$300 Bookshelf Speakers

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I have had a pari of Aperion 4B's in my workstation system for over a year now and I love em. They are hard to beat at that price point when paired with a sub. I really think the only reason people don't recommend them more often is that nobody has heard them. Warpdrv has been over several times and he said he was amazed at how good they sound for such a small speaker. Couldn't hurt to audition them with Aperion's return policy. Also the monoprice lcd mounts work great for mounting them to your desk.
I can't help but ask the burning question. What's in the bowl?

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
It looks like corn and rice and maybe there is a protein like a chicken breast hiding on the plate?

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
njedpx3

njedpx3

Audioholic General
I was very disappointed in S30. After all the hype and recommendations, they sounded flat and boring...lifeless. I would feel I've accomplished something if I could stop people from mentioning them.

In this range of size and price, I can recommend the Epos ELS-3.
Well I have a pair setup at my cabin and they don't sound flat and boring. They seem fairly full of life :) I would be glad to help you set a pair of S30s so they sound good. If I do that, can I continue to mention them ?

Hey I looked up your Epos ELS-3 , has very good reviews but retails $400-500pair US $.

Take Care.

Forest Man

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
Well I have a pair setup at my cabin and they don't sound flat and boring. They seem fairly full of life :) I would be glad to help you set a pair of S30s so they sound good. If I do that, can I continue to mention them ?

Hey I looked up your Epos ELS-3 , has very good reviews but retails $400-500pair US $.

Take Care.

Forest Man
Speaker preference is highly subjective. I was set up with high expectations by comments such as these. I wanted to find a great speaker at a bargain price. I was disappointed. YMMV.

I'm certain there are significant discounts on the ELS-3. At least there were a short while ago. Federal monetary policy may have effected that.

dkane360

dkane360

Audioholic Field Marshall
I'm leaning towards the Aperion's right now, but I'm a little worried the 4B's won't be enough speaker. The 5B's are a big price jump, but I feel they'll be a better investment in the long run.

Then the other thing is I don't know which finish to get. The black looks really sleek and would look nice on my black desk, but the cherry finish also looks really nice, and gives off a warm vibe.

Last edited:
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
The Aperion 4Bs will be a big loss in bass extension with respect to the Behringers, you are going from 55 hertz to 120. Even the 5Bs would be a noticeable decrease. The 6Bs will be more of a match for the 2031ps, at least with respect to bass, although I understand those are out of your budget. I would not go from 2031ps to Aperion 4Bs, I think they might sound pretty hollow in comparison. It'll certainly give your subwoofer more to do.

dkane360

dkane360

Audioholic Field Marshall
The Aperion 4Bs will be a big loss in bass extension with respect to the Behringers, you are going from 55 hertz to 120. Even the 5Bs would be a noticeable decrease. The 6Bs will be more of a match for the 2031ps, at least with respect to bass, although I understand those are out of your budget. I would not go from 2031ps to Aperion 4Bs, I think they might sound pretty hollow in comparison. It'll certainly give your subwoofer more to do.
Yea, I'm beginning to think that I should just hold out until I'm ready to start working on a full system upgrade later down the road.

B

Boerd

Full Audioholic
So I'm looking for a new set of speakers for my desk. The B2031p's are good, I'm just ready for a change. They're a little too big and pretty ugly. I can stretch my budget a little if necessary.

Here are my prospective purchases, some of which would be purchased used:

In no order:

1. B&W DM601 S3 - $350ish
2. Paradigm Mini Monitor V.5 or V.6 $300
3. Klipsch RB-51 or RB-61 $300-350
4. Paradigm Millenia One 2.0 (just released, no idea on msrp but they look nice)
5. EMP E5Bi - $250
6. KEF Audio iQ3 - $300
7. Mirage Omnisat V2 $250
8. NHT Absolute Zero $350
9. Aperion Intimus 4B $260
10. B&W M-1

Tomorrow I'm going to go over to a place that sells used equipment, and I'll see what they have as well.

Any recommendations on adding to the list or removing from the list? Any prior experience with any of the speakers? Suggestions? Is it even worth it to upgrade from my Behringers? And if you wanna try and sell me speakers you're trying to get rid of, thats cool too :D
NHT Absolute Zero is measured here:
http://www.hometheater.com/compactspeakers/nht_absolute_zero_speaker_system/index3.html

The measurements are simply unbelievable in this price range. Very very good - +0.94/–0.82 decibels from 200 hertz to 10 kilohertz

droht

droht

Full Audioholic
I tried quite a few "desktop monitors". Usher S520s would me my choice. $300 used should be possible. Pretty small, great looks, front port for easier placement, and great sound (imo).

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis