speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Hey Phil.

You could try what I did. Best Buy may be into the cycle of getting rid of last years model of receiver. To put this in perspective in 2010 I picked up the Denon 4308Ci floor model for $420 out the door. It was still selling for $1600 at that time. Came with full warranty.
Actually, my plan is to go by my local BB and see what kind of deal I can get on the day I actually buy my receiver. Thus, I have had some really good luck with them as of late to the point I have actually been impressed. That is saying something......Haha! It sure never hurts to check them out. The only thing is my local BB does NOT have a Magnolia which sucks. Hope all well your way. Thanks for posting.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Looks like the A adds an extra HDMI out, a front mounted optical input, another analog stereo in, an rs-232 connection [for control], theoretically 5 more watts and don't forget the fifth foot!
Exactly, nothing real significant to me. I would even bet that the 673 and the 820 use the same exact amp set-up. The extra 5 watts is bs imho. The 820 looks better for sure, but I am not too concerned with that either.....LOL! Thanks for your input.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Hey man. Been hoping you would post here. I know you are quite knowledgeable regarding receivers. That being said, can you explain why to me you feel this way with respect to the A820? I could care less about having (2) sub pre-outs. Chances are, I will ONLY be using one. If I need another as I have had in the past, then I will just use a Y-adapter. To be honest, I really don't see much of a difference between the RX-V673 and the A820. I believe they BOTH employ the same exact amps. You agree?
I am not suggesting the 820 at all but the 810 due to its price drop. I agree they probably all share the same amps, the 810 is two pounds heavier so the power supply may be slightly larger but that does not mean much either. I prefer the 810 mainly because of the preouts and it may (just guessing) have a better quality preamp section. My guess is that since some of their higher end models were known to have very high quality preamp sections, that trait will likely triggle down to the lower models that have preouts as well.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I am not suggesting the 820 at all but the 810 due to its price drop. I agree they probably all share the same amps, the 810 is two pounds heavier so the power supply may be slightly larger but that does not mean much either. I prefer the 810 mainly because of the preouts and it may (just guessing) have a better quality preamp section. My guess is that since some of their higher end models were known to have very high quality preamp sections, that trait will likely triggle down to the lower models that have preouts as well.
I see. Not sure if I can get a good deal on an 810. Never hurts to try. I do know, I can get a great deal on a 673 and /or 720. How do you think these two compare to the Pioneer VSX-1122K or the Denon 1913? Right now, the Denon 1913 is going for $400.00. The Pioneer is going for about $375 or so. BTW, I have noticed many receivers sure weigh less than they use to. Why is that? Are the amps more efficient and thus weigh less?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I see. Not sure if I can get a good deal on an 810. Never hurts to try. I do know, I can get a great deal on a 673 and /or 720. How do you think these two compare to the Pioneer VSX-1122K or the Denon 1913? Right now, the Denon 1913 is going for $400.00. The Pioneer is going for about $375 or so. BTW, I have noticed many receivers sure weigh less than they use to. Why is that? Are the amps more efficient and thus weigh less?
More efficient amps, transformers, heat sinks, and more use of plastics all help reduce weight and packaging/shipping costs. Again, I prefer models that have preouts but if you can't get a deal on the 810, The 1912 or 13 are okay. If you prefer Audyssey XT, then you have to go up to the 2112/3 or down to the 1712 that may be hard to find.

Last edited:
speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
More efficient amps, transformers, heat sinks, and more use of plastics all help reduce weight and packaging/shipping costs. Again, I prefer models that have preouts but if you can't get a deal on the 810, The 1912 or 13 are okay. If you prefer Audyssey XT, then you have to go up to the 2112/3 or down to the 1712 that may be hard to find.
No real need for pre-outs. The 1913 is $400 right now at several retailers. Not a bad deal. Audyssey XT just basically adds more spots to measure widening the sweet-spot? That is no big deal to me either because of such a small living room. A few measurements is all I need.

GregLee

GregLee

Audioholic Intern
I agree that Yamaha receivers have a much better reputation for reliability than Onkyo receivers. I've never had a Yamaha receiver. I did have an Onkyo TX-NR3008 9.2 channel receiver for two years, which broke recently. I replaced it a couple of weeks ago with a Pioneer SC-1522-K. I've had 3 other Pioneer receivers, which all worked fine.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I can say that Onkyo's upper end don't get near as hot as they used to. My 809 barely gets warm to the touch after many hours of use. I don't push it too hard except for movies and even then it doesn't get very warm. I was worried about that when I bought it, but I couldn't pass the deal up. Also, it has a full ATX HTPC case sitting on top, so not much ventilation. I do leave the closet door open so it get's plenty or air.

A few things I feel that are missing from the onkyo are amp assign that I believe Denon supports. It would be nice to be able to use the internal amps for what I want and use external amplification, but it doesn't have the option.

Can't go wrong with Yamaha, Denon, or Pioneer. All great brands. Since there are big differences in their RC options that may be a factor even though you have that small room.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I agree that Yamaha receivers have a much better reputation for reliability than Onkyo receivers. I've never had a Yamaha receiver. I did have an Onkyo TX-NR3008 9.2 channel receiver for two years, which broke recently. I replaced it a couple of weeks ago with a Pioneer SC-1522-K. I've had 3 other Pioneer receivers, which all worked fine.
Thanks Greg for your input. How are you liking your Pioneer 1522? It looks to be a great receiver. However, it is out of my budget range. How does the Pioneer 1522 compare to your old Onkyo 3008 in terms of power/features albeit the Advance MCACC/Audyssey? Just curious as to your thoughts on that.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I can say that Onkyo's upper end don't get near as hot as they used to. My 809 barely gets warm to the touch after many hours of use. I don't push it too hard except for movies and even then it doesn't get very warm. I was worried about that when I bought it, but I couldn't pass the deal up. Also, it has a full ATX HTPC case sitting on top, so not much ventilation. I do leave the closet door open so it get's plenty or air.

A few things I feel that are missing from the onkyo are amp assign that I believe Denon supports. It would be nice to be able to use the internal amps for what I want and use external amplification, but it doesn't have the option.

Can't go wrong with Yamaha, Denon, or Pioneer. All great brands. Since there are big differences in their RC options that may be a factor even though you have that small room.
Thanks for your input. It is good to know your Onkyo does not get too hot. There seems to be a problem though with the hdmi boards from last years models from what I garner. That is another concern for me.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
What do you mean Higher resolution filters for satellite speakers? I am a bit confused here......which is nothing new.....hahahahahahah!
Not satellite speakers ala little cubes or anything, the discrete satellite channels in a surround mix, ie front left, front right, center, surround left, surround right, as opposed to the subwoofer channel. As per the chart on the Audyssey website, base 2EQ does nothing with the subwoofer output, but applies correction to the satellite channels with "X" amount of resolution (I believe it's on the order of a couple dozen FIR filters per channel, but could be mistaken). MultEQ applies filters with twice the resolution of 2EQ to the satellite channels, and filters with 128X the resolution to the subwoofer. Bumping up to XT you get 16X resolution on the satellite channels, and the same resolution as MultEQ on the subwoofer channel. Then there is XT32 which applies 512X filters on the satellite channels and the subwoofer channel.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Not satellite speakers ala little cubes or anything, the discrete satellite channels in a surround mix, ie front left, front right, center, surround left, surround right, as opposed to the subwoofer channel. As per the chart on the Audyssey website, base 2EQ does nothing with the subwoofer output, but applies correction to the satellite channels with "X" amount of resolution (I believe it's on the order of a couple dozen FIR filters per channel, but could be mistaken). MultEQ applies filters with twice the resolution of 2EQ to the satellite channels, and filters with 128X the resolution to the subwoofer. Bumping up to XT you get 16X resolution on the satellite channels, and the same resolution as MultEQ on the subwoofer channel. Then there is XT32 which applies 512X filters on the satellite channels and the subwoofer channel.
Sounds complicated......LOL! No really, I have lots to learn here. Thanks for your help.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Oh brother! To complicate things more, I just found an Elite VSX-53 for ONLY $500 shipped! It sure looks great and the specs are impressive. Just have to look into it further. Anyone here have any experience with this Elite? At a little over 30 lbs. it looks to be a beast! Please help..............

ahblaza

ahblaza

Audioholic Field Marshall
Oh brother! To complicate things more, I just found an Elite VSX-53 for ONLY $500 shipped! It sure looks great and the specs are impressive. Just have to look into it further. Anyone here have any experience with this Elite? At a little over 30 lbs. it looks to be a beast! Please help..............
Phil you need to slow down and just pull the trigger, I think any of the choices mentioned will be more than adequate to handle your setup, so in other words you can't go wrong with any of them, my only concern would be pre-outs, many people say in the beginning they don't care about them, and later wish they had.
Cheers Jeff

GregLee

GregLee

Audioholic Intern
Thanks Greg for your input. How are you liking your Pioneer 1522? It looks to be a great receiver. However, it is out of my budget range. How does the Pioneer 1522 compare to your old Onkyo 3008 in terms of power/features albeit the Advance MCACC/Audyssey? Just curious as to your thoughts on that.
The Pioneer SC-1522 is better than my old Onkyo 3008, even when the Onkyo was working. It's cheaper, lighter, runs cooler, drives my 4ohm speakers at least as well, produces a better soundstage, has better networking capabilities.

People who talk about the Onkyo requiring multiple mic positions for calibration, fineness of the eq filters, sub eq, should be more concerned with the actual sound quality, as opposed to paraphrasing the manufacturer's product literature, in my opinion. No more Onkyos for me.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Phil you need to slow down and just pull the trigger, I think any of the choices mentioned will be more than adequate to handle your setup, so in other words you can't go wrong with any of them, my only concern would be pre-outs, many people say in the beginning they don't care about them, and later wish they had.
Cheers Jeff
LOL......funny you mention that because that is EXACTLY what I did today. In fact, I bought a Yamaha RX-A810 that does come with the pre-outs you mention. I got a deal that I could NOT pass up. Bit more than I wanted to spend, but am pleased with my purchase. I have it on a LAY-A-AWAY right now. I should have it very soon. Thanks for your input.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
The Pioneer SC-1522 is better than my old Onkyo 3008, even when the Onkyo was working. It's cheaper, lighter, runs cooler, drives my 4ohm speakers at least as well, produces a better soundstage, has better networking capabilities.

People who talk about the Onkyo requiring multiple mic positions for calibration, fineness of the eq filters, sub eq, should be more concerned with the actual sound quality, as opposed to paraphrasing the manufacturer's product literature, in my opinion. No more Onkyos for me.
Thanks once again for all of your input. As bad as I wanted a Pioneer, I opted for a Yamaha RX-A810 instead. The deal was too good to pass on. I will have it very soon. I am still chipping away. Gosh, it feels good!

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord

I compared the Pioneers to the Onkyo 3009 I ended up with and both work just fine. You're also comparing a brand new pioneer model to a 2010 Onkyo model. No wonder the networking features are a bit better on the newer model :rolleyes:

Don't be scared off by the negative Onkyo talk. No I would not recommend the lower end models, but 8XX on up are pretty solid units. My 3009 is a tank and performs flawlessly.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis