$500 budget for a decent receiver

A

aus10

Audioholic Intern
I am looking to get a new receiver for my very small ht setup. The speakers will be EMPs the 55s in the front and there normal rears. I will not being running a center. Things I would like would be something like the option to add a amp to power the front speakers. Also I will be running duel subs sooner or later.

I would like to be able to connect my Ipad and Ipod to it. I was looking at denon and pioneer and martez (sp?) they have the 6004 for like 480 but i read horrible reviews on it. I like yamaha but there sooo expensive...

I could prolly extend my budget to about $600 if its really worth it..

Thank you guys a lot

J

jcl

Senior Audioholic
Your best bet is to buy last year's model's at a significant savings and/or you can buy refurb models. If you're willing to order internet direct there are some great deals now. If not you probably have missed out on the Marantz and Yamaha model year change at B & M stores like Best buy and Frys.

You can get Marantz new 5005 or refurb 6005. These will have 7.2 pre outs if you want to add an external amp and dual sub. These you can connect your ipod to through usb. There are available at accessories4less in your price range.
Marantz US | SR5005

Onkyo's Ht-rc370 has 7.2 preouts as well, and ipod connectivity through usb. May want to do a little more research on Onkyo; they have great features for the price but there have been some reliability issues reported on the boards. Previous years models were known for getting hot. Not sure if this has changed with the latest. This is available from newegg in your price range.
Onkyo HT-RC370 - 7.2-Channel Network A/V Receiver | Model Information | Onkyo USA Home Theater Products
You can probably find the 709 at the top of your range too.

Yamaha has the rx-a800 and rx-a700. Again, all the same connectivity as the others with 7.2 preouts. I think you need an external docking station for the ipod connectivity.
RX-A800 - AVENTAGE - Audio & Visual - Products - Yamaha United States
RX-A700 - AVENTAGE - Audio & Visual - Products - Yamaha United States

To get a Denon with pre outs you're looking at the 3312 for the current model year. These are about double your pricerange and given the others listed above I'm not at all sure it would be worth it.

The only Pioneer with preouts (unless you go Elite) is the vsx 1121
VSX-1121-K - 7.1-Channel 3-D Ready A/V Receiver | Pioneer Electronics USA

A

aus10

Audioholic Intern
This is the one I want but they have such a high failure rate that I'm worried about it and I read that marantz doesn't back there warranty at all.

Marantz SR6004 110w X 7ch Home Theater Surround Receiver | Accessories4less

I'm thinking of going with a elite pioneer unit but I'm not sure. I read that Onlyos kinda suck.

I'm between that marantz unit and a pioneer...

What do you guys think of that marantz? Iv read it has about a 47% failure rate which is high.

I kinda like that 1121 unit... How would it compare to one of the elite units?

Last edited:
GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
This is the one I want but they have such a high failure rate that I'm worried about it and I read that marantz doesn't back there warranty at all.

What do you guys think of that marantz? Iv read it has about a 47% failure rate which is high.
47% percent fail rate? Not sure where you're getting this number from but that's totally ridiculous. Hint - resellers don't like selling things with high fail rates.

As a general rule, remember that anything could have a bad batch, and the few people that get it are a lot more likely to vocally make an issue out of it, than the countless people who set it and forget it.

A

aus10

Audioholic Intern
47% percent fail rate? Not sure where you're getting this number from but that's totally ridiculous. Hint - resellers don't like selling things with high fail rates.

As a general rule, remember that anything could have a bad batch, and the few people that get it are a lot more likely to vocally make an issue out of it, than the countless people who set it.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1179621

Hint- I guess they do

Should I risk that unit or get the pioneer?

Last edited:
GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
I can't answer that question as it's your purchase. I will say that if you wanna get info on failure rates, it would be best to get this kind of info from actual dealers selling these things, not from a sampling of 100 people, most of whom probably only bothered to track down the thread ;;after;; their failure.

Buy what you feel comfortable with, I suppose. But get the facts straight first.

Last edited:
A

aus10

Audioholic Intern
I can't answer that question as it's your purchase. I will say that if you wanna get info on failure rates, it would be best to get this kind of info from actual dealers, not from a sampling of 100 people. If the things have a high failure rate then dealers certainly don't order more.
Ok I understand that. But IMO dealers are all about the money and the people that use the product mean more to me cuz they arnt about that money like dealers are. Yeah i also bet thats why over 50% of them had goodluck with the unit i guess they dont have a life and just felt like tracking down that thread anyways not trying to be rude just saying.

Is that pioneer a good unit? Compared to the marantz? My friend has a pioneer and he is really happy with it.

What do you guys think? I am prolly going to run optical out of my tv to the unit and just run it likke that for movies and gaming.

Last edited:
GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
But IMO dealers are all about the money and the people that use the product mean more to me cuz they arnt about that money like dealers are.
...and the dealers lose a TON of money if people's units have a 47% failure rate...

Is that pioneer a good unit? Compared to the marantz? My friend has a pioneer and he is really happy with it.
I can't say, but I would definitely want to point out that you're comparing an $800(VSX-1121K) receiver to a $1250 receiver (SR6004) so they're not really in the same price tier in terms of amp/preout sections. A closer comparision to the Marantz would be this NAD unit:

NAD T747 surround receiver

A

aus10

Audioholic Intern
...and the dealers lose a TON of money if people's units have a 47% failure rate...

I can't say, but I would definitely want to point out that you're comparing an $800(VSX-1121K) receiver to a $1250 receiver (SR6004) so they're not really in the same price tier in terms of amp/preout sections. A closer comparision to the Marantz would be this NAD unit:

NAD T747 surround receiver
So do you think I should just try that SR6004? Even though it has had a lot of reports of failures?

Also I'm not trying to be a prick I am just showing you what I read so you can understand ware im coming from and why I am worried about that unit..

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
Also I'm not trying to be a prick I am just showing you what I read so you can understand ware im coming from and why I am worried about that unit..
...It's a very valid concern. If that thread is enough to scare you away then I don't have any reason to recommend it to you. I know for myself what i'd choose but that just doesn't matter.

Personally I prefer to buy receivers that measure well in execution (not just spec sheet), and if the marantz isn't an option then I recommend strongly considering the NAD unit. I don't personally feel comfortable with the amp section in any unmeasured receiver with an MSRP under 1k - probably not even the Marantz SR6005 without an outbound amp to drive the fronts. That's just myself though.

I don't mean to sound like I'm dodging the subject but that's what it is. I'd personally buy the thing but if you don't want to, then you should buy whatever feel comfortable with. You'll likely have to raise your budget to get similar performance, though - there's no getting around those facts.

Lulimet

Lulimet

Full Audioholic
I bought a Marantz SR5005 for $350 at best buy 3 weeks ago. Check your local BB if they have any left. A hell of a deal for a nice receiver.

A

aus10

Audioholic Intern
I wonder if since it is a factory referb if that means that maybe it popped and they fixed it?

M

m_vanmeter

Full Audioholic
VSX-1121 at Newegg

sorry, not much time to make up your mind on this. This sale at Newegg for the Pioner VSX-1121 receiver began yesterday and will end today, Sunday Oct. 23rd.

$370 off with coupon code shown on the page below EMCYTZT851

Newegg.com - Pioneer VSX-1121-K 7.1-Channel A/V Receiver

that puts the final price at $430 with free shipping

A

aus10

Audioholic Intern
sorry, not much time to make up your mind on this. This sale at Newegg for the Pioner VSX-1121 receiver began yesterday and will end today, Sunday Oct. 23rd.

$370 off with coupon code shown on the page below EMCYTZT851

Newegg.com - Pioneer VSX-1121-K 7.1-Channel A/V Receiver

that puts the final price at $430 with free shipping
Oh awsome man thank you I am going to order i today. That will save me some money and in really worried about the martinez cuz iv read so much about it just flat out failing...

Do you think it will be a good unit?

Knucklehead90

Knucklehead90

Audioholic
That Pioneer is a pretty good unit. They have some trouble making their stated power - and more than most but power isn't everything.

A

aus10

Audioholic Intern
That Pioneer is a pretty good unit. They have some trouble making their stated power - and more than most but power isn't everything.
I am goign to get a amp to handle the front speakers and let the receivers amp handle the rears..

Would that be good? Im sure that for now I would be low on power unit i get the amp. I wont be running a center for awhile and i may never run one if i like the sound from a 4.1 setup... Iv never tryed it before.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Oh awsome man thank you I am going to order i today. That will save me some money and in really worried about the martinez cuz iv read so much about it just flat out failing...

Do you think it will be a good unit?
The Pioneer looks great to me.

With 120wpc, you probably won't even need a separate amp. But if you do because of larger room size, Emotiva is pretty much best bang for the buck for brand new.

A

aus10

Audioholic Intern
I wonder if I even need another amp...

What do you guys think?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis