two...or three or more. I guess I don't have that much money into SD's, the ones I have are desirable (to me), and unless there were some large return available...say $0.50 on the dollar, I see no incentive to sell off my SD collection just becaiuse it is inevitably to follow the plight of HD. That is classic conspicuous consumption. SD movies still play on an SD player (and always will), and can approach the quality of high def if mastered and transferred well, and upconverted via a quality chipset, and displayed at (and so on, and so on, and so on). And always will. ;)

My advice? Sell them at any price if you don't want them.

Last edited:
mpompey

mpompey

Senior Audioholic
I have to chime in with many of the posts on this thread. I still have some titles on Laser that have not been made available on DVD yet. The recent special collector's edition of Blade Runner finally put out a digital version of the original theatrical release.

Just box the rest and get HD versions of the ones you really like. I know I will double-dip the LOTR EE series, Star Wars, and a couple of titles here and there, but no way will I repurchase my current collection, 375 titles for the new format.

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
I don't know about that. Now I don't yet own a HD DVD player or even an upconverting player but I see SD movies on DVD or digital cable vs HD movies on cable and it is just not an awe inspiring difference to me.
I agree, the difference between DVD and HDTV is not awe inspiring, once one gets used to it all. A well mastered DVD looks good, though not quite as good, as HD. But I should mention that I am viewing things on a 42" HDTV, and the differences will be more noticeable on a very large screen.

People have remarked that HD is so remarkable that you find yourself watching stupid crap like the weather channel in HD just because the picture is so good. I say bunk. It's not an earth shattering difference in any way.

I think this usually only happens for the first few days of getting HD. Then, the novelty wears off, and then you are right.

If you're watching the picture as opposed to the content...maybe. That is exactly why the masses won't be migrating to HD DVD anytime soon.

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
... there are movies that don't need to be in high def DVD, such as old black and white classics, any decent upconverting player will do them justice...
This is simply not true. An old movie, shot with 35mm film, decently stored, is higher resolution than 1080p. You will miss out on picture detail with a DVD, and even with a Blu-Ray player, compared with seeing a good 35mm film print.

Star Trek is an example of this. I have seen HD broadcasts of this, and since it was filmed, it is true HD. Too bad they added new special effects which seem out of place. Anyway, it is clearer than any standard DVD can be.

That said, unless one has a very large screen, a well mastered DVD can look quite good upconverted. I have been quite pleased with the results, though I admit to only having a 42" HDTV, and the differences will be more noticeable if one has a larger screen. But the clarity difference is the same, whether the film is old or new.

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
I have to chime in with many of the posts on this thread. I still have some titles on Laser that have not been made available on DVD yet. The recent special collector's edition of Blade Runner finally put out a digital version of the original theatrical release.

Just box the rest and get HD versions of the ones you really like. I know I will double-dip the LOTR EE series, Star Wars, and a couple of titles here and there, but no way will I repurchase my current collection, 375 titles for the new format.
I am in the same situation, having some Laserdiscs that have not made it to DVD. And I expect that a couple of them will never be released on DVD, or whatever DVD's replacement will turn out to be. I also have some DVDs that will probably never be released on a new format. For example, the Image release of the films of Charles Chaplin, which are (with one exception) more like the original theatrical releases than the current ones available from Warner. The versions available now are the later reworkings that Chaplin did, with cropped images, and this is what the Chaplin Estate has authorized for the future. So, very likely, these original versions will not be rereleased until they all go into the public domain, when anyone who gets their hands on an original print can release it. Then, of course, there will be various bad versions put out by all sorts of people who care nothing for the films and only want to make a few bucks.

skads_187

skads_187

Audioholic
I am facing the very same dilemma and do not know what to do. The worst part is deciding which ones to let go, cause I do not want to re-buy my whole collection on BD either. I might have to make a list and decide. I mean, I will definitely keep all my "live shows" music dvd. But then where do you start cutting, some movies that I own are not out yet on BD. Do I wait until it gets released? What if I wanna watch that movie from now until then?
I think I might keep them, and re-buy a few of the really good ones on BD if they are on special, or off ebay.

F

FguerraG

Junior Audioholic
Um...they aren't YOUR movies when you rent them from Netflix. 'Backing them up' in that sense is copying them...in other words piracy. If you BUY the disc and then make a backup copy that is perfectly legitimate, but I'm not the RIAA or MPAA and people can do whatever they want just don't rationalize it because it is stealing plain and simple.
Ok , so don't back them up , sell them for pennies and buy them all over again full price mind you, just to find out that there is a new format 2 years from now.

obey , comply, consume.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis