20 Albums You Should Own, But Probably Don't

Rock&Roll Ninja

Rock&Roll Ninja

Audioholic Field Marshall
Astor Piazzolla - Tango: Zero Hour (shame on you for not listing this yet)

Kodo - Live at Acropolis (if you like studio polish the more ecclectic Mondo Head is right up your alley)

Rodrigo y Gabriela - Rodrigo y Gabriela

Nirvana - Mtv™ Unplugged in New York (If you don't own this album, kill yourself. Or better yet, buy the album then kill yourself. It has that effect on some people.)

Richard Thompson - Live from Austin, Texas

Basil Poledouris - Conan The Barbarian (movie soundtrack)

Beethoven - Symphony No.9 (sure you've heard of it, but do you own the greatest work of music and listen to it?)

I

indcrimdefense

Audioholic
great thread, got some good advice on some new music to buy: a few lesser known or obscure cd's from my collection.

rachel yamagata - happenstance, i think this is her only cd, released several years ago, track 3 was a hit single on 92.3 in indy, bit of rock, bit of blues, several very good ballads, powerful vocalist. track 3 just rocks, track 5 is a heartbroken ballad. my only criticism is when is the next cd coming out? probably the most purchased disc by my friends after hearing it, virtually regardless of music preferences.

dave brubeck, time out has already been listed & is always worthy of recognition, but a few more obscure brubeck titles: jazz at the college of the pacific I & II, not the best recording quality but quality early brubeck, even better is live at oberlin college in sacd. also recommend live at concord sacd

sarah mclaughlan - accoustic, just 5-6 songs, sarah a piano & a guitar.

bodean's - best of the bodean's, several great classics on here, track 2 is a personal fav both at home & in the car

death cab for cutie - not a huge fan of their earlier work, but do recommend the jonathan byrd ep, transatlanticism & plans - the timing & pace of track 2, tracks 9 & 10 are also favs. the directions dvd is videos done by independent filmmakers for i think all of the songs on plans, sound quality is not on par with the cd (dvd is dolby digital) but an interesting dvd.

U2/Vertigo Live DVD - unfortunately not also released on cd, great sound quality for a concert dvd with multiple audio options (stereo pcm, dolby digital & DTS for surround), but a great concert. if your fan of how to dismantle an atomic bomb this is a must.

judith owen/here- great voice, great recording, great jazz singer, but listening all the way through can be a bit depressing as alot of the songs deal w/ lost love.

van cliburn/tchaikovsky piano concerto #1/rachmaninoff piano concerto #2, hybrid sacd - one of the greats for classical piano

k's choice/greatest hits - the big single about 10 years ago was "i'm not an addict" which just throbs, rest of cd has a bit of filler but also some gems, including several small venue live recordings, track 5 comes to mind which are very well recorded. one of my long term reference cd's for evaluating components.

sting/all this time - jazz/blues arrangments of classic police & sting hits w/ an ensemble cast of great musicians (chris botti, christian mcbride), fields of gold has a fantastic bassline

christina aquilera/back to basics - recommendation is only for track 17 - nasty naughty boy, i'm not a fan of her's, i respect her voice but not her music. however she does a breathy, smokey jazz version of this song that just does it...

uber obscure - blu martini mix - blu year's eve 2006 - a remix disc of 33songs done by a talented local dj, everything from aha take on me to led zepplin, beyonce, diddy, jefferson airplane. the remixes are exceptional, never thought i could listen to much less like a justin timberlake song, recording quality is exceptional (have not talked to the dj but owner of blu martini confirmed my suspicion that these were recorded off LP) & a body, whomp & an embarrassingly get up and dance quality (i have zero business dancing, it's not pretty) the likes of which i have found in other tracks, but not for the majority of a cd, particularly one consisting of 33 songs (although some songs are not the full length album version).

Matt34

Matt34

With you on that one - great album. I've seen them live a few times, and they always amaze. If you get the chance to go to one of their gigs, don't miss it!

Just discovered this duo myself, great stuff!!:D

skizzerflake

skizzerflake

Audioholic Field Marshall
If you're a Tom Waits fan, or even if you're not, Orphans is great. The project started out as a collection but, being the fertile mind that Waits is, he wasn't satisfied with the past. The 3 cd collection ended up with 56 songs, 30 of which are new or re-recorded. Each cd has a theme, Brawlers, Bawlers and Bastards, each with a different sound and style, all connected by his carefully ravaged voice. This is a "magnum opus" from the back alleys of Waits's imagination.

D

DefaultName

Audiophyte
I pretty much grew up with the classics likes of Eagles, Scorpions, and the Beatles.

Last edited by a moderator:
billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
I would certainly agree that the Eagles and the Beatles are classics, but the Scorpions? LOL.:rolleyes:
He was attempting to get some free advertising or trolling. There was a link attached in their signature, anyways I rather like the Scorpions:p.

J

Joe Schmoe

Audioholic Ninja
He was attempting to get some free advertising or trolling. There was a link attached in their signature, anyways I rather like the Scorpions:p.
I have nothing against the Scorpions, I just think they fall rather short of being "classic" (especially to anything like the same degree as the Beatles or the Eagles!:eek:)

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
Agreed

I was online last night and clicked on his sig! All I can say is, Default had an agenda. :)

P

potemkin

Audiophyte
Righty, this is my first post and I am old - a child of the seventies so please make allowances for that.

And here we go:

Radiohead: Hail to the Thief
Can: Tago Mago
Ten Years After: Stonedhenge
Santana: Welcome
Miles Davis: *****es Brew
Pink Floyd: Atom Heart Mother
Dead Can Dance: Wake
Our Lady Peace: Gravity
Ian Brown: Solarised
and finally Marillion: Clutching At Straws

H

Hawkeye

Full Audioholic
Two cds I recently picked up may be of interest here.

Godfrey Townsnd - "Easy Journey to Other Planets" - '70 rock guitar influenced. Think Page, Trower, Beck, Clapton, Gilmour, and have pretty good idea of what you'll find here. He's played with a who's who of classic rockers. All instrumentals, all blending together very nicely. Listen to samples at cdbaby.com

Abigail's Ghost - "Selling Insincerity" - They are described as an "art rock band" on their website. They list Porcupine Tree as one of their influences and they make quite an effort to sound like them, IMO. Fans of PT and Blackfield will this cd very accessible, I would think. Parts of it will really give your subwoofer a workout. Sample music at their website.

D

dhead1

Enthusiast
Rob,

I Liked your list, I just ordered from Amazon the following...( all inspired by this thread)

10. Cantus - Let Your Voice Be Heard
12. Sonny Rollins - Way Out West: ( I will work my way up to the $50.00 version)
13. Dave Brubeck - Time Out
18. Steely Dan - Two Against Nature

Plus James Taylor Concert Live @ BeaconTheator

Thanks

Duane

D

dhead1

Enthusiast
Rob,

I Liked your list, I just ordered from Amazon the following...( all inspired by this thread)

10. Cantus - Let Your Voice Be Heard
12. Sonny Rollins - Way Out West: ( I will work my way up to the $50.00 version)
13. Dave Brubeck - Time Out
18. Steely Dan - Two Against Nature

Plus James Taylor Concert Live @ BeaconTheator
I recieved my new cds yesterday and am impressed with all.

Cantus is recorded very well. I will wear it out within weeks.

Duane

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

I recieved my new cds yesterday and am impressed with all.

Cantus is recorded very well. I will wear it out within weeks.

Duane

I love that Cantus disc. I've been fortunate to hear them perform a couple times in the same venue where that recording was made. Very impressive each time!

R

rasta0078

Audiophyte
My musical selections are not listed in any specific order. And most of you will hate this music, but these are cds I cant live without.

Circa Survive - Juturana
Saosin - Translating The Name
Saosin - Saosin EP
Days Away - Mapping An Invisible World
Zao - Liberate Te Ex Inferis
Thrice - The Illusion of Safety
The Early November - For All of This
Beloved - The Running EP
As I Lay Dying - Shadows Are Security
Norma Jean - Bless The Martyr And Kiss The Child
Tribes of Neurot - Grace
Emery - The Weaks End
MeWithOutYou - [A-->B] Life
Underoath - They're Only Chasing Safety
Living Sacrifice - Reject

I could go on forever but I will stop there. If anyone (which I doubt it) likes this kind of music and wants to pick each others brains about some of these bands or bands like them PM me.

Masher

Masher

Junior Audioholic
1. Badfinger - Straight Up - The best album that most have never heard.
2. Pink Floyd - Obscured by Clouds - Takes off where Echoes ends and preludes to DSotM.
3. Queen - Sheer Heart Attack & A Day at the Races - They bookend A Night at the Opera, and are just as good.
4. David Bowie - Diamond Dogs Simply his best ever album
5. Pretty Things - Parachute - Most have never heard this album and it is their best.
6. The Byrds - Sweetheart of the Rodeo - a blockbuster album
7. Oasis - Definately Maybe? - One of the best debut albums ever.
8. R.EM. - Life's Rich Pageant - IMO, it is their best album, not too popular but encapsulates their abilities the best.
9. Rush - Fly by Night & 2112 - 2112 is stellar. Fly by Night has great tunes such as Anthem, By-Tor and the Snowdog and In the End.
10. The Cult - Love - One of the Best 3 albums of the 80's.

H

Hawkeye

Full Audioholic
1. Badfinger - Straight Up - The best album that most have never heard.
I was recently thinking how much i liked the Badfinger "hits" of the early 70s so I picked up the Very Best of Badfinger. The hits were still fresh and sounded great but I was really impressed with all the songs I hadn't heard before. Really like "Name of the Game." I was also surprised they originally had done "Without You" - I always assumed it was Nillson. An interesting version, I like it. I'll take a look at "Straight Up" and also "Wish You Were Here" which I hear is another great Badfinger album.

J

Joe Schmoe

Audioholic Ninja
My favorite Rush album was Caress of Steel, which came in-between Fly By Night and 2112. My favorite Queen was Queen II, especially "The Fairy Feller's Master Stroke". I agree with all of your other choices except Oasis, who I never liked at all.

Masher

Masher

Junior Audioholic
I was recently thinking how much i liked the Badfinger "hits" of the early 70s so I picked up the Very Best of Badfinger. The hits were still fresh and sounded great but I was really impressed with all the songs I hadn't heard before. Really like "Name of the Game." I was also surprised they originally had done "Without You" - I always assumed it was Nillson. An interesting version, I like it. I'll take a look at "Straight Up" and also "Wish You Were Here" which I hear is another great Badfinger album.
No Dice and Straight Up are awesome. I do not care for Wish You Were Here that much. It's missing that "something". You cannot explain it, but you know it is missing something.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis