Toobs are for Boobs

ATLAudio

ATLAudio

Senior Audioholic
I've never understood the fascination with tube amps for playback. I've heard many of them, and I simply never hear anything odd or unusual, or most of all, preferential. In my experience, with the exception of hot cheap garbage, the vast majority of amps (tube and solid state) are sonically transparent, unless over driven.

I know someone who's determined to buy one, and told me that he only reads positive testimonials, and I can't dispute that. I just wonder why the fascination...

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
So, like an expensive lava lamp?
I think some amps even have LEDs to accentuate the look. They do have a sort of steam punk thing going on. Maybe not as cool as a lava lamp, tho....

I'm just generally mystified with the whole tube thing, and not just for amps but phono stages and pre-amps in general.....thus my subscribing to the thread :)

ps Originally thot thread was about tv....the old boob toob thing.

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
Tube amplifiers don't clip harshly like solid state designs... In the pro-audio music field guitar tube amplifiers are still preferred over solid state.. Biggest advantage of a tube amplifier is that it is a great room warmer.. :confused:

Just my $0.02... ;)

ATLAudio

ATLAudio

Senior Audioholic
Tube amplifiers don't clip harshly like solid state designs... In the pro-audio music field guitar tube amplifiers are still preferred over solid state.. Biggest advantage of a tube amplifier is that it is a great room warmer.. :confused:

Just my $0.02... ;)
I totally get their role in production, it's reproduction that's baffling.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
tube amps can be 'tuned' to ones sonic preference via 'tube rolling'. Some folks do prefer their 'euphoric' distortion, mid-range warmth, call it what ever you want.

ATLAudio

ATLAudio

Senior Audioholic
tube amps can be 'tuned' to ones sonic preference via 'tube rolling'. Some folks do prefer their 'euphoric' distortion, mid-range warmth, call it what ever you want.
Never heard of that one?! I've yet to see a tube amp bench mark that showed audible distortion or mid range coloration different from a SS.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Is there a group of "motor heads" that are taking fuel-injected cars and retrofitting them with "good ole" carburetors or is it just audio that is prone to this kind of lunacy? How about condensers and distributors?!

ATLAudio

ATLAudio

Senior Audioholic
I had thought for a while that there was bleed over from pro audio into home audio.

"Since Clapton uses a tube amp on stage, I'll do the same at home for playback!"

Holding aside that Clapton is deliberately over-driving his amps, which are better designed for that use, (you aren't or shouldn't be) and you should want to hear Clapton, as recorded, who already made the decision for how much distortion and coloration was needed on his hit albums.

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Field Marshall
Tubes for the DIY'er pursuing it as a hobby? Some of us like to build stuff.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis