$1400.00 for LCR 80% HT/TV 20% home music

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I am using rxv667

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Yeah, I would do 80Hz, Large, LFE+Main. :)

But everyone has to experiment between LFE vs LFE+Main & Large vs Small. I think 80Hz XO is solid, though.

ousooner2

ousooner2

Full Audioholic
I used to own the Infinity P362, so I have no doubt the EMP sound great. :D

So the SQ is there.

But I was thinking beyond the SQ; IOW considering factors when SQ are equal. Some people are willing to pay more to have speakers made in USA, England, France, Denmark, etc. Some people are willing to pay more for more prestigious name brands or for better subjective perceived aesthetic or better speaker posts, etc. It is superficial, but human nature nonetheless.

Oh, regarding MSRP, sometimes they are the same as the actual purchased price, not just "suggested".

For example, B&W, KEF, Focal, Dynaudio dealers will tell you that these manufacturers are quite strict about their MSRP - they expect people to pay full MSRP. Dealers are warned of losing their speaker lines if they stray from MSRP.

When I was buying my Focal, I thought about getting the Solo6 Be. But I could not even find a single dealer that was willing to sell for less than MSRP.

When I was buying my KEF 201/2, our Edmond local KEF dealer would not sell below MSRP; he said he would lose the KEF line if KEF ever found out. Same with our local Edmond Revel dealer when I was buying the Salon2. Our local Edmond B&W dealer said the same. ;)

So MSRP is not always "suggested"; they are being expected & demanded of dealers by some manufacturers.
Yeah I figured some of the higher/flagship lines would be sold for what the suggested retail price is at. I was out in Edmond and stopped by that dealer to have a listen to the Q500's, but he wasn't open. I guess there's a Paradigm dealer around town here too, but he only had the Monitor 7's and then the Signatures I think.

My brother heard my setup and immediately wanted it for his house, but I don't really know if I want him to have it lol. And no telling when exactly the e55ti's will be back in stock (June is the expected date). I might have him pick up these 814v's.

Acudef
What would you recommend the crossover setting for the focal? Should I set them too large or small and should I set the Bass to the sub as well as the mains?

I'd start with 80hz and play with it. It's not set in stone, but that's always a fairly reasonable place to start. Move it up and down and see what meshes the best in your room.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah I figured some of the higher/flagship lines would be sold for what the suggested retail price is at. I was out in Edmond and stopped by that dealer to have a listen to the Q500's, but he wasn't open. I guess there's a Paradigm dealer around town here too, but he only had the Monitor 7's and then the Signatures I think.

My brother heard my setup and immediately wanted it for his house, but I don't really know if I want him to have it lol. And no telling when exactly the e55ti's will be back in stock (June is the expected date). I might have him pick up these 814v's.
They had the Studio 100 v3 when I auditioned a few years ago. I also auditioned the Imagine T @ a PSB dealer in Edmond. Also RBH T3 in Edmond. Every damn dealer in OK is in Edmond! :eek:

Yeah, you need to make an appointment to each dealer.

Have you been to Audio Dimension in Edmond for B&W 800D/ 802D?

ousooner2

ousooner2

Full Audioholic
The Paradigm dealer said he "put in an order and it should be here in a few weeks". He was saying it like he might have some of the higher stuff like the Monitor 11's, Studio 60's/100's, etc. I know the Monitor 11's are more than my e55ti's (quite a bit more actually) and I wouldn't be surprised if I didn't like them as much. I heard the Monitor 9 and it was okay I guess. Kinda just felt like a Klipsch speaker to me.

There's a PSB dealer too? Dang. Didn't know that. I'd like to hear some of them. Haven't been to Audio Dimension either. I'm sure those 800/802D's are nice

How do you like those RBH sx-1010n's? Those are the powered subs they have right (maybe I've got it backwards)? I'm thinking about doing dual subs now since my space is big and I think they'll look good on either side of my new tv stand. Can't decide what I want to spend though lol. Some DIY 15's/18's would sure be fun, but I'm not sure if I could finish them to look nice AND I'm not sure about what I need to do for the pro amps (connections, if they're going to be too loud, get to hot in a cabinent, etc)

S

sid369

Audioholic Intern
The Paradigm dealer said he "put in an order and it should be here in a few weeks". He was saying it like he might have some of the higher stuff like the Monitor 11's, Studio 60's/100's, etc. I know the Monitor 11's are more than my e55ti's (quite a bit more actually) and I wouldn't be surprised if I didn't like them as much. I heard the Monitor 9 and it was okay I guess. Kinda just felt like a Klipsch speaker to me.

There's a PSB dealer too? Dang. Didn't know that. I'd like to hear some of them. Haven't been to Audio Dimension either. I'm sure those 800/802D's are nice

I listened to the paradigm 7 yesterday an liked it. So when you say it felt like klipsch speakers, would you say that it would be similar to the klipsch RF62ii or the RF82ii.

I like bright and crisp sound, would use mostly for HT 80% and 20% music. I am coming from a HTIB and I am easily impressed, but don't like warm or laid back sound.

Will be trying the martin logan motion 40 as well.

ousooner2

ousooner2

Full Audioholic
Never heard the 62's and I heard the 82's about 8 years ago at Ultimate Electronics. They sounded okay, but definitely not for their price they had them for. I felt like everything accentuated the bass and treble. The lower midrange and well, midrange all together felt recessed and somewhat fake sounding to me.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Never heard the 62's and I heard the 82's about 8 years ago at Ultimate Electronics. They sounded okay, but definitely not for their price they had them for. I felt like everything accentuated the bass and treble. The lower midrange and well, midrange all together felt recessed and somewhat fake sounding to me.
We were probably in the same UE store listening to those Klipsch. :D

To be fair, nothing sounded very good in those UE stores (both @ I-240 & @ Memorial Rd).

Just like the Studio 100 sounded bad at the Paradigm dealer & even the Imagine T sounded very mediocre at the PSB dealer. My Infinty P362 sounded better when I got home. :eek:

So unfortunately that's the problem with auditioning at stores/ shops. The B&W, RBH, KEF, & Revel were in a "home" type environment, so they sounded much better than the stores & shops (Klipsch, Definitive, PSB, Paradigm).

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Haven't been to Audio Dimension either.

How do you like those RBH sx-1010n's? Those are the powered subs they have right (maybe I've got it backwards)? I'm thinking about doing dual subs now since my space is big and I think they'll look good on either side of my new tv stand. Can't decide what I want to spend though lol. Some DIY 15's/18's would sure be fun, but I'm not sure if I could finish them to look nice AND I'm not sure about what I need to do for the pro amps (connections, if they're going to be too loud, get to hot in a cabinent, etc)
You gotta go Audio Dimensions. They had 800D, 802D, 805D, McIntosh gears, etc.

I like my RBH SX-1010N (N = Non-powered) a lot. When I auditioned the RBH T2, I was blown away by the 1010N subs. At the time, I had the DefTech BP7000SC and SC Trinity sub. And I thought the 1010N was punchier and tighter for some reasons. That was the only reason I thought the RBH T2 was better than my system - because of the 1010N unpowered subs. So I just had to have the 1010N.

I am using all 100% unpowered subs now. Suits me just fine. I am happy. So I am sure you would be happy w/ DIY subs too.

S

sid369

Audioholic Intern
accessories4less has the focal chorus 814/716v and I emailed them and they said I can try them for 30 days. I am just worried that when I listened to the focal book shelves I did not find the sound coming to me.

How would you guys say the infinity primus 363 sound would be. is it bright and comes to you, or is it warm?

ousooner2

ousooner2

Full Audioholic
Well you have a lot of subs and speakers...that's for sure! Those 1010N's do look nice though (and wow....I didn't even think about the N meaning non-powered lol :eek:)

Those would look absolutely awesome on either side of my stand (with the e55's being outside of those). Let me know if you want to sell them, though RBH might be out of my league for now. I really wish I had the skills or knew someone that could DIY a box like that. I wish Erich at diysoundgroup would sell some stuff like this that's a little taller and not so deep. I'm VEEEERY tempted to pick up a few 3cuft sealed boxes and throw some 15's in there, buy a good budget amp and call it a day.

Maybe the guy who built those ER18's in Piano black (i think he's in Norman) would be willing to help! I just don't want something that looks bad like I spray painted it in the Oklahoma wind lol.

ousooner2

ousooner2

Full Audioholic
accessories4less has the focal chorus 814/716v and I emailed them and they said I can try them for 30 days. I am just worried that when I listened to the focal book shelves I did not find the sound coming to me.

How would you guys say the infinity primus 363 sound would be. is it bright and comes to you, or is it warm?

For sure they'll let you try them, not likely for free though. I'm sure you'll have to pay return shipping if you don't like them, but who knows. I heard the p363 once (also at UE lol) and they were okay also. I liked them more than the RF's, but I concentrate more on the midrange than boom and sizzle. I'd think the 814v's are noticeably better though. I felt like the p363's could get a little harsh up top at times, but not fake and tinny like the RF's. I can't really recall much more than that as it's been too long, sorry.

I'm not quite sure what causes some speakers to sound like they're on top of you, whereas some are a few feet in front of the speaker and go "deeper"...if that makes sense. My e55's throw a stage that's about 2' wider on each side of the speaker, image perfectly in the center and when running setup discs (stuff like 7 beats across the stage, etc) they are perfectly spaced and live performances have depth. I know my Energy C-500's (which aren't anywhere near these) kind of threw the sound stage out at you, but they were quite midbass heavy and the top end was recessed.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Well you have a lot of subs and speakers...that's for sure! Those 1010N's do look nice though (and wow....I didn't even think about the N meaning non-powered lol :eek:)

Those would look absolutely awesome on either side of my stand (with the e55's being outside of those). Let me know if you want to sell them, though RBH might be out of my league for now. I really wish I had the skills or knew someone that could DIY a box like that. I wish Erich at diysoundgroup would sell some stuff like this that's a little taller and not so deep. I'm VEEEERY tempted to pick up a few 3cuft sealed boxes and throw some 15's in there, buy a good budget amp and call it a day.

Maybe the guy who built those ER18's in Piano black (i think he's in Norman) would be willing to help! I just don't want something that looks bad like I spray painted it in the Oklahoma wind lol.
What about the EMP ES1010i ?

EMP Tek ES1010i Subwoofer

Looks even better than my SX-1010N. That's not right. My SX-1010N is $1200 each, and this 1010i (what is the "I" stand for? :eek:) is $500, and the 1010i looks better than the 1010N. Not right at all.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I say pretty damn good. I say neutral sound. But everyone has his own idea/ interpretation.

If you can get the P363 for < $300/PR, I think they sound very good.

I heard the Pioneer FS52 also sound very good at home. But they may sound like crap at a Best Buy store. :D

Unless the listening environment is like a home environment (carpets, rugs, rapes, curtains, sofas, pillows, etc), the speakers may sound like crap. :D

S

sid369

Audioholic Intern
I want a speaker that when I listen to them puts a smile and I say wow every time.

When you guy say polks are muddy , what exactly does that mean?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I want a speaker that when I listen to them puts a smile and I say wow every time.

When you guy say polks are muddy , what exactly does that mean?
Well, it means they don't sound crystal clear. But that's just our experience. And just with the lower end Polk, not higher end. The higher end may sound crystal clear.

R

robb99

Audioholic Intern
Got my focals in. Loving them so far.

Do you all use any audio or video calibration discs?

Also give some good movie ideas to try them out.

Thnx!

ousooner2

ousooner2

Full Audioholic
I have quite a few audio calibration discs.

Autosound Discs, Alan Parsons soundcheck, etc. Maybe we can set something up like burning them and sending them to you or something

S

sid369

Audioholic Intern
Between the emp tek 55ti and infinity p363 which would you guys prefer more?

I love how the emp tek looks. Do they have any kind of deals on them?

R

robb99

Audioholic Intern
I'm glad I chose the focal over the emp tek

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis