What New Stuff Have You Bought? If You Care To Share Thead! :)

M

Mark of Cenla

Full Audioholic

I got a pair of these for $187 for the pair, and they sound quite good to me.

And I bought one of these to stock up on disc players.

Peace and goodwill.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I bought this last night at Home Depot to help me mount my 47 Visio to the wall for my 2nd system to replace an almost 20yr 32" Toshiba CRT TV. I used the knuckle rap test before buying the stud finder and just for shits-n-giggles, I used the finder to locate the studs. I was spot on with my rap test but this gives me peace of mind. :)

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
So kids need an amp for the UMC-200 and all the "spare" ones I have laying around are 2ch only and they don't have room for multiples. Couldn't find any good inexpensive used ones, so we added this to the order. BasX A500

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Finally time to replace the venerable old router. This one is huge - nearly twice the size of my old one.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Put some little flags at the tops of the antennae, it's the new updated version of the MLB World Series Trophy.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
@j_garcia @BoredSysAdmin I'll hold you both responsible if I cut off something....damn this is a sharp knife. Thanks for the inspiration! Did you guys happen to get the Kyocera sharpener or are planning to send it in if/when needed?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
@j_garcia @BoredSysAdmin I'll hold you both responsible if I cut off something....damn this is a sharp knife. Thanks for the inspiration! Did you guys happen to get the Kyocera sharpener or are planning to send it in if/when needed?
Sur La Table offers free sharpening; just bring it in. It is right up the street from work for me. I haven't had to sharpen my other forged one at all so far; it stays extremely sharp.

It's like blades on a Gillette razor, but with router antennae.
OK, this thing is giant, like twice the size of my old one. But DAMN the coverage is good. Before I would get 50% signal 3 floors down in my garage and now I get 100%.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I didn't really thought of getting ceramic knife sharpner, but I did read some reviews on amazon and battery based sharper gets pretty bad reviews.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Traditional sharpening stones aren't very useful with ceramic knives, they're about the same hardness. Ceramics are diamond cutting territory. I worked in machining technical ceramics for about 5 years, and the materials development engineers came up with a transformation-toughened zirconium (TTZ) which we made into knife blades for testing. Diamond grinding wheels all the way.

On knife sharpening, one of my cousins is into it pretty heavy. Wicked Edge is the company he got all his stuff from, I altered the "machine" to make it a lot better.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I think most people consider the ceramic knives "disposable". They stay sharp for a long time. I have some that are over 5 years old that still cut very easily. However, as a result of this thread, I just inspected them closely and can see where the micro-edges have been chipped over the years, so they definitely are not cutting as well as they used to!. The biggest problem with ceramic is it is brittle. I imagine your knife came with a list of "don't do"'s (like don't put in dishwasher where the water jets may cause them to rattle against hard objects like other knives). Fortunately, they are very easy to clean since they are smooth and non-porous!

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Sur La Table offers free sharpening; just bring it in. It is right up the street from work for me. I haven't had to sharpen my other forged one at all so far; it stays extremely sharp.

Doubt that would be worth the four hour round trip to get to one :) but that would beat sending it in with the $10 fee to Kyocera. You have a real forged knife? When I was doing research it seems that few commercial knives are really forged these days, seems they're mostly stamped....

We'll see, there was a lightning deal on the Kyocera electric sharpener so I ordered it. I plan to get a few more of these knives even tho I've already sliced into a finger trying to be fancy :)

@BoredSysAdmin the negative reviews of the unit sounded like, to me, from those who expected things they didn't buy, so many dumb reviews on Amazon....

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Doubt that would be worth the four hour round trip to get to one :) but that would beat sending it in with the $10 fee to Kyocera. You have a real forged knife? When I was doing research it seems that few commercial knives are really forged these days, seems they're mostly stamped....

We'll see, there was a lightning deal on the Kyocera electric sharpener so I ordered it. I plan to get a few more of these knives even tho I've already sliced into a finger trying to be fancy :)

@BoredSysAdmin the negative reviews of the unit sounded like, to me, from those who expected things they didn't buy, so many dumb reviews on Amazon....
My previous Miyabi Morimoto and my new Miyabi are hand forged, which is why the sale price of $99 was ridiculous and I got it for 10% off that. I prefer the blade on my Morimoto, but I much prefer the handle on the new one.

Darenwh

Darenwh

Audioholic
Picked up a new to me Subwoofer over the weekend. JBL HTPS400, at an estate sale, $100. Sub is like new other than the front grill missing. Other than that nothing new for me beyond some movies over the holidays. Current system now consists of Phase Technologies Velocity V-10 speakers with the new sub. Likely getting rid of the old Phase Tech HV-1000 subwoofer. It has performed OK but this is a big upgrade on the sub side for me.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
From what I could learn from Google about that sub, it's quite a good score at that price!

Congratulations!

Darenwh

Darenwh

Audioholic
Thanks, seems to be much more sub than I had before and at a smaller footprint.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
I just got this at my front door today. Funniest part being, I have an enormous cat. I say "I have" but it wasn't my cat. Someone left it here and I just kept feeding it and it doesn't know it's adopted. Anyway, when I pulled up, it looked funny with the box at my door and the cat seemingly guarding it.

Now the box is empty but he ain't taking any chances.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Cats and boxes.....more sub pics! :) Get the flatpack yet?
Going to build this cab without the flat pack. The luxury was nice on the Tempest build, but I have a nice unisaw and router/table. This way I can try both ported and sealed. Most of the work is in the finish, anyway. Also, I can use solid rounded corners so that they don't look so. . . . cubical.

ETA: Also got some speakon connectors and RCA to XLR adapters for the amp situation.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis