Connecting a Graphic EQ to Receiver Without "Tape 2 Loop"...Possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

PearlcorderS701

Banned
I was considering adding a graphic EQ to my 2-channel system -- not even sure who makes one outside of the pro world besides AudioControl -- but my Onkyo stereo receiver doesn't have TAPE 2 loop accomodations, where an EQ would normally connect...

Is it possible to run an EQ through the receiver in some other way...could I connect, say, the EQ to the standard TAPE IN/OUT (which the receiver has) and then run the recording device (my TASCAM CD recorder) through the EQ's back panel? The TASCAM deck is the component that was going to be connected to the receiver's TAPE IN/OUT so that I could record off vinyl and such, but could the EQ go in the TAPE jacks instead?

Stereodude

Stereodude

Senior Audioholic
You're out of luck unless you're using an outboard amplifier.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
I was considering adding a graphic EQ to my 2-channel system -- not even sure who makes one outside of the pro world besides AudioControl -- but my Onkyo stereo receiver doesn't have TAPE 2 loop accomodations, where an EQ would normally connect...

Is it possible to run an EQ through the receiver in some other way...could I connect, say, the EQ to the standard TAPE IN/OUT (which the receiver has) and then run the recording device (my TASCAM CD recorder) through the EQ's back panel? The TASCAM deck is the component that was going to be connected to the receiver's TAPE IN/OUT so that I could record off vinyl and such, but could the EQ go in the TAPE jacks instead?
Receiver pre-outs and amp in is needed. Check Behringer for EQ gear.

P

PearlcorderS701

Banned
Thanks for the quick replies, guys...

But I'm a bit confused -- why would I need an outboard amp for this to work? Couldn't I just use the receiver's standard TAPE jacks to run the EQ through, and then my CD recorder can go through the EQ's back jacks? In other words, because the EQ will take up a "tape" input of the receiver, doesn't it provide it's own bank of RCA jacks to connect a CD recorder (or tape deck)?

Further, with regard to mtry's suggestion, my TX-8555 does have main pre outs -- is this where the EQ would run through? I have read that this method provides unstable voltage sometimes for the EQ, resulting in audio output level peaks and dips; is there no way to do this through the standard TAPE jacks? Is this because there's no "monitor loop" function via the regular TAPE input (as opposed to TAPE 2)?

walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
If am not mistaken you can go from your receiver pre out to EQ to amp in on your receiver.

P

PearlcorderS701

Banned
If am not mistaken you can go from your receiver pre out to EQ to amp in on your receiver.
Thanks Walter...

Would this allow me to hear all sources connected to the receiver EQ'ed when active? What do I do then, if down the road, I want to actually add an external power amp to the receiver using its preamp out? The jacks would be taken by the EQ...:confused: :(

Let me see if I have your connection explanation correct...are you saying:

RECEIVER PREAMP OUT > EQ IN?
EQ OUT > PREAMP IN?

Is this right?

walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
Thanks Walter...

Would this allow me to hear all sources connected to the receiver EQ'ed when active? What do I do then, if down the road, I want to actually add an external power amp to the receiver using its preamp out? The jacks would be taken by the EQ...:confused: :(

Let me see if I have your connection explanation correct...are you saying:

RECEIVER PREAMP OUT > EQ IN?
EQ OUT > PREAMP IN?

Is this right?
From receivers Pre-amp out to in on EQ, from EQ out to in on power amp of receiver. When you add an extra amp just go to that amp from EQ out instead of amp on receiver. Little confused, but that's OK. If you want to use both amplifiers (from receiver and external power amp) then you have to split your signal from EQ out to amps in.

P

PearlcorderS701

Banned
Okay...I'm more than a little lost...

You are mentioning connections to a receiver's "amp" but where would this be? All I have on my stereo receiver to make any of this work is one "TAPE" input and a preamp out...so, would the EQ connect just through the preamp out jacks?

walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
You do have a receiver with pre amp out jacks, right. You remove the jumpers that go between pre amp out and power amp in. Those little hooks.

Last edited:
M Code

M Code

Audioholic General

If the TAPE 2 loop is a monitor type circuit mainly for 3-head analog recorders...
Then YES you can connect as requested above..
Confirm back the Onkyo model # and we will try to confirm it is in fact a tape monitor circuit. Note that the majority of stereo receivers more than 5 years old has this feature...

Just my $0.02.. ;)

P

PearlcorderS701

Banned
If the TAPE 2 loop is a monitor type circuit mainly for 3-head analog recorders...
Then YES you can connect as requested above..
Confirm back the Onkyo model # and we will try to confirm it is in fact a tape monitor circuit. Note that the majority of stereo receivers more than 5 years old has this feature...

Just my $0.02.. ;)
I made it clear in the original post that my TX-8555 does not have "TAPE 2" jacks out back -- only one "TAPE" in/out interface...

P

PearlcorderS701

Banned
You do have a receiver with pre amp out jacks, right. You remove the jumpers that go between pre amp out and power amp in. Those little hooks.
There are NO "jumper hooks" in my preamp out interface on the back of my receiver -- and there is no "POWER AMP IN" jack, either...:confused:

J

jeannot

Audioholic
If I understand well, your receiver has Pre-Outs, but no "Amp-In". Old receivers used to have pre-outs and amp-ins with jumpers going from one to the other. That explains why someone here assumes you have amp-ins.

The person suggesting an external amp had perceived that you did not have amp-ins. In that case he was correct, if you run your pre-out through the EQ, there is no way back in for the signal: it needs a new power amp.

As far feeding the EQ through the pre-outs, the catch is that since your volume control is BEFORE the pre-out, all the EQ noise will be fed at "full volume" to the amp - you will have more background noise, in your TASCAM as well. Also, the input of your TASCAM would be affected by your receiver volume, which you probably don't want.

Another option you have is if you plan to use your EQ always on the same source. If you do, then you're in luck. You can connect your source to the EQ IN, and run the EQ OUT to your high level input of your receiver. And connect your TASCAM to the EQ OUT as well, may be using RCA "Y"s to split the signal. If your source is vinyl, you would have to get an external phono preamp.

P

PearlcorderS701

Banned
If I understand well, your receiver has Pre-Outs, but no "Amp-In". Old receivers used to have pre-outs and amp-ins with jumpers going from one to the other. That explains why someone here assumes you have amp-ins.
I think you are clearing some things up here, jean -- indeed, my receiver is not that old, at all, and does not feature pre outs with an amp-in.

The person suggesting an external amp had perceived that you did not have amp-ins. In that case he was correct, if you run your pre-out through the EQ, there is no way back in for the signal: it needs a new power amp.
So, in my situation, using the receiver's PRE OUT jacks won't work for an EQ, correct? Again -- I have NO "AMP-IN" interface...

As far feeding the EQ through the pre-outs, the catch is that since your volume control is BEFORE the pre-out, all the EQ noise will be fed at "full volume" to the amp - you will have more background noise, in your TASCAM as well. Also, the input of your TASCAM would be affected by your receiver volume, which you probably don't want.
No -- I would not want the levels of the CD recorder being affected by receiver volume; so, are you basically saying that I shouldn't, or can't, use my receiver's PRE OUTs anyway?

Another option you have is if you plan to use your EQ always on the same source. If you do, then you're in luck. You can connect your source to the EQ IN, and run the EQ OUT to your high level input of your receiver. And connect your TASCAM to the EQ OUT as well, may be using RCA "Y"s to split the signal. If your source is vinyl, you would have to get an external phono preamp.
I realize that I could do this -- that is, just run one source through the EQ and then send it off to the "CD" input of the receiver, or whatever, but I want EVERY source to be equalized in this system, not just the CD or Phono...

What about utilizing the standard "TAPE" ins/outs of the receiver? Can't I, as I have been asking, run the EQ in and out through this RCA interface of the receiver and then run the TASCAM CD recorder through the EQ's ins and outs?

walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai

You're 100% right. I just pulled up that manual. I was under the assumption that all receivers have pre-out - amp in. I have never owned a receiver or integrated amp that did not have this option, and I am going back 40+ years. Sorry my mistake. Was just trying to help out. I guess I got some more to learn.

P

PearlcorderS701

Banned
Indeed -- my receiver, as I have been telling you Walter (not sure why you didn't just believe me) does not have AMP IN jacks and I never even heard of that until now; given this, I don't know how to run an EQ through this system...

walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
Indeed -- my receiver, as I have been telling you Walter (not sure why you didn't just believe me) does not have AMP IN jacks and I never even heard of that until now; given this, I don't know how to run an EQ through this system...
It's not that I didn't believe you, like I said this is new to me. I just have never seen this before. I guess it's called "cutting cost". Sorry.. All I can think of which was mentioned before is that you need an external power amp.

P

PearlcorderS701

Banned
So, if I cannot use the PRE OUT of my receiver to run an EQ, can I use its main "TAPE" -- NOT TAPE 2 -- jacks?

J

jeannot

Audioholic
So, in my situation, using the receiver's PRE OUT jacks won't work for an EQ, correct? Again -- I have NO "AMP-IN" interface...
Right, won't work at all if you have no AMP-IN - and I know that you don't.
No -- I would not want the levels of the CD recorder being affected by receiver volume; so, are you basically saying that I shouldn't, or can't, use my receiver's PRE OUTs anyway?
Yep
I realize that I could do this -- that is, just run one source through the EQ and then send it off to the "CD" input of the receiver, or whatever, but I want EVERY source to be equalized in this system, not just the CD or Phono...
okay...
What about utilizing the standard "TAPE" ins/outs of the receiver? Can't I, as I have been asking, run the EQ in and out through this RCA interface of the receiver and then run the TASCAM CD recorder through the EQ's ins and outs?
No, because your receiver does not have a real Tape loop, what we used to call a Tape Monitor. I am including the block diagram or your selector below. You will see that the Tape Out is whatever is selected in the main zone, and if you select Tape In, well your Tape Out will only be the Tape In... (You DO have a main zone pre-out, it's just outside the diagram.)

Another option against which there are 50 valid reasons, is to use a secondary receiver as your selector and phono preamp. ITS Tape Out could feed your EQ, then your EQ could go in your CD IN. You loose remote capability for the selector, but you get everything else you want. Any old receiver would work.

Attachments

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis