12 volt trigger question?

captiankirk28

Full Audioholic
Hi everyone i have been having some problem with my 12 v trigger from my reciver to my XPA-3 they both take 3.5mm plug ends but i can not get the trigger to work, just wondering if anyone had any ideas on this. Thank you
Kirk

T

timone

Junior Audioholic
Hi everyone i have been having some problem with my 12 v trigger from my reciver to my XPA-3 they both take 3.5mm plug ends but i can not get the trigger to work, just wondering if anyone had any ideas on this. Thank you
Kirk
Make sure you plug the cable in the "output" of your receiver and "input" of your XPA-3. Make sure that your XPA-3 is in standby mode (the switch at the back is left 'on").

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
What settings are you using now on the Pioneer for the trigger that is not working. When I had a 72txv it was fairly straight forward but I don't quite remember the layout. I'll download the manual and take a look.

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
Ah yes now I remember this is a bit of a pain. Go to pg 67 of your manual. You have to set the trigger for each input in the input setup menu.

I remember this was not as good a setup as the Onkyo/Integra when it came to the zone2/zone3 settings but for the main zone it worked fine.

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
did set the 12v trigger to on inthe inputs setup menu?

edit: highlander has it

captiankirk28

Full Audioholic
On my reciver it has 2 triggers i have mine hooked up to trigger 1 and set to main it has the other settings of zone 2 and zone 3 for the trigger settings.

Now i also have herd that a stereo wire with the plugs will not work but i have bought some mono plugs and used just some speaker wire, maybe i have the wire hooke up in the plugs backwards. I hooked the same wire to the small post on both ends and the same wire to the bigger post on both ends of the 3.5mm jacks.

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
I am positive I used a stereo 3.5mm cable because I'm using the same one now so I don't think that is the issue.

I did not make mine but purchased a stock cable and cut the end off that goes to my amp because it uses a bare wire connection.

Does that amp have a switch on the back like the MPS-1's that has to be set for it to trigger?

T

timone

Junior Audioholic
Actually, stereo cable works. That's what I use on my Yamaha RX-V3800 and UPA-7.

captiankirk28

Full Audioholic
I am positive I used a stereo 3.5mm cable because I'm using the same one now so I don't think that is the issue.

I did not make mine but purchased a stock cable and cut the end off that goes to my amp because it uses a bare wire connection.

Does that amp have a switch on the back like the MPS-1's that has to be set for it to trigger?
Their is no switch on the XPA-3 just plug it in. I am going to switch to a stereo 3.5 wire i bought and see if that works right now.

captiankirk28

Full Audioholic
Well i called Emotiva and they said that with the XPA-3 you have to use a Mono 3.5mm wire. So maybe this will help someone else out also.

Thanks for all your fast responses!!
Kirk

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
Also, a trigger timer is great. Some power bars include delay AC receptacles.

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
maybe i have the wire hooke up in the plugs backwards. I hooked the same wire to the small post on both ends and the same wire to the bigger post on both ends of the 3.5mm jacks.
This is most likely the cause since it is not necessary that both AVR and amp use the same polarity (inside ground/negative, outside positive, as per convention). Look again in the trigger section for the receiver and the amp. It should give the polarity of the AVR output and amp input. Verify that you are feeding the positive of the AVR to the positive of the amp.

Alternately, undo the terminations on the amp end of the wire and expose the bare conductors. Keep the 3.5mm jack hooked into the amp trigger in. Now use the conductors to see which polarity makes the amp turn on. Once this is determined, reterminate the wire with the 3.5mm jack.

Assuming the amp works perfectly fine when manually powered and the trigger circuit is working too, you should be up and running in no time.

B

Birdman84

Enthusiast
Not to hijack the thread but does anyone know who can make a trigger cable up for me. I have the onkyo 885 pre/pro with the 12 volt trigger outs and need it to go to a DB 25 on my AT1505. I could make one but it would look like crap. I would rather have a professional looking cable.

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
Also, a trigger timer is great. Some power bars include delay AC receptacles.

This seems to be your best solution BM

Not to hijack the thread but does anyone know who can make a trigger cable up for me. I have the onkyo 885 pre/pro with the 12 volt trigger outs and need it to go to a DB 25 on my AT1505. I could make one but it would look like crap. I would rather have a professional looking cable.
If your amp uses serial control pinouts for the trigger, you need to have them tell you which pins carry the signal.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis