Yamaha RX-V2600 w/ Aragon 2007

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Yamaha RX-V2600 w/ Aragon 2007 is being hooked up to my 7.2 living room system. I was going back and forth whether or not to use the Aragon 2007 or not but after reading

Driving 4 ohm loads is certainly not the RX-V2500’s forte,
from Clint's review of the 2500 which presumably has the same amps I decided to give my SongTowers and SongCenter every advantage.

The purpose of this thread was initially about whether or not to use the amp but I'm past that now. The question at hand is how the 2600 is going to handle an HDMI signal from my HD cable box. I want the TV to work while the 2600 is off. Is that going to work?

I don't really care about the cable signal going into the 2600. For me it's all about what comes out of my DMP-BDT500 but it would be nice to have the option of just letting the girl watch her shows with just TV speakers like she has been doing or turning on the system for the odd occasions that I watch a TV program.

The DMP-BDT500 will have an HDMI cable going straight to the TV and 8 channel analog audio outs going to the 2600. For me that's the money. No doubt I'll have some questions about set up once I get to that.

EDIT: I have this HDX-401E HDMI Switcher from Monoprice that supports spec. 1.3.
Am I right in thinking that I should just use that instead of the rec'r which only supports HDMI 1.1?

Last edited:
adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
Yes Alex you need to use the amp in that huge apartment of yours.:D

The receiver does not support ARC or any kind of standby passthrough so you cannot have the HDMI pass through so the lady can watch TV w/o the system on. Does the cable box have component outputs that are active along with the HDMI? If so I would use these and set get a decent remote so it can do the source switch on the TV to component and you will be good to go.

I'm not sure what advantage the matrix would add to your setup. If the receiver is only 1.1 then it will not support decoding the hi-res formats and you will have to set your player to LPCM anyway. I guess if you have handshake issues you can add it in the mix later but these usually introduce as many issues as they solve.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Yamaha RX-V2600 w/ Aragon 2007 is being hooked up to my 7.2 living room system. I was going back and forth whether or not to use the Aragon 2007 or not but after reading

from Clint's review of the 2500 which presumably has the same amps I decided to give my SongTowers and SongCenter every advantage.

The purpose of this thread was initially about whether or not to use the amp but I'm past that now. The question at hand is how the 2600 is going to handle an HDMI signal from my HD cable box. I want the TV to work while the 2600 is off. Is that going to work?

I don't really care about the cable signal going into the 2600. For me it's all about what comes out of my DMP-BDT500 but it would be nice to have the option of just letting the girl watch her shows with just TV speakers like she has been doing or turning on the system for the odd occasions that I watch a TV program.

The DMP-BDT500 will have an HDMI cable going straight to the TV and 8 channel analog audio outs going to the 2600. For me that's the money. No doubt I'll have some questions about set up once I get to that.

EDIT: I have this HDX-401E HDMI Switcher from Monoprice that supports spec. 1.3.
Am I right in thinking that I should just use that instead of the rec'r which only supports HDMI 1.1?
I might have known the answer a few years ago but memory had faded since so I would just try it. If I understood right you only need the video because the audio is covered by the analog outs from the BDT500.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Yes Alex you need to use the amp in that huge apartment of yours.:D
Okay, that just floored me. :D

Does the cable box have component outputs that are active along with the HDMI? If so I would use these and set get a decent remote so it can do the source switch on the TV to component and you will be good to go.
The cable does have component but that is output as 480p where the HDMI is 720p. I thought the picture looked better using the cable box HDMI.

I'm not sure what advantage the matrix would add to your setup. If the receiver is only 1.1 then it will not support decoding the hi-res formats and you will have to set your player to LPCM anyway. I guess if you have handshake issues you can add it in the mix later but these usually introduce as many issues as they solve.
You're kind of losing me here with 'matrix' and 'LPCM'. I think it's lossless pulse code modulation meaning analog audio which the Blu-ray player, as PENG points out, decodes into analog and goes into the receivers 8 channel inputs.

The BR HDMI goes straight to the TV because the hdmi switch doesn't do well with 1080p. I've used the switch before and there weren't any issues sources other than the BR. I'm not sure if I ever tried the laptop HDMI out through the switch.

I might have known the answer a few years ago but memory had faded since so I would just try it. If I understood right you only need the video because the audio is covered by the analog outs from the BDT500.
That is correct.

I think if I use the switch for the cable and Denon DVD 1920 I can use the TV's optical audio out to route a digital (dolby/dts) signal back to the rec'r for the times I want to amp up TV programming. That would just save me running digital connections to the rec'r from multiple sources and it would allow me to leave a spare HDMI 'in' on the switch for the laptop in case I ever want to try that out again.

The switch stays on and negates the need for the rec'r to be powered up for TV viewing. I guess I would need to run an HDMI cable from the rec'r to the switch for the GUI.

I'm waiting for Doug to chime in with some insights. He's got the 2500 and they're pretty similar. I'm getting it figured out in my head just like I figure out everything else: slowly. :rolleyes:

Alrighty then, I have to turn off the computer so that I don't spend all day talking about this as opposed to actually doing it.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Hey, Alex. Some thoughts:

Video Quality
From what I've found on the internet, the 2600 doesn't support 1080p at all. It will do 720p or 1080i, but that's the limit. So, for video quality from blu-ray and cable, you're better off running the HDMI connections straight to the TV.

Audio Quality
You can run the TV optical audio cable to the 2600 as you mentioned, but (and I forget which Panasonic TV you have) most TVs will only output two-channel audio through that output when using an HDMI source. Does the cable box have a digital audio output? If so, I'd suggest connecting it and your Denon to the Yamaha using the digital audio connections. That way, you'll get full surround sound, as the digital audio connections will support all of the audio codecs from those two sources (neither will do the newer lossless codecs like DTS-HD, so you don't need HDMI from them for audio).

You could also get an HDMI splitter like one of these that would let you run audio/video to the TV and audio to the Yamaha, just in case the Denon and/or cable box make you go through the menu system to change the audio output from HDMI to the digital audio jack. Well, or just get a new receiver. :D

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Hey, Alex. Some thoughts:

Video Quality
From what I've found on the internet, the 2600 doesn't support 1080p at all. It will do 720p or 1080i, but that's the limit. So, for video quality from blu-ray and cable, you're better off running the HDMI connections straight to the TV.

Audio Quality
You can run the TV optical audio cable to the 2600 as you mentioned, but (and I forget which Panasonic TV you have) most TVs will only output two-channel audio through that output when using an HDMI source. Does the cable box have a digital audio output? If so, I'd suggest connecting it and your Denon to the Yamaha using the digital audio connections. That way, you'll get full surround sound, as the digital audio connections will support all of the audio codecs from those two sources (neither will do the newer lossless codecs like DTS-HD, so you don't need HDMI from them for audio).

You could also get an HDMI splitter like one of these that would let you run audio/video to the TV and audio to the Yamaha, just in case the Denon and/or cable box make you go through the menu system to change the audio output from HDMI to the digital audio jack. Well, or just get a new receiver. :D
Holy smokes do you ever know a lot of vague stuff about rec'rs in general. That splitter would just require a bunch more HDMI cables. I can get that same DD or DTS signal across fiber optic or coaxial which I have plenty of laying about. Good call on the audio out from the TV. Mine's a THPZ77U I believe. My TV only has 2 HDMI 'ins' so I have the BR in one and the switch (which also serves to pass through the 720p/1080i cable signal) plugged into the other. Both HDMI cables are fancy BJC jobs. I'm not going to have the rec'r handle any video but just in case there is a composite and component wire set going through the wall from the entertainment center to the TV.

I had to come find that for the 8 channel ins you have to use the DVD ins for the R&L channels. That's wild.

Anywho, here's a couple of pic's of wire mayhem but I want everyone who has to suffer trying to wiggle fingies in behind the back of gear that this is a much better way.

ManTown side:

Living room side:

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
People can bash on HDMI all day, but no one can convince me that running one cable for high-res multichannel doesn't beat running a bunch of RCAs. :p :D

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
People can bash on HDMI all day, but no one can convince me that running one cable for high-res multichannel doesn't beat running a bunch of RCAs. :p :D
I'm 100% down with HDMI for that. I'm not down with $1600 for a 4311. I'm lucky to have snagged this 2600 for $350 but if I ever need a sugar daddy you'll be hearing that knock at the door. :eek: :D

surveyor

surveyor

Audioholic Chief
I'm 100% down with HDMI for that. I'm not down with $1600 for a 4311. I'm lucky to have snagged this 2600 for $350 but if I ever need a sugar daddy you'll be hearing that knock at the door. :eek: :D
I had an Yamaha RX-V2600 untill about a month ago. I sold it on EBAY for $300.00 with a $20.00 shipping charge. It's a very good AVR indeed!:)

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
I told the wife and the boy to use the Harmony 700 and don't change anything...The SVS's are on all the time whether they want them or not.:)

No HDMI on the 2500 so video goes strait to the TV and I use digital coax or optical for audio. (man this thing is old...)

The 2500 does good with the SVS's but they are crossed at 80hz...if I get stupid with the volume it falls apart but my guess is that the room is in play there also.

I'm waiting on Adam to buy me a Yamaha RX-A3020.:D

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Reading this and seeing the photos (were you ever able to close the rear hatch with all the added cables?) has given me painful flashbacks to when I installed my Panasonic BR player. Getting the HDMI cable from the BR player to the TV was a piece of cake, but it was a nightmare getting those 6 RCA cables between the BR player and the non-HDMI receiver hooked up correctly.

Just when you finished installing that custom-designed HT cabinet and getting all your gear wedged into it, you had to get weak and add that 7 channel big-iron amp which we all know you don't really need :rolleyes:. How long did you spend thinking about that custom design making sure it was "future proof" :D?

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Reading this and seeing the photos (were you ever able to close the rear hatch with all the added cables?) has given me painful flashbacks to when I installed my Panasonic BR player. Getting the HDMI cable from the BR player to the TV was a piece of cake, but it was a nightmare getting those 6 RCA cables between the BR player and the non-HDMI receiver hooked up correctly.

Just when you finished installing that custom-designed HT cabinet and getting all your gear wedged into it, you had to get weak and add that 7 channel big-iron amp which we all know you don't really need :rolleyes:. How long did you spend thinking about that custom design making sure it was "future proof" :D?
I did get the wires routed a bit better and it does close. My wiring woes although considerable are nothing compared to how it use to be. What do you mean I didn't need that amp? I sure hope you don't get put on forum probation for saying that. The reason for the rec'r swap was that the monitor out failed on my previous H/T rec'r and I couldn't pull up my OSD without which there is no setting the individual channel gains. I had it working and I think it may just be the jack at fault but at this point I wasn't about to investigate especially while I had the 2600 in ManTown. Short changing the living room in any measure is unthinkable at this point. That's also the reason for the Aragon 2007. The Yamaha RX-V2600 and 2500 for that matter do poorly with a 4 Ohm load. I mean they would do well enough for normal use but what about when I want to show off? You should know by now that when I give, I give till it hurts.

Future proofing? What's that? :D I made the EC for an H/K AVR 430. I had no idea I would ever have another rec'r. I went forty some odd years without ever owing any rec'r so I thought I was all done. Who knew that things would get so out of hand?

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I will admit that watching Sinister and having this amp push those speakers during the parts that are suppose to make me jump was quite a bit of fun. Then I saw Adele do some tune for Sky Fall on the Oscars I believe. You know what else is cool? It turns on and off with the rec'r. For me that level of automation is like up there. Anyway, here's the pic taken in low light so you can see the blue. Not bad, huh?

surveyor

surveyor

Audioholic Chief
I will admit that watching Sinister and having this amp push those speakers during the parts that are suppose to make me jump was quite a bit of fun. Then I saw Adele do some tune for Sky Fall on the Oscars I believe. You know what else is cool? It turns on and off with the rec'r. For me that level of automation is like up there. Anyway, here's the pic taken in low light so you can see the blue. Not bad, huh?

Awesome amp!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis