12v trigger issues with Denon AVR-X5200 & Emotiva XPA-3.

Michael DeLury

Michael DeLury

Enthusiast
I am having an issue with my Denon AVR-X5200 receiver and Emotiva XPA-3 Amp with the 12v trigger.

I have 2 trigger output on the Denon rec. and 1 input & 1 output on the Emotiva XPA-3.
Yes!!! I have the trigger in the input on the XPA-3.

The problem I am having is when the Denon triggers the XPA-3 on its starts ups and then turn off in the middle of recognizing all the channels.

I can manual turn XPA-3 on it will stay on for about 5 min then kicks offs every now and then. Not always though... I guess when there is no sound or input change.

I was told by Denon at start up the receiver send a short signal/pulse to the amp. I got a feeling that XPA-3 need to be a continuous signal.

I unplugged the XPA-3 for over a hour and unplugged everything from the amp to kinda reset itself.
I double checked all my connections before powering it back up and no change whatsoever.

Any suggestions? My goals is to have the XPA-3 come on with the Denon receiver during any activity that I play. Using Harmony Ultimate Remote.
Has anybody else had this issue with Denon receivers trigger other devices?

I would love some input or suggestions!!!

I have the following equipment... Using in a 5.2.4 home theater system..
Denon AVR-X5200 receiver
XPA-3 Emotiva Amp
SVS PC-12 Plus Subwoofers
BP-8060ST tower for front speakers
CS-8060HD center speaker
SR-8040 surrounds speakers
DI-5.5R ceiling speakers
65" LG 4K UHD TV
Home Media Computer hooked up for streaming and etc.

T

Tom Grooms

Audiophyte
In a D&M dealer and I do a fair bit of Denon and Marantz installations. The only 12 volt trigger problems I've ever encountered was with customer supplied Emotiva amps. Happened twice actually. The fix was to put a 12 volt triggered delayed output power center in the chain. It's got to be an Emotiva issue

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Hi, Michael. Have you ever triggered that XPA-3 from any other equipment? I'm wondering if you know if it has worked in the past.

Also, have you checked the trigger settings on your Denon? If not, check out page 252 of the Denon owners manual to see how to set the trigger to come on. I'm guessing that you want it to come out for the main zone for all inputs.

Michael DeLury

Michael DeLury

Enthusiast
So, what was the solution? I see Emotiva has a trigger switch ET-3.
Will I need this?
What is your recommendations?

In a D&M dealer and I do a fair bit of Denon and Marantz installations. The only 12 volt trigger problems I've ever encountered was with customer supplied Emotiva amps. Happened twice actually. The fix was to put a 12 volt triggered delayed output power center in the chain. It's got to be an Emotiva issue

Michael DeLury

Michael DeLury

Enthusiast
No! I do not have any other device that I would need a trigger.
Denon does get volts to the Emotiva, but it doesn't stay on when triggered. The amp startup and goes through two of the channels and then kicks off.

I doubled checked my receiver setting and I have both trigger 1 & 2 setting to everything input to ON.

Any other suggestions?

Hi, Michael. Have you ever triggered that XPA-3 from any other equipment? I'm wondering if you know if it has worked in the past.

Also, have you checked the trigger settings on your Denon? If not, check out page 252 of the Denon owners manual to see how to set the trigger to come on. I'm guessing that you want it to come out for the main zone for all inputs.

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
I can manual turn XPA-3 on it will stay on for about 5 min then kicks offs every now and then.
This doesn't sound like a trigger problem. Check your speaker wires. Sounds more like you have a short and the xpa3 is just protecting itself.

Michael DeLury

Michael DeLury

Enthusiast
I checked all the speaker wires. They are from Emotiva USS speaker cables with their XRCA cables.
You think one of these could be bad? If I turn it on manually it will stay on. If there a really low volume or if an input is changed. Last night I disconnected the the trigger cables and everything works fine.
The only thing is I have to manually turn it on and off. No big deal.
I was just trying to have it manually come on by itself with the receiver through my Harmony remote.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis