$1400.00 for LCR 80% HT/TV 20% home music

J

Jimz711

Full Audioholic
I was reading at the Source Loudspeaker Technologies website that for some of their towers they recommend sitting no more than 10 feet from the speakers. Surprised me a bit, I probably should go back and read more as to their reasoning but it was late at night when I saw it and until now I had forgotten that I read it.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I would take the infinity p363 over the the pioneer fs-52.
Well, I would also if someone offered them to me for free. :D

I mean if the Infinity costs the same as the Pioneer, I would take the Infinity also.

Usually, the EMP will cost more than the Infinity P, and the Infinity P will cost more than the Pioneer FS.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I was reading at the Source Loudspeaker Technologies website that for some of their towers they recommend sitting no more than 10 feet from the speakers. Surprised me a bit, I probably should go back and read more as to their reasoning but it was late at night when I saw it and until now I had forgotten that I read it.
Maybe it's just for their speakers. :D

I've sat more than 10ft away from my speakers many times and they still sound great.

J

Jimz711

Full Audioholic
The claim is that distances greater than 10 feet favor reverberant energy and tend to lack focus.

I have to say I only saw the quote on the setup instructions for 2 of their smaller towers.

S

sid369

Audioholic Intern
acydeftechguy - I think you own both the infinity p363 and the KEF.

I had a chance to listen to the KEF Q900 today and although it was good, I could not tell whether it had a wide soundstage or even if the sound was forward enough for me. I tried to to crank up the volume but still did not get the wow factor from them. When I went in I thought that I would fall in love with these but left out feeling I should listen to other speakers before I spend my money.

I have a feeling that I don't have an ear for these sort of things. I went to another store and listened to the Martin logan motion 40 again something was missing. Then switched to B&W CM9, these were nice, i could feel the wide soundstage, but too expensive. I also though of trying out the energy CF50, although sounded good but not wide enough as the B&W.

Then I went to the budget speaker section and played the Pioneers, again did not get what Jim has been saying. Played the Klipsch F series, did not care for it. and then played the polk tsi, again felt that this is the kind of sound that I like, it immediately come to you, is bright, clear whatever the word is. it just jumps at you. But don't know if it has a wide soundsatge or not as it was in an isle and could not step back.

I have not looked into the B&W, do their entry level line also sound the same as the CM9? any recommendations, where would the emptek 55ti fall between these speakers.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
acydeftechguy - I think you own both the infinity p363 and the KEF.

I had a chance to listen to the KEF Q900 today and although it was good, I could not tell whether it had a wide soundstage or even if the sound was forward enough for me. I tried to to crank up the volume but still did not get the wow factor from them. When I went in I thought that I would fall in love with these but left out feeling I should listen to other speakers before I spend my money.

I have a feeling that I don't have an ear for these sort of things. I went to another store and listened to the Martin logan motion 40 again something was missing. Then switched to B&W CM9, these were nice, i could feel the wide soundstage, but too expensive. I also though of trying out the energy CF50, although sounded good but not wide enough as the B&W.

Then I went to the budget speaker section and played the Pioneers, again did not get what Jim has been saying. Played the Klipsch F series, did not care for it. and then played the polk tsi, again felt that this is the kind of sound that I like, it immediately come to you, is bright, clear whatever the word is. it just jumps at you. But don't know if it has a wide soundsatge or not as it was in an isle and could not step back.

I have not looked into the B&W, do their entry level line also sound the same as the CM9? any recommendations, where would the emptek 55ti fall between these speakers.
First, did you make sure the AVR was set to Direct mode or Pure Direct mode? Any other modes could affect the sound.

If so, it seems like you prefer the B+W and the Polk. I think the lower price B+W will sound similar to the CM9, but only you can be the judge.

Gotta buy what sounds the best to you, but make sure the sound is not fatiguing after a few hours of listening.

ousooner2

ousooner2

Full Audioholic
So you liked the Polk Tsi (Monitor line) & Energy CF's...and Didn't like the B&W CM's, ML Motion 40's & Q900's

sounds to me like you prefer a speaker with the treble pretty hot. I'd look into something like Klipsch RF's or Paradigms. Not sure where you're located, but search their websites and maybe there is a dealer around you. The e55's would fall into the one's you likely do not like as they're voiced neutral and don't tend to throw the soundstage out at you. They throw a soundstage a few feet outside of each speaker (mine are about 8' apart), a perfect center image on stage and good depth, but they don't feel like they're coming out at you and just uncontrollably filling the room. I wonder if that's more of a room characteristic (or at least a large part of) rather than 100% speaker characteristic??

J

Jimz711

Full Audioholic
It definitely seems like you prefer the Polk sound. Lots of places to find good deals on Polk. Newegg will often have pretty nice deals on the Monitor line you might want to check it out from time to time.

I can't really say anything that hasn't been said before, they are your ears so you have to buy what sounds best to you.

S

sid369

Audioholic Intern
So you liked the Polk Tsi (Monitor line) & Energy CF's...and Didn't like the B&W CM's, ML Motion 40's & Q900's

sounds to me like you prefer a speaker with the treble pretty hot. I'd look into something like Klipsch RF's or Paradigms. Not sure where you're located, but search their websites and maybe there is a dealer around you. The e55's would fall into the one's you likely do not like as they're voiced neutral and don't tend to throw the soundstage out at you. They throw a soundstage a few feet outside of each speaker (mine are about 8' apart), a perfect center image on stage and good depth, but they don't feel like they're coming out at you and just uncontrollably filling the room. I wonder if that's more of a room characteristic (or at least a large part of) rather than 100% speaker characteristic??
I liked the CM9 and the Q900, motion 40 not so much but compared to Q900 I liked the CM9 more. The KEF and CM9 were in two different stores. From what you are saying then the e55 is also out.

You are right I think that too that I like treble hot. I like the sound coming out of my car speakers than I have liked from most of these speakers. but my car speakers are not too treble hot either haha.

First, did you make sure the AVR was set to Direct mode or Pure Direct mode? Any other modes could affect the sound.

If so, it seems like you prefer the B+W and the Polk. I think the lower price B+W will sound similar to the CM9, but only you can be the judge.

Gotta buy what sounds the best to you, but make sure the sound is not fatiguing after a few hours of listening.
I did not change anything, the guy at the store just played it with whatever setting it already had. I listened to both cd and compressed music. maybe I don't have the ear to differentiate between a budget speaker and a hi-fi speaker. I left feeling if I can't tell the difference then why pay so much money for a hi-fi speaker when I get satisfied with mediocre speakers. Maybe its to do with how it was set up.

It definitely seems like you prefer the Polk sound. Lots of places to find good deals on Polk. Newegg will often have pretty nice deals on the Monitor line you might want to check it out from time to time.

I can't really say anything that hasn't been said before, they are your ears so you have to buy what sounds best to you.
Even if I go with the polks, I am thinking atleast go up to the RTIA7, I am sure it will be better than the polks. I have found a dealer who is an hour away and I will go try to listen to them, now I am afraid when I do that I may not like them either.

ousooner2

ousooner2

Full Audioholic
I liked the CM9 and the Q900, motion 40 not so much but compared to Q900 I liked the CM9 more. The KEF and CM9 were in two different stores. From what you are saying then the e55 is also out.

You are right I think that too that I like treble hot. I like the sound coming out of my car speakers than I have liked from most of these speakers. but my car speakers are not too treble hot either haha.

I did not change anything, the guy at the store just played it with whatever setting it already had. I listened to both cd and compressed music. maybe I don't have the ear to differentiate between a budget speaker and a hi-fi speaker. I left feeling if I can't tell the difference then why pay so much money for a hi-fi speaker when I get satisfied with mediocre speakers. Maybe its to do with how it was set up.

Even if I go with the polks, I am thinking atleast go up to the RTIA7, I am sure it will be better than the polks. I have found a dealer who is an hour away and I will go try to listen to them, now I am afraid when I do that I may not like them either.
The RTIa7 or the a9's should suit you well then. They're a little a little on the treble heavy/hot side, but they're not bad speakers by any means. The RTIa9 is a nice look speaker for sure. Resembles the e55ti a lot. Doesn't matter what else is out there, what other people might think is a better speaker, etc....you have to listen to it and purchase it. I've only had a very brief experience with the RTi line (& awhile ago at that), but it sounded quite a bit better than the Monitor/TSi line to me....for the better.

J

Jimz711

Full Audioholic
I can't speak much to the different Polk series, but based on pictures of the Monitor series, they look good and can be had at amazing discount prices if some patience is exhibited. They get excellent customer reviews at every site I've ever seen, all of these reviewers can't be wrong. The RTi line would most likely be a step up but I do not see it at the same discounts as the Monitor series.

I also see good reviews of the JBL studio series, some good professional reviews and the customer reviews although not as many as Polk seem to be quite positive. I know the JBL's did not test as well as some other speakers, but the reviewer did mention that they sound much better than they test. These can also be had for amazing discounts at Newegg if you are patient.

I have never heard the Martin Logan Motion 12 they are supposed to be the predecessor to the Motion 40 and they can be had for around 230 each at Newegg from time to time.

I do not know Newegg's return policy and I have never purchased speakers from them, but many people have and they are an authorized dealer for many brands. I did get a Yamaha receiver from them at a significant discount and it works like a charm.

They are the soul dealer for some speakers in the Klipsch line I believe some of the W series, although it appears the series has been discontinued so the towers are no longer available, but it does speak to the seller being solid.

S

sid369

Audioholic Intern
Yes the monitor series can get had for a good deal on newegg on sale, however, i like the looks of the RTIA better.

I want to add 2 more speakers and confuse myself even further...hahha

I found a Wharfdale 10.7 floor demo for $950 and the same store is also having a sale on Paradigm Studio 60 and 100 and the paradigm monitor 7,9 and 11.

I don't know the price as they wont tell over the phone, you have to go to the store to get the price, its a 1.5 hour drive and I am wondering if it would be worth going there even to listen. I have heard the paradigm monitor 7 but maybe it was too small for my liking, i mean the soundstage. I can go back to the store closest to me and listen to the monitor 11 and then drive, but Ia ma just wondering are they really good.

J

Jimz711

Full Audioholic
I think I'm about ready to go for the Focal 726 with 700 center, the total would be 1600. My only problem is the only color I've found available from an authorized dealer is light walnut. The price just seems really good, and allows me to get a nice receiver either on closeout or refurbished and be at 2000 my original budget for speakers.

I have to say if I were more on the home theater side I would have seriously considered Polk and HTD level 3. From what I've read the level 3 is a well balanced speaker and the front 3 are priced at 1000. You have to pay shipping but it is under 100. They have a 30 day return window but you'd have to pay shipping which for towers could be expensive.

If I'm looking Polk, I think I'm going with the Monitor series because of the price or the Lsi series. In my opinion the models in between just aren't going to be worth it. The Lsi can sometimes be found at great discounts.

You can find Polk on Ebay, you are buying direct from the manufacturer so it comes with full warranty, and sometimes you can find really nice deals there.

S

sid369

Audioholic Intern
I think I'm about ready to go for the Focal 726 with 700 center, the total would be 1600. My only problem is the only color I've found available from an authorized dealer is light walnut. The price just seems really good, and allows me to get a nice receiver either on closeout or refurbished and be at 2000 my original budget for speakers.

I have to say if I were more on the home theater side I would have seriously considered Polk and HTD level 3. From what I've read the level 3 is a well balanced speaker and the front 3 are priced at 1000. You have to pay shipping but it is under 100. They have a 30 day return window but you'd have to pay shipping which for towers could be expensive.

If I'm looking Polk, I think I'm going with the Monitor series because of the price or the Lsi series. In my opinion the models in between just aren't going to be worth it. The Lsi can sometimes be found at great discounts.

You can find Polk on Ebay, you are buying direct from the manufacturer so it comes with full warranty, and sometimes you can find really nice deals there.

Jim - why aren't you going with the 814/716v from A4L.com for $850. We listened to the newer focal 726 yesterday as they did not have the 716 and it sounded very good when playing music. When playing HT. We felt that we may have to adjust the settings so that the dialogue is more clean from the center channel. Other than that it sounded great.

So, I think I have narrowed it down to 2.

Polk RTIA7
CSIA6
RTIA4

I don't want the wall mounts as wife does not like them. It has to be bookshelves.

or
Focal Chorus - 814/716V
Center - CC814V 800V
Surround - FOCAL - CHORUS 705V
(this package will be around $1600)

I don't know how much the Polks will cost. The monitor series would cost less but don't really like the looks.

My wife and I both liked the Focals but we still have to listen to the Polks RTIA7 before we decide. ultimately it will come down to
cost then looks.

brianedm

brianedm

Audioholic General
Jim - why aren't you going with the 814/716v from A4L.com for $850. We listened to the newer focal 726 yesterday as they did not have the 716 and it sounded very good when playing music. When playing HT. We felt that we may have to adjust the settings so that the dialogue is more clean from the center channel. Other than that it sounded great.

Polk RTIA7
CSIA6
RTIA4

I don't want the wall mounts as wife does not like them. It has to be bookshelves.

or
Focal Chorus - 814/716V
Center - CC814V 800V

I don't know how much the Polks will cost. The monitor series would cost less but don't really like the looks.

My wife and I both liked the Focals but we still have to listen to the Polks RTIA7 before we decide. ultimately it will come down to
cost then looks.
Those Polks are excellent HT speakers, IMO. I'm not really into critical music listening at all. Just background music. I probably use about 95% HT and I'm very happy. That doesn't mean upgraditis doesn't still set in though :p

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
If the cost of the Polk is about the same as the Focal 814/716, I would unequivocally get the Focal.

The Focal are worth it for a little more. :D

J

Jimz711

Full Audioholic

Polk RTIA7
CSIA6
RTIA4

or
Focal Chorus - 814/716V
Center - CC814V 800V

cost then looks.
I'm looking at the 726 because I like the idea of a 3 way design and yes I'm interested in home theater but music is the priority. I can always up the volume from the center channel. Plus, I really do not want to be thinking of upgrading anytime in the near future so I'm getting as close to my budget as I can without going over, like I'm on the Price is Right.

The center channel is what had me originally looking at NHT. You can get a true 3 way design for just over 400 or less if you can find it on sale. Plus NHT's are sealed so placement is easy.

I really wanted to wait as I'm only upgrading to gift my Pioneers to my parents when they move, probably later this summer but it looks to me that the Focal 700 series are being discontinued which is why they are on sale so they probably won't be around and/or at this price forever. So if I do a quick about face and decide NHT is the better option because of the center channel, and placement ease I'll most likely wait for them to go on sale, the towers are just coming off sale. I don't think NHT would be for you though, because they are known to be very neutral, some of the better testing speakers out there.

Remember you can use any speakers for rears, so if you like one speaker over the other and it costs more just start with the front 3 and add surrounds later. I have some KEF dipoles that will be my surrounds, they match my furniture, and unless you listen to a lot of 5 channel music voice matching of surrounds is not an issue.

J

Jimz711

Full Audioholic
I should add that Polk is selling a pair of Lsi floorstanders for 1300 I think it was with actual free shipping, through their Ebay store. Now these are some heavy speakers just under 100 pounds each as they have built in subs, but even most of the people that do not like Polk would consider that series, they gave me pause last night but they are just too big for my apartment. You'd have to exceed your budget especially once you add a center, but since you like the Polk sound and since you are going to a house, you might want to consider them. I can pretty safely say that you would not need to even consider upgrading any time in the near future as you'd have the very top of the Polk line. Just throwing it out there, not even making a recommendation since I decided they are not for me, but you can never have too much info.

S

sid369

Audioholic Intern
I should add that Polk is selling a pair of Lsi floorstanders for 1300 I think it was with actual free shipping, through their Ebay store. Now these are some heavy speakers just under 100 pounds each as they have built in subs, but even most of the people that do not like Polk would consider that series, they gave me pause last night but they are just too big for my apartment. You'd have to exceed your budget especially once you add a center, but since you like the Polk sound and since you are going to a house, you might want to consider them. I can pretty safely say that you would not need to even consider upgrading any time in the near future as you'd have the very top of the Polk line. Just throwing it out there, not even making a recommendation since I decided they are not for me, but you can never have too much info.
What do you guys think of the following

Polk RTIA7 - $ 722.00 / pair
Polk CSIA6 - $ 335.00
FXIA6 surround - $ 356.00 / pair

total $1400
+
SVS PB 1000 sub - $ 360.00

Focal

Focal Chorus - 814/716V
Center - CC814V 800V
+sub

About $200 difference, am i getting better bang for the buck with polk or the Focals?

Which would have a bigger soundstage and better for movies

J

Jimz711

Full Audioholic
It's hard for me to truly say in terms of movies because the first thing I notice in any speaker is it's musicality. To me almost all decent sized speakers sound good with movies, paired with a good sub of course. Those Polk's with that sub will rock a home theater. However, with "only" a 200 dollar difference if music is a concern I would have to say if it were me I'm going with the Focal.

Remember you will in all likelihood have these speakers for many years so 200 is not a huge difference like it might be with something you will not keep nearly as long, but if you prefer the Polk's you can go out have some lobster, and champagne to celebrate.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis