32' (16 Hz) Organ Note

jliedeka

jliedeka

Audioholic General
Oscar Wilde had a great quote about Wagner: "Wagner's music is better than it sounds." :)

Jim

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
I have a couple of good organ CD's from Telarc. My favorite is from Michael Murray, "Bach at St. Bavo's"
http://www.telarc.com/gscripts/title.asp?gsku=0286&mscssid=WD4WF46T4K2K8PBJ88M90H3RKBSGD989
The Christian Muller Organ at St. Bavo's is beautiful and has 32's. :cool:

Or this one is a close second:
http://www.telarc.com/gscripts/title.asp?gsku=0316&mscssid=WD4WF46T4K2K8PBJ88M90H3RKBSGD989

Also, this one from Michael Murray is a nice "Best Of":
http://www.telarc.com/gscripts/title.asp?gsku=0277&mscssid=WD4WF46T4K2K8PBJ88M90H3RKBSGD989

Here's all of his CD's at Telarc:
http://www.telarc.com/biography/bios.asp?aid=72&mscssid=WD4WF46T4K2K8PBJ88M90H3RKBSGD989
I wonder what it cost to have one of these reproduced in my backyard cathedral?

majorloser

majorloser

St. Bavo's

One of the most beautiful organs ever made!

Last edited by a moderator:
Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
OK, now for a theoretical question...

Many subs are not capable of significant output at 16 Hz, but can produce sound as low as roughly 25 Hz. If the organ recording also has enough sound at the 1st harmonic overtone at 32 Hz, it will still sound and feel quite deep.

How can you tell if you are hearing the primary note or the 1st overtone, when both are so deep?

croseiv

croseiv

Audioholic Samurai

Many subs are not capable of significant output at 16 Hz, but can produce sound as low as roughly 25 Hz. If the organ recording also has enough sound at the 1st harmonic overtone at 32 Hz, it will still sound and feel quite deep.

How can you tell if you are hearing the primary note or the 1st overtone, when both are so deep?
Well, in the case of a 16 Hz note, you will feel it more than hear it. If you think you are only "hearing" it then it's probably not a true 16 Hz note and you'd be hearing the 32 Hz harmonic. There will be considerbaly less impact. You can tell if it's the 16 Hz note, take my word for it.

Chopin_Guy

Chopin_Guy

Senior Audioholic
Funny this should come up as I have been at church all day today practicing on things for Christmas masses starting later this afternoon. 32' Pedal stops are really something astonishing when you can hear them in a good space, but are still more of a pressure wall than distinct pitches---your ear is going to be naturally drawn to the overtone more than the fundemental. Being a pianist by formal training my organ skills still have a long way to come, but it is a ton of fun to pull that 32' stop towards the end of a big Gloria and just feel the concusion in your chest along with everything shaking for a few seonds after you let go of the manual....Which what I plan on doing to everyone this eveing... :eek: :D

Last edited:
ChrisJam

ChrisJam

Full Audioholic
Well, in the case of a 16 Hz note, you will feel it more than hear it. If you think you are only "hearing" it then it's probably not a true 16 Hz note and you'd be hearing the 32 Hz harmonic. There will be considerbaly less impact. You can tell if it's the 16 Hz note, take my word for it.
Good answer, croseiv. I wrote a piece for pipe organ as part of my music degree.

Chris

ChrisJam

ChrisJam

Full Audioholic

croseiv gave you a great answer. I'll just add, though, that while a 32 Hz note is low, it might not be as low as you think. Any piano with 88 keys (that's almost all pianos) goes lower. Various tunings aside, the lowest key of a piano sounds at 27.5 Hz. That's an "A" four octaves below the famous A-440.

Chris

Last edited:
ChrisJam

ChrisJam

Full Audioholic
but it is a ton of fun to pull that 32' stop towards the end of a big Gloria and just feel the concusion in your chest along with everything shaking for a few seonds after you let go of the manual....Which what I plan on doing to everyone this eveing... :eek: :D
I like how you think! :D

Chris

L

lbkwhitney

Audiophyte
Hello,

I am having trouble identifying the Motet recording featuring the Klais organs at the Cologne Cathedral. Would this be the right one?

Product Description

FIRST CD OF REBUILT NAVE ORGAN: Winfried Bönig demonstrates with an eclectic program the two Klais organs (1998 swallow’s nest 3-72 organ and the 2001 rebuild of the 1951-56 Klais electropneumatic nave organ) in the reverberant acoustics of the 750-year-old Cologne Cathedral.

GIGOUT: Grand Choeur Dialogue

KARG-ELERT: Homage to Handel

DUPRÉ: Versets on the Magnificat op. 18

SCHMIDT: Prelude & Fugue in D Hallelujah

LISZT: Evocation of the Sistine Chapel

SAINT-SAËNS: Danse macabre

LEMARE: Rhapsody

PROKOFIEF: Toccata

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Hello,

I am having trouble identifying the Motet recording featuring the Klais organs at the Cologne Cathedral. Would this be the right one?

Product Description

FIRST CD OF REBUILT NAVE ORGAN: Winfried Bönig demonstrates with an eclectic program the two Klais organs (1998 swallow’s nest 3-72 organ and the 2001 rebuild of the 1951-56 Klais electropneumatic nave organ) in the reverberant acoustics of the 750-year-old Cologne Cathedral.

GIGOUT: Grand Choeur Dialogue

KARG-ELERT: Homage to Handel

DUPRÉ: Versets on the Magnificat op. 18

SCHMIDT: Prelude & Fugue in D Hallelujah

LISZT: Evocation of the Sistine Chapel

SAINT-SAËNS: Danse macabre

LEMARE: Rhapsody

PROKOFIEF: Toccata
No this is the one.

J

Jim Shipley

Audiophyte
Hi,
I'd like to put my sub through its paces with some organ music that contains the 16Hz(approx) low C pedal note of a pipe organ. The only recording that I oown that has this note is the Saint Saens Symphony #3 (The Organ Symphony). Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Jon
WE have an organ here in Charlotte NC. with 11499 pipes with 7 32 foot stops and one 64 foot one. I have the "power and the glory" cd that really shows them off. You can almost count the waves as they pass by from my Altec voice of the theater speakers, which I have tested down to 4 cps. You can buy the cd (recommended) or down load it at danmillermusic.com. Dan Miller is the organist. This is not church music but recorded to show off the organ.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis