Component Video Cable Used as a Subwoofer Cable

B

bsteve2

Audiophyte
Component video cables (separated) are being sold as a subwoofer speaker cable (go to ebay, subwoofer cable).

Though both cable types have RCA connectors, what are the ramifications and concerns with this reverse application

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
"reverse"??

Dunno about that, but there are no problems using component video, composite video, or digital audio cables for audio purposes. ...and that includes use as subwoofer cables.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Just a question...

component video cables "should" be 75 ohm coax with RCA connectors
digital audio coax is 75 ohm coax with RCA connectors

so, they "should" be the same, but why bother with cheapo crap on the bay of scoundrels, when a true digital audio coaxial cable is so reasonably priced
http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10236
Why "should" one use a digital audio cable for a subwoofer, which was the question?

FWIW, virtually any interconnect "will" work fine for a digital cable for distances generaly encountered in home situations. Been there, done that.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Component video cables (separated) are being sold as a subwoofer speaker cable (go to ebay, subwoofer cable).

Though both cable types have RCA connectors, what are the ramifications and concerns with this reverse application
You actually have it backwards in terms of "reverse". A video cable will ALWAYS work for analog audio, while an analog audio cable does not require the same specs and may not work for video.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
highfigh

highfigh

There would be no ramifications, unless the subwoofer just has its own ideas of which type of cable is correct and refuses to take the signal it's being fed.

Grab a piece of coax and a pair of compression RCA ends, install the ends and be done with it. If you just want to use up a component video cable because it's available, go ahead. If you have a piece of coax that was already terminated, get a pair of F-RCA adapters and put them on, plug it in and use that. RG59 or RG6 will work fine and if you can hide it, even better. Regular coax is used for audio all the time and nobody will ever hear the difference between that and all of the other stuff.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
maybe that's why my sub sounds so good.:D I use one for my sub. You'll be fine. But most folks have plenty of RCA cables. Any RCA or coaxial type will work.

highfigh

highfigh

When its coax :) And you know that... btw the way I understand where you were going.
Oh, you mean the cables that have 'Digital' all over the packaging, right? "Digital headphones", "Digital" on speakers, "Digital cables" for connecting the analog audio from a CD or DVD player, etc?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis