~$1k stereo recommendations

avliner

avliner

Audioholic Chief
...I have 4 LSi9's, 2 LSi7's, and a LSiC sitting around doing nothing...
What a waste Mazer,:eek:

to my ears, the best sounding top notch bookshelves I could ever hear were the LSi9 and the Ascend 340's, but I felt the Polks a bit more refined though.
My listening experience - compared to yours - is way too short:(:(

S

silversurfer

Senior Audioholic
Why is it not flattering?

There is some very good and some ok stuff in there...god forbit there are negatives in a $2k speaker!!??
It didn't get a "reviewer's choice", it is competitive with speakers in the price range (read, no value add).

Again, the distortion measurements are very bad in my opinion, and I think others would agree.

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Soundstage review

It didn't get a "reviewer's choice", it is competitive with speakers in the price range (read, no value add).

Again, the distortion measurements are very bad in my opinion, and I think others would agree.
Good review by Soundstage.
I find it interesting that the Soundstage reviewer doesn't even own a radioshack SPL meter!:eek: Due to the flexibility of the powered woofers and the connection options, speaker position and sub settings can have a greater effect on the performance of the Minis. Also, I am not aware of a lot of 4-way full range speakers in the $2k/pair price range. I will hold off judgement on the Minis until I hear them myself as audio in general and speakers in perticular are subjective.

Concerning the distorion graph, it does not have a scale (plotted on the SPL chart) or a percentage of THD+N so I don't know how to determine whether it is good or bad.

S

silversurfer

Senior Audioholic
Because it is almost a 4-way at $2K(plus shipping) does not mean it gains points.

Concerning the distorion graph, it does not have a scale (plotted on the SPL chart) or a percentage of THD+N so I don't know how to determine whether it is good or bad.
They have an explaination here:
http://www.soundstagenetwork.com/measurements/test_loudspeakers.htm.

In the treble region, it looks to be between 3 and 10%. That is a lot IMO for treble.

Also, compare to other speakers that have been measured.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
What a waste Mazer,:eek:
Really not a waste. I can either look at my wife, and listen to her biatch at me. Ot look at the speakers and hear nothing.

I'll take looking at the speakers. :eek::D

S

silversurfer

Senior Audioholic
Really not a waste. I can either look at my wife, and listen to her biatch at me. Ot look at the speakers and hear nothing.

If all else is good, I think that is a good choice. :)

C

chicomoralessxm

Audioholic
Just wondering if any of you guys can reccomend a good stereo receiver, i'm using a hk3380 but will be upgrading my speakers still deciding between the era d5 nht 3's and the lsi9's? Was looking at the outlaw rr2150?

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Just wondering if any of you guys can reccomend a good stereo receiver, i'm using a hk3380 but will be upgrading my speakers still deciding between the era d5 nht 3's and the lsi9's? Was looking at the outlaw rr2150?
You should start your own thread in the receiver, and amps section. :D

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
1K on your front speakers is your budget?

Room size: 12'L x 16'W x 10'H

Use: 50% music, 25% gaming, 25% home theatre
Budget: somewhere around $1k (loose) before tax/shipping
Priority: absolutely crystal clear details across the entire range, with an emphasis on the vocal midrange and tight bass.

Priority: no used, I need warranties :)

I've been looking at Axiom with lust for a long time based on nothing more than a friend's recommendation and reading the fans in sites like this. However I do find their aesthetics rather average (not that important I know).

I was looking at the M60s but then got to thinking.. M22's + a HSU VTF2-MK3 is about the same price and would have better frequency response...

Opinions? I hear that smaller cabinets generally tend to better sound definition & clarity but have no bass, which can be covered by a sub...

also, other brand recommendations welcome.

What are you going to use to drive them and how much are you willing to spend on the receiver.

If your going ot get a receiver that can drive 4 ohms easily, I would suggest the Totem Forests. Although an 8ohm speaker, its sensitivity is abit on the low side and it will require a beef amp to make them sing. Home Theater Magazie reviewed a pair and said for music listening, a sub would not add that much more to the bottom end of what these speakers are capable off.

http://www.totemacoustic.com/english/products/floorStanding_forest.htm

If you want an easier load to drive, then I would recommend the PSB Image T55 or even T65 if possible. I own the the T45 which great for music, smooth life like vocals, soft airy and detailed highs and agood tight fast bass response. I couldn't afford the bigger T55 or T65, it was outside my budget. But I did audition them as well and the only difference was that the T55 and T65 had more heft in the bass. Other than that, they sounded quite the same to me.

http://www.psbspeakers.com/series/3

Let us know waht you decide.

grubyhalo

grubyhalo

Audiophyte

Hey there mazer! I'm just curious what's your listening impressions of the LSi9's vis-a-vis the MTM's and the Mini's are? I know these would be apples, oranges and berries but still would like to see what differences you perceive. I do not have access to any of av123 products/auditions where I'm at but I know a dealer who stocks the polks, so I guess in a twisted way, I'm trying to figure out how the MTM's and Mini's sound:D

L

Lex

Enthusiast
Heh, update:

My prorities changed somewhat, and I decided to assemble a liquor collection, and now am heading out to pick up a bar I got off craigslist :)

First you get the liquor.
Then you get the music.
Then you get the women :)

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Hey there mazer! I'm just curious what's your listening impressions of the LSi9's vis-a-vis the MTM's and the Mini's are? I know these would be apples, oranges and berries but still would like to see what differences you perceive. I do not have access to any of av123 products/auditions where I'm at but I know a dealer who stocks the polks, so I guess in a twisted way, I'm trying to figure out how the MTM's and Mini's sound:D
Mini's as in Strata Mini's?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis