Basic Guide on "How to Login to a Router"

jinjuku

jinjuku

I don't know if Netgear still does this super annoying thing: You couldn't hit the LAN side login page out of the box. You had to use their *wizard* or know about a certain URL to bypass the *wizard* (I use that term lightly). The other fix was to simply run a cable from the WAN port on the Netgear to a LAN port on the Netgear and then it would let you into the main/default login screen.

L

Lordhumungus

Audioholic
Is the Netgear password actually capitalized? My memory isn't what it used to be, but I'm reasonably certain the default is all lowercase.

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
Seem like Netgear and D-Link goes a long way to make their products much more annoying than any other piece of software.....
I sometimes gets rejected logins on my D-Link DIR-655 even though I'm 100% sure username and password is correct, I retry, write the exact same thing and voila.....

Is there an "annoyance level" setting somewhere in the Firmware?

If you're using linux, these two commands can be useful too:
- Show the ip adress of your network cards: ip address show
- Show the ip routing table: route -n

But probably those who run linux are not within the target audience of this article :p

Last edited:
jinjuku

jinjuku

To see the routing table in Windows it's: route print. I've put in several NIC cards in a windows machine back in the day (NT) and turned it into a router in an emergency.

M

Moni

Audiophyte
Hey,

Your explanation was so thorough, thanks, I managed to login to my router. I'd like to add my phone to the trusted devices, but I can't find such a command. All the other devices have been added by someone else and I was only watching, and now I can't remember how they did it.

Would you please explain me how to do this? Thanks!!

Moni

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
I don't know if Netgear still does this super annoying thing: You couldn't hit the LAN side login page out of the box. You had to use their *wizard* or know about a certain URL to bypass the *wizard* (I use that term lightly). The other fix was to simply run a cable from the WAN port on the Netgear to a LAN port on the Netgear and then it would let you into the main/default login screen.
I've always bought Netgear routers and haven't seen that behavior in years. You can use the IP address because you know it is going to be 192.168.0.1 or use routerlogin.net. Over the years they've had other aliases too.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis