~$1k stereo recommendations

L

Lex

Enthusiast
Room size: 12'L x 16'W x 10'H

Use: 50% music, 25% gaming, 25% home theatre
Budget: somewhere around $1k (loose) before tax/shipping
Priority: absolutely crystal clear details across the entire range, with an emphasis on the vocal midrange and tight bass.

Priority: no used, I need warranties :)

I've been looking at Axiom with lust for a long time based on nothing more than a friend's recommendation and reading the fans in sites like this. However I do find their aesthetics rather average (not that important I know).

I was looking at the M60s but then got to thinking.. M22's + a HSU VTF2-MK3 is about the same price and would have better frequency response...

Opinions? I hear that smaller cabinets generally tend to better sound definition & clarity but have no bass, which can be covered by a sub...

also, other brand recommendations welcome.

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
In general, it is more cost effective to get small bookshelf speakers and a subwoofer, than it is to get full range speakers. This is particularly true in the case of surround systems with 5 or more speakers. Just make sure your main speakers go low enough to keep the sound from being localized at the subwoofer; the THX standard is 80 hz, and I would advise getting bookshelf speakers that go at least that low.

Your budget is rather low for me to advise you, particularly if you want to buy more than just speakers with that $1000. Do you expect to get just speakers for that price, or will it include a receiver and other components?

If you are just wanting 2 channel speakers for about that price, I would recommend considering Magnepan MMG:

http://www.magnepan.com/model_MMG

And SVS PB10-NSD:

http://www.svsound.com/products-sub-box-10nsd.cfm

PROVIDED that both:

1) Your amplifier can deal with 4 ohm speakers; and
2) Your preamplifier has a line level subwoofer output.

Another speaker to consider is the Aurum Cantus Leisure 2SE:

http://www.kellsieavdesign.com/products/Leisure2SE.htm

This version of the speaker retails for $1499, but it has sometimes been sold on ebay by Kellsie for under $1000 (though I do not think they currently have any auctions for them; contact them if you wish to buy a pair). These are excellent speakers, and are an easy load for pretty much any amplifier.

I should warn you, if you buy Aurum Cantus Leisure 2SE speakers, there are at least 4 versions that have been made, and I have seen an auction on ebay in which the seller misrepresented which version he or she had for sale. In order of supposed quality are:

Leisure 2SE Signature (current U.S. version)
Leisure 2SE (original U.S. version)
Leisure 2SE (international version)
Leisure 2SE (Chinese version)

The Chinese version uses a regularly shaped cabinet, without sloping sides and front. And you can tell the international ("generic") version from the U.S. versions by:

http://www.kellsieavdesign.com/products/US_vs_CH.htm

I personally have owned both the international version and the original U.S. version. The frequency response of the U.S. versions is flatter and goes deeper by 5 hz than the international version. Also, the U.S. versions are slightly more efficient than the international version. All are good, from what I have been told (and from my experience), but I can say definitely that the original U.S. version is superior to the international version, both in looks and performance.

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Bookshelf speakers

I have good heard good things about the new Ascend Sierra's for music w/out a sub. You can add something like the AV123 X-sub ($200) to fill in the low end for movies and gamming.

AH is working on a bookeshelf shoutout that will include the new Ascends, RBH, and a few others.

I am happy with my Onix Ref 1's and SVS sub for 2 channel music and the occasional movie. They have a B-stock pair in Rosewood for $800.
http://www.av123.com/products_product.php?section=stock&product=16.1

L

Lex

Enthusiast
To clarify:

~$1k is the budget for speakers alone. It's unlikely I'm going to go surround-sound anytime soon.
~I haven't bought the receiver yet. And I'm thinking of being cheap on it - I really don't need ANY features since I'll be feeding the thing two-channel sound from a PC mostly.

L

Lex

Enthusiast
Yeah about those Mackies..

Might they be showing up in the bookshelf roundup coming?

Also, from what I understand they're actively powered so if my only audio source was a stereo line out from a PC (htpc) I could skip buying the receiver for now?

L

Lex

Enthusiast
I'm going to amend my request a tiny bit:

What if I said I wanted to balance fidelity with higher volume levels a bit, and could swing 1000 for just the speakers alone (+500 for the sub) ?

L

Lex

Enthusiast
I have to set the line somewhere, and those minis are far, far over it.

For the sub it seems I've set on the HSU VTF2-Mk3...it's got plenty of power for larger rooms (and house parties) and has the lowest extension I've ever heard of at that price. I'm fairly certain that, barring unforseen drunken destruction, I'll be going through a midlife crisis before I'm tempted to upgrade such a beast of a sub.

So my 17Hz - 60Hz range is covered, now I just need something to fill the upper range... clean clear musical clarity (home theatre / music / pc sound) is the primary application but it needs to be good enough to rock a party...

I guess bookshelf mini-monitors are out? What's left...mid-range towers?

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
To clarify:

~$1k is the budget for speakers alone. It's unlikely I'm going to go surround-sound anytime soon.
~I haven't bought the receiver yet. And I'm thinking of being cheap on it - I really don't need ANY features since I'll be feeding the thing two-channel sound from a PC mostly.
You can get really nice stereo receivers from Yamaha, Onkyo, etc rather inexpensively that are about 100 wpc. Here's a nice Onkyo for $229. http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/item/details/540299007

I guess bookshelf mini-monitors are out? What's left...mid-range towers?
Not necessarily. Once you have the VTF-2, a whole range of options opens up to you. One of the options available is the Era Design 5, like I have. For clarity, fidelity, strong bass that blends nicely with the sub and just for overall music listening pleasure, I could not be happier with my choice. My room is only a little smaller than yours, but these speakers will rock this room when asked (and I ask it a lot). I've run them with the Hsu STF-3 and they blend perfectly. From other members here that have heard the Era, I've only read positive reviews, so it's not just me.

For stereo music enjoyment, the combination of a receiver like that Onkyo, the Era D5 and the Hsu VTF-2 Mk3 will be a very sweet, musical system. Total price for everything, maybe $1,600.

T

TinleyJake

Enthusiast
See if you can audition the Monitor Audio RS-6. I just received a pair last night that I saw posted on Auidgon and I'm blown away with the sound of them. Very natural and detailed with a decent amount of controlled bass.

I turned my subwoofer off last night and listened to some older recordings that I haven't listened to in years and although cliche, it was like hearing them for the first time again.

B

billnchristy

Senior Audioholic
Why is it not flattering?

There is some very good and some ok stuff in there...god forbit there are negatives in a $2k speaker!!??

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Are those Polk LSi9's behind the mini's?
Yes they are. :D

I have 4 LSi9's, 2 LSi7's, and a LSiC sitting around doing nothing. One day I'll get around to putting this system together. ;)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis