The end of the Wife Acceptance Factor! Automated Drop Down Speakers

Craig Gordon

Craig Gordon

Junior Audioholic
Yeah, she said she was yelling and I didn't hear...go figure...lol.
I have developed my ability to hear without listening to such a high degree that I can actually repeat what my wife said word for word when she angrily asks me to repeat it. Yet, I still have no real idea what she said. Now that's real "golden ears".

Just kidding. Though I don't think I will let her read that. But seriously, for those late nights when she is sleeping, I break out the headphones.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
I could never share a living room with a wife and my audio equipment. Even if that meant a spare room with a meager 2 channel setup instead. I would always feel like I was imposing on such a neutral space unless she was into it as much as I. Here, I have room to where I could build a sizeable shed out back of about 24'x16' and that's where I'd be found. Chances are, the little woman would follow me out there too, and nobody would be living in the house. It's always been that way. I'd be competing for my own recliner, most likely.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
I could never share a living room with a wife and my audio equipment. ....
Well, I am lucky in a way. We both like most movies I like but I can only really enjoy movies with friends when she is out who don't mind my volume levels; she does and I hear it quickly. :D

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Well, I am lucky in a way. We both like most movies I like but I can only really enjoy movies with friends when she is out who don't mind my volume levels; she does and I hear it quickly. :D
When my ex was just here for 7 weeks staying in my home, she was actually parked on my sofa listening whenever I fired up the tunes and often at near reference level. It never occurred to me that she would have an opinion either way. I am more critical and yet she stated how clear it all sounded. I pinched myself, checking to be sure if I was still among the living.

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
I have developed my ability to hear without listening to such a high degree that I can actually repeat what my wife said word for word when she angrily asks me to repeat it. Yet, I still have no real idea what she said. Now that's real "golden ears".

Just kidding. Though I don't think I will let her read that. But seriously, for those late nights when she is sleeping, I break out the headphones.
LOL...I shouldn't be complaining and I guess I'm not really. I told her about how much my redo was going to cost (after we agreed to upgrade her car and buy some silly purse that cost way too much money) and I haven't heard a peep out of her on that financing of it.

As far as the playback...even I admit...80-83 SPL is pretty loud in other parts of the house because of that darn overlook opening.

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai

This reminded me of "Fortunately, the Milk" by Neil Gaiman.

Fortunately the Milk said:
Our mum had gone off to a conference. She was presenting a paper on lizards. Before she went, she reminded us of the important things that had to happen while she was away.

My dad was reading the paper. I do not think he pays a lot of attention to the world while he is reading his paper.

"Did you hear me?" asked my mum, who is suspicious. "What did I say?"

"Do not forget to take the kids to Orchestra Practice on Saturday; it's Violin on Wednesday night; you've frozen a dinner for each night you're away and labeled them; the spare house-key is with the Nicolsons; the plumber will be here on Monday morning and do not use or flush the upstairs toilet until he's been; feed the goldfish; you love us and you'll be back on Thursday," said my father.

I think my mum was surprised. "Yes, that's right," she said.

Craig Gordon

Craig Gordon

Junior Audioholic
Here is an updated video of my nearly complete automated drop down speakers

Craig Gordon

Craig Gordon

Junior Audioholic
And here is video of basically how it all works:

https://1drv.ms/v/s!Av3i5wnAumFGgodqmXuXHsufnx1GvQ

It ended up taking a lot more time than I originally envisioned. The ceiling also has 2 inch 6 pound rockwool absorbers with a 1 inch deadspace in between them and the ceiling. The bass is amazing in this room. The surround speakers are very open and detailed sounding. I will be removing the plantation shutters and putting in heavy Roman Shades to also help with the acoustics. See the original post for why I did it all this way. The room just sounds so great right now, but I will still be putting in more absorbers and covering the last two Atmos speakers eventually. Also here are some photos of the ceiling treatment:

house-6.jpg house.jpg house-3.jpg house-4.jpg house-7.jpg

Last edited:
DigitalDawn

DigitalDawn

Senior Audioholic
Very impressive.

Now that you went through all the work hiding the surrounds, I think it would be a good idea to tackle the large, black subs. There are a number of companies that make really nice in-wall subs that could disappear into cabinetry or your walls.

Craig Gordon

Craig Gordon

Junior Audioholic
Very impressive.

Now that you went through all the work hiding the surrounds, I think it would be a good idea to tackle the large, black subs. There are a number of companies that make really nice in-wall subs that could disappear into cabinetry or your walls.
I could, and I considered it, but Im very concerned about putting Subwoofers in walls. The resonance problems would be horrific. Perhaps I am not as knowledgeable on this subject, but I chose to not do that. If I could be convinced that the bass would not be compromised I would definitely consider it.

Montucky

Montucky

Full Audioholic
I could, and I considered it, but Im very concerned about putting Subwoofers in walls. The resonance problems would be horrific. Perhaps I am not as knowledgeable on this subject, but I chose to not do that. If I could be convinced that the bass would not be compromised I would definitely consider it.
I've pulled off in-wall subs with great results, BUT there are definitely compromises. I had no resonance issues, but you likely won't get the same output as with an equivalent stand alone sub. To me, the biggest downside is that you're stuck with the location, so you better have that thing super well planned out and your estimations correct, because you have to prewire, then place in the preconstruction box (which gives you your internal volume and port), and then once that dude's sheetrocked in, yeah, it's there for good. Hope you got it right! I did thankfully, but there's no "subwoofer crawl" going this route. Don't get me wrong, there are absolutely some great applications for going the in-wall sub route, but if I have my choice and the space for it, I want a stand-alone subwoofer most of the time.

Craig Gordon

Craig Gordon

Junior Audioholic
I've pulled off in-wall subs with great results, BUT there are definitely compromises. I had no resonance issues, but you likely won't get the same output as with an equivalent stand alone sub. To me, the biggest downside is that you're stuck with the location, so you better have that thing super well planned out and your estimations correct, because you have to prewire, then place in the preconstruction box (which gives you your internal volume and port), and then once that dude's sheetrocked in, yeah, it's there for good. Hope you got it right! I did thankfully, but there's no "subwoofer crawl" going this route. Don't get me wrong, there are absolutely some great applications for going the in-wall sub route, but if I have my choice and the space for it, I want a stand-alone subwoofer most of the time.
Agreed. And if you notice, my main speakers are in a cabinet! :eek: This is because I did have to make compromises and would definitely prefer the main speakers standing out in the open. However, the cabinets are 3/4 inch high quality maple veneer plywood internally braced with both inner sheets of 3/4 inch Baltic birch and 2X4 braces! Also, they are packed with both 6 pound rockwool and denim insulation. And the speakers are bolted to the foundation without touching the cabinets internally.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I like the drop down speakers as booby traps if you can drop them on people... :) Actually they let you use that space so it’s cool. Do you also rest your beers on them? :)
As far as WAF, don’t give in on the subs.... Leave them alone. :)

Craig Gordon

Craig Gordon

Junior Audioholic
@snakeeyes
Sometimes I like to swing on one to the point where I can actually transfer to another without touching the ground. If I am very careful, I can make several circuits around the room. Its great cardio.:)

Yeah, Im not budging on the subwoofers. I may paint them or at least powder coat the grills to make her happy.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
@snakeeyes
Sometimes I like to swing on one to the point where I can actually transfer to another without touching the ground. If I am very careful, I can make several circuits around the room. Its great cardio.:)

Yeah, Im not budging on the subwoofers. I may paint them or at least powder coat the grills to make her happy.

If you can have her work it so she drops you down a cold beer by lowering the speaker closest to you, then you know you have it good! :)

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
What are your main speakers and why aren't they KEF like the surrounds and Atmos speakers? I'm not being critical, just curious.

DigitalDawn

DigitalDawn

Senior Audioholic
Take a look at Triad. Triad is a Portland-based company that hand builds speakers in just about every configuration you can imagine. They will even color match the speakers and grills to match the paint on your walls.

Triad has In-Wall and angled InCeiling speakers and subwoofers that work amazingly well for spaces in which you have no floor space, or when you wish to hide the speakers from view. The company has speakers in many different price ranges, starting at $400 per speaker.

Take a look at Triad IW subs. We install them all the time and they are great subs with prodigious output for their size/form factor.

If you are willing to write a short review we'll give you a super discounted price.

https://www.triadspeakers.com/products/subwoofwer/iw-bronze4-slimsub/

https://www.triadspeakers.com/products/subwoofwer/iw-bronze6-sub/

https://www.triadspeakers.com/products/subwoofwer/iw-silver15-sub/

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis