$300 Bookshelf Speakers

dkane360

dkane360

Audioholic Field Marshall
So I'm looking for a new set of speakers for my desk. The B2031p's are good, I'm just ready for a change. They're a little too big and pretty ugly. I can stretch my budget a little if necessary.

Here are my prospective purchases, some of which would be purchased used:

In no order:

1. B&W DM601 S3 - $350ish
2. Paradigm Mini Monitor V.5 or V.6 $300
3. Klipsch RB-51 or RB-61 $300-350
4. Paradigm Millenia One 2.0 (just released, no idea on msrp but they look nice)
5. EMP E5Bi - $250
6. KEF Audio iQ3 - $300
7. Mirage Omnisat V2 $250
8. NHT Absolute Zero $350
9. Aperion Intimus 4B $260
10. B&W M-1

Tomorrow I'm going to go over to a place that sells used equipment, and I'll see what they have as well.

Any recommendations on adding to the list or removing from the list? Any prior experience with any of the speakers? Suggestions? Is it even worth it to upgrade from my Behringers? And if you wanna try and sell me speakers you're trying to get rid of, thats cool too :D

Last edited:
zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Not a fan of the Mini Monitor and you may have a problem with the
Omnisat on your desk. I would put the NHT Absolute Zero on your
list.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
You might give the Ascend Acoustics CBM170 a look. Also check out the Hsu HB-1, great speaker for the money. The Infinity Primus p162 is a solid speaker that would come in below your budget.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I really have my doubts that you will see an improvement in SQ. Certainly, I would expect the 2031P's bass to be better than those smaller speakers. I haven't listened to any of the other speakers on your list except the Mini Monitor and that was a good while before I got the 2031P's.
All I can say is that the 2031P sounds better than the Infinity P362 to my ear.

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
Although they're pulling surround duty for me right now, and would IMO be best off crossed with stereo subs around 160hz, I do really like the e5Bis. They share the same character of the e55tis... pristine in the midrange, clean highs, big sweet spot, nice imaging. My receiver crosses them at 80hz, so I guess they can be crossed low but of course there's definite advantages of a higher crossover. I think I've just become a fan of 2nd order tweeter/mid crossovers. While I think they'd make a nice desk speaker, small they are not. Very nice to look at with the tall, thin curved box and shiny finish, but still pretty tall. I'd say a bit over a foot tall.

Last edited:
dkane360

dkane360

If I get new speakers, I'll be giving my behringers to my bro, so it's not completely for nothing.

A

alphaiii

Audioholic General
Another worth looking into is the Energy RC-10 (if not too big)... $300 at Vann's.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I really have my doubts that you will see an improvement in SQ. Certainly, I would expect the 2031P's bass to be better than those smaller speakers. I haven't listened to any of the other speakers on your list except the Mini Monitor and that was a good while before I got the 2031P's.
All I can say is that the 2031P sounds better than the Infinity P362 to my ear.
I've compared the 2031p to the Primus speakers, mostly the p162. To be honest, there wasn't a big difference in sound that I could detect, except the 2031p had deeper bass extension than the p162. They are both pretty neutral to my ears, both sound very good. Maybe I wasn't using the right listening material to expose their differences.

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
I have had a pari of Aperion 4B's in my workstation system for over a year now and I love em. They are hard to beat at that price point when paired with a sub. I really think the only reason people don't recommend them more often is that nobody has heard them. Warpdrv has been over several times and he said he was amazed at how good they sound for such a small speaker. Couldn't hurt to audition them with Aperion's return policy. Also the monoprice lcd mounts work great for mounting them to your desk.

dkane360

dkane360

I have had a pari of Aperion 4B's in my workstation system for over a year now and I love em. They are hard to beat at that price point when paired with a sub. I really think the only reason people don't recommend them more often is that nobody has heard them. Warpdrv has been over several times and he said he was amazed at how good they sound for such a small speaker. Couldn't hurt to audition them with Aperion's return policy. Also the monoprice lcd mounts work great for mounting them to your desk.
I'm guessing you have your sub crossed over pretty high, like 120hz? I do like the look of them, and I like the return policy. I'm just a little concerned about how high I'll have to cross my sub.

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
I'm guessing you have your sub crossed over pretty high, like 120hz? I do like the look of them, and I like the return policy. I'm just a little concerned about how high I'll have to cross my sub.
I think its crossed at 110 last I checked. I don't get any localizable bass response as the sub is in such close proximity to the speakers. I think you are going to have to cross over pretty high no matter what you chose if you go with smaller speakers.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
If you're not going to run a sub then I'd stay with the 2031Ps. If you are running a sub then I'd stretch the budget for EMP E41s and cross them over at 100hz. That's what I run. The speakers from this review.

I'd also consider Ascend's CBM-170SE. I own the larger 340s and they are quite good. In b-stock (or even new) they fit the budget.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I've compared the 2031p to the Primus speakers, mostly the p162. To be honest, there wasn't a big difference in sound that I could detect, except the 2031p had deeper bass extension than the p162. They are both pretty neutral to my ears, both sound very good. Maybe I wasn't using the right listening material to expose their differences.
That seems about right. My real complaint with the P362 was that cabinet resonance seemed to muddy the upper bass (which I think the 162 cabinet would do eliminate) and the 2031P captured sawtooth type waveforms better (like present on saxophone low range or trombone).

Cheers,
Kurt

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
If you're not going to run a sub then I'd stay with the 2031Ps. If you are running a sub then I'd stretch the budget for EMP E41s and cross them over at 100hz.
That was my thought as well. But if the 2031 is too big/ugly that is certainly a factor. It is not like the other candidates are crap!

washburn

washburn

Audioholic
I'd try to find a used pair of Onix Reference-1 book shelf speakers...I ffound mine on this site from slightly above $300 shipped, IIRC.
They're brilliant speakers at that price (original price 1,200 US$ I think), and can be found with a bit of searching.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
I like the 170SE that shadyj mentioned, and it seems Minus has put up the black friday sale about them, I think it was $50 off for $300. However, I think some people consider your current speakers to be superior. Dunno. The Ascends are not pretty, and they sort of look boxish too. With the mounts you can buy from them, they are easy to put up if you ever need to.

T

TommyTom83

Junior Audioholic
Have you considered the B&W 685 or 686? Since you have no issue going used, I got a pair of 686's in mint condition off of Audiogon for 350 shipped about a year ago.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis