$1400.00 for LCR 80% HT/TV 20% home music

J

Jimz711

Full Audioholic
Myself, I've pretty much narrowed it down to the same Focal, and the NHT. I know both are great choices and I really can't go wrong, EMT is also a well regarded choice that I'm sure you would also like. I just have the Boston RS series in the back of my mind because it is actually cheaper than either of my other choices, and the center is basically the same speaker.

I have KEF IQ1's, and they are a really good speaker, but they showed me that I prefer towers for music.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
If you all had to choose would you go for the EMP 55ti or the focal 814?

I think I have finally narrowed it down between the two choices.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
You know which one I would get. :D

J

Jimz711

Full Audioholic
I'm not sure one of each would provide great voice matching.

J

jm78

Junior Audioholic
Also a strong choice. I've got the Q700/Q600 as my front stage and they do a fantastic overall job in my book. I consider their sound to be much more natural than the Klipsch Reference speakers they replaced (RF-5s, RC35 up front).
Would you say the kef has a neutral sound? Any harsh highs? I'm trying to avoid sibilance. I find polk rti, klipsch reference too bright.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Would you say the kef has a neutral sound?
Reasonably so, yes. FWIW, I also did a few in room measurements over in the KEF Speakers thread, starting with this post:
http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/loudspeakers/83017-kef-speakers-6.html#post957878

Any harsh highs?
Not IMO, though the big Q900 was measured to have some relatively uncontrolled breakup from the mid/woofer. I'd suspect with their smaller drivers, the rest of the range wouldn't suffer from that problem quite as heavily.

R

robb99

Audioholic Intern
Well I just purchased the focals.

I hope I love them.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Congrats! Let us know what you think of them when they arrive.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Well I just purchased the focals.

I hope I love them.
Congrats!

I would have done the same. :D

$1800MSRP for $800 is a bargain. And now you can say that you own speakers Made in France! ;)

I have speakers "made" in England, France, USA, Denmark, Mexico, & China. :D

I need Japan, Italy, & Germany now. :)

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
I have speakers "made" in England, France, USA, Denmark, Mexico, & China. :D
I have to live with China and the US I guess :p Actually the Klipsch RF-5s I'm trying to get rid of are US made too as I understand it :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I have to live with China and the US I guess :p Actually the Klipsch RF-5s I'm trying to get rid of are US made too as I understand it :D
Yup, the Reference, THX, & higher end models are made in Hope, Arkansas, USA. One thing Klipsch owners have something to be proud of. ;)

After I get the KL650-THX-Ultra2, I will have 3 sets from USA (Klipsch, Linkwitz, Philharmonic) and 3 sets from England (KEF, B&W, ATC). :D

J

Jimz711

Full Audioholic
I think you made a great choice with the Focals, enjoy.

ousooner2

ousooner2

Full Audioholic
I dont get why MSRP has any place in this hobby. I think Klipsch, Axiom and a few other manufacturers are a great example of that. There's a reason it's called Manufacturer SUGGESTED Retail Price...

Buy why your ears like, and eyes also.

R

robb99

Audioholic Intern
I agree, I think that it should be used to get a rough estimate of quality of item sight unseen or heard. Which is why all the ID companies have a msrp as well.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I dont get why MSRP has any place in this hobby. I think Klipsch, Axiom and a few other manufacturers are a great example of that. There's a reason it's called Manufacturer SUGGESTED Retail Price...

Buy why your ears like, and eyes also.
A speaker with a MSRP of $1800 or $2,000 is usually going to be better built with better aesthetic than a speaker with a MSRP of $800.

R

robb99

Audioholic Intern
A speaker with a MSRP of $1800 or $2,000 is usually going to be better built with better aesthetic than a speaker with a MSRP of $800.
I'm counting on it ;-)

ousooner2

ousooner2

Full Audioholic
Usually lol. Not always :D. You should come have a listen to these EMP e55ti' sometime. They'll make you go "what.the.hell.....wow" for their price (especially what I got them for on Black Friday!).

It's just the MSRP is suggested and a lot of these ID and smaller companies don't have things to pay like tons of employee's, bills for multiple facilities, tons of R&D (which is a bad thing and a good thing depending on how you look at it), etc. They have to recoup that money somehow ya know. Focal makes quality stuff though for sure. Never heard their home stuff, but I've hear various drivers in car setups (krx3, utopia's, ec and those were definitely good; the polyglass line...I don't know how I felt about those. Quick listen and not used with a focal tweeter)

I'm counting on it ;-)

I'm sure you'll love them. A guy on another forum has the e55ti's and had the 814v and center setup before his EMP's...loved those too. Said they sounded surprising similar. For their price it's a steal. They were my go to if I didn't like the EMP's when I received them

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Usually lol. Not always :D. You should come have a listen to these EMP e55ti' sometime. They'll make you go "what.the.hell.....wow" for their price (especially what I got them for on Black Friday!).

It's just the MSRP is suggested and a lot of these ID and smaller companies don't have things to pay like tons of employee's, bills for multiple facilities, tons of R&D (which is a bad thing and a good thing depending on how you look at it), etc. They have to recoup that money somehow ya know. Focal makes quality stuff though for sure. Never heard their home stuff, but I've hear various drivers in car setups (krx3, utopia's, ec and those were definitely good; the polyglass line...I don't know how I felt about those. Quick listen and not used with a focal tweeter)

I'm sure you'll love them. A guy on another forum has the e55ti's and had the 814v and center setup before his EMP's...loved those too. Said they sounded surprising similar. For their price it's a steal. They were my go to if I didn't like the EMP's when I received them
I used to own the Infinity P362, so I have no doubt the EMP sound great. :D

So the SQ is there.

But I was thinking beyond the SQ; IOW considering factors when SQ are equal. Some people are willing to pay more to have speakers made in USA, England, France, Denmark, etc. Some people are willing to pay more for more prestigious name brands or for better subjective perceived aesthetic or better speaker posts, etc. It is superficial, but human nature nonetheless.

Oh, regarding MSRP, sometimes they are the same as the actual purchased price, not just "suggested".

For example, B&W, KEF, Focal, Dynaudio dealers will tell you that these manufacturers are quite strict about their MSRP - they expect people to pay full MSRP. Dealers are warned of losing their speaker lines if they stray from MSRP.

When I was buying my Focal, I thought about getting the Solo6 Be. But I could not even find a single dealer that was willing to sell for less than MSRP.

When I was buying my KEF 201/2, our Edmond local KEF dealer would not sell below MSRP; he said he would lose the KEF line if KEF ever found out. Same with our local Edmond Revel dealer when I was buying the Salon2. Our local Edmond B&W dealer said the same. ;)

So MSRP is not always "suggested"; they are being expected & demanded of dealers by some manufacturers.

Last edited:
R

robb99

Audioholic Intern
Acudef
What would you recommend the crossover setting for the focal? Should I set them too large or small and should I set the Bass to the sub as well as the mains?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Acudef
What would you recommend the crossover setting for the focal? Should I set them too large or small and should I set the Bass to the sub as well as the mains?

Which AVR do you have?

I always use 80Hz for XO (even my Salon2, 802D2, Orion, & Focal 826V).

I like double bass, so I like to set 80Hz XO, Large, & LFE+Main. :D

R

robb99

Audioholic Intern
I am using rxv667

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis