32' (16 Hz) Organ Note

K

KralNoj

Audiophyte
Hi,
I'd like to put my sub through its paces with some organ music that contains the 16Hz(approx) low C pedal note of a pipe organ. The only recording that I oown that has this note is the Saint Saens Symphony #3 (The Organ Symphony). Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Jon

loserwife

loserwife

Audioholic
Hi,
I'd like to put my sub through its paces with some organ music that contains the 16Hz(approx) low C pedal note of a pipe organ. The only recording that I oown that has this note is the Saint Saens Symphony #3 (The Organ Symphony). Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Jon
The Great Organ at Methuen - Bach: BWV 540, 542, 582, 643, & 737:

Passacaglia and Fugue, for organ in C minor, BWV 582 (BC J79)
Composed by Johann Sebastian Bach
with Michael Murray

I hope your sub can handle it! :D

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Hi,
Thanks,
Jon
By far the biggest organ workout for not only your sub, but your complete system is a recoding of the Klais organs of Cologne Cathedral. Motet 13254 This is available from the Organ Historical Society.

This is one of the best engineered discs I know of. It is a beautifully put together program also.

Another one you might want to sample is Graham Barber playing the Compton Organ of Downside Abbey Stratton-on-the-Fosse Somerset. Volume 3 of the complete works of Percy Whitlock: - Priory PRCD 542 This huge instrument like all Comptons is totally enclosed. This is the only Compton Organ left that has not had a hack job done on it.

Hearing this Organ when Father Cyprian would play his variations on the Sir Edward Elgar's Angel's Farewell, culminating in Praise to the Holiest from his Dream of Gerontious was the first time I remember being aware of resonance in my internal organs!

Gillian Weirs recital on the newly restored Grand Organ of the Royal Albert Hall, Priory PRCD 859 is also a good program.

A couple of Richard Peter Conte's albums at the Wanamaker Grand Court Organ at the Lord and Taylor Store in Philadelphia, are a must. This is the World's largest mechanical instrument, and is to double in size! Midnight at The Grand Court; - Gothic G 49274 and Magic! Dorian, now handled by Gothic xCD 90308. This number may have changed since the Gothic change over.

Organo Deco is a fun album. David Britton at the Kimball Organ St. John's Cathedral Denver. Delios 13491 31112

There are numerous good organ albums available. Many more than you could hear in a lifetime. No one wrote for the organ like J.S. Bach and he is unsurpassed. I particularly recommend albums by Peter Hurford on Decca and DGG, as a start. Bach is best played on mechanical Tracker organs, either new or old, but especially 18th century instruments in Germany and the Netherlands. You won't find the 32 ft stops on those instruments. However plenty of bass foundation from the 16 ft stops.

Only the largest instruments have 32 ft stops, and most organ scores seldom call for them. They are especially called out for underpinning in the great 19th and early 20th century oratorios of Elgar and Mendelssohn. Also in the big organ works by British, French and German composers. Father Willis and builders like Harrison and Harrison in England were building instruments of huge scale with electro-pneumatic action, introduced in England in the 1830s. Cavaille-Coll did the same in France.

To learn and hear more of the King of Instruments, I strongly encourage you to explore Pipe Dreams, hosted by Michael Barone, MPR host and also a very competent organist in his own right around the Twin Cities. Find him on your local Public Radio station, or on line.

croseiv

croseiv

Audioholic Samurai
Hi,
Thanks,
Jon

What kind of subwoofer do you have?

croseiv

croseiv

Audioholic Samurai
By far the biggest organ workout for not only your sub, but your complete system is a recoding of the Klais organs of Cologne Cathedral. Motet 13254 This is available from the Organ Historical Society.

This is one of the best engineered discs I know of. It is a beautifully put together program also.

Another one you might want to sample is Graham Barber playing the Compton Organ of Downside Abbey Stratton-on-the-Fosse Somerset. Volume 3 of the complete works of Percy Whitlock: - Priory PRCD 542 This huge instrument like all Comptons is totally enclosed. This is the only Compton Organ left that has not had a hack job done on it.

Hearing this Organ when Father Cyprian would play his variations on the Sir Edward Elgar's Angel's Farewell, culminating in Praise to the Holiest from his Dream of Gerontious was the first time I remember being aware of resonance in my internal organs!

Gillian Weirs recital on the newly restored Grand Organ of the Royal Albert Hall, Priory PRCD 859 is also a good program.

A couple of Richard Peter Conte's albums at the Wanamaker Grand Court Organ at the Lord and Taylor Store in Philadelphia, are a must. This is the World's largest mechanical instrument, and is to double in size! Midnight at The Grand Court; - Gothic G 49274 and Magic! Dorian, now handled by Gothic xCD 90308. This number may have changed since the Gothic change over.

Organo Deco is a fun album. David Britton at the Kimball Organ St. John's Cathedral Denver. Delios 13491 31112

There are numerous good organ albums available. Many more than you could hear in a lifetime. No one wrote for the organ like J.S. Bach and he is unsurpassed. I particularly recommend albums by Peter Hurford on Decca and DGG, as a start. Bach is best played on mechanical Tracker organs, either new or old, but especially 18th century instruments in Germany and the Netherlands. You won't find the 32 ft stops on those instruments. However plenty of bass foundation from the 16 ft stops.

Only the largest instruments have 32 ft stops, and most organ scores seldom call for them. They are especially called out for underpinning in the great 19th and early 20th century oratorios of Elgar and Mendelssohn. Also in the big organ works by British, French and German composers. Father Willis and builders like Harrison and Harrison in England were building instruments of huge scale with electro-pneumatic action, introduced in England in the 1830s. Cavaille-Coll did the same in France.

To learn and hear more of the King of Instruments, I strongly encourage you to explore Pipe Dreams, hosted by Michael Barone, MPR host and also a very competent organist in his own right around the Twin Cities. Find him on your local Public Radio station, or on line.
Very nicely done! I have searched the internet before and came across this recording, but was unsure of its quality. I was looking for some good low frequency stuff too. Your recommendation has certainly piqued my interest.

majorloser

majorloser

I have a couple of good organ CD's from Telarc. My favorite is from Michael Murray, "Bach at St. Bavo's"
http://www.telarc.com/gscripts/title.asp?gsku=0286&mscssid=WD4WF46T4K2K8PBJ88M90H3RKBSGD989
The Christian Muller Organ at St. Bavo's is beautiful and has 32's. :cool:

Or this one is a close second:
http://www.telarc.com/gscripts/title.asp?gsku=0316&mscssid=WD4WF46T4K2K8PBJ88M90H3RKBSGD989

Also, this one from Michael Murray is a nice "Best Of":
http://www.telarc.com/gscripts/title.asp?gsku=0277&mscssid=WD4WF46T4K2K8PBJ88M90H3RKBSGD989

Here's all of his CD's at Telarc:
http://www.telarc.com/biography/bios.asp?aid=72&mscssid=WD4WF46T4K2K8PBJ88M90H3RKBSGD989

Last edited:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
What kind of subwoofer do you have?
Let me second this question, as that is exactly what I was thinking when I first read the question. Frequencies in this range will really show you what your sub is capable of (and what it is NOT capable of...) very quickly.

jliedeka

jliedeka

Audioholic General
I understand wanting to test the limits of your sub. But that 32' pipe makes me nauseous. :eek:

Personally I prefer to test the room shaking capabilities with Serenity. :D

Jim

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

They're a b!tch to get lit.

Yes, and you can hear them too in the Solti Ring cycle. The producer, the late John Culshaw, actually found some Swiss steerhorn players who could play the parts where Wagner called for them in the score. For practical reasons trombones are usually substituted. You can see pictures of them in John Culshaw's book; - Ring Resounding. You can also see real anvils in the percussion section, and a copy of Richard Wagner's actual thunder machine he invented for the ring.

majorloser

majorloser

Now isn't that better than sitting through four long nights of opera? :D

Last edited by a moderator:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Now isn't that better than sitting through four long nights of opera? :D
NO! One of the "miracles" of Wagner's scores is that they make time suspend. A form of hypnotism I suppose.

Last edited by a moderator:
majorloser

majorloser

NO! One of the "miracles" of Wagner's scores is that they make time suspend. A form of hypnotism I suppose.
I'd be willing to bet that jliedeka's 6 foot bong can do a better job of making time appear suspended than 15+ hours of Germanic opera. :rolleyes:

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis