What New Stuff Have You Bought? If You Care To Share Thead! :)

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
So kids need an amp for the UMC-200 and all the "spare" ones I have laying around are 2ch only and they don't have room for multiples. Couldn't find any good inexpensive used ones, so we added this to the order. BasX A500

How do you like the BasX A500? I am putting an amp on my shopping list for later. Emotiva has made my list.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Going to build this cab without the flat pack. The luxury was nice on the Tempest build, but I have a nice unisaw and router/table. This way I can try both ported and sealed. Most of the work is in the finish, anyway. Also, I can use solid rounded corners so that they don't look so. . . . cubical.

ETA: Also got some speakon connectors and RCA to XLR adapters for the amp situation.
Cool. Unisaw, very nice :)

Sealed first or ported? I like a buncha sealed....

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Cool. Unisaw, very nice :)

Sealed first or ported? I like a buncha sealed....
Sealed first. It uses less materials and somehow the physics I 'imagine' with such an arrangement appeals to me with the bass I am either looking for, or not trying to go beyond.

Something has occurred to me. It's daft, really, but with trying to understand why bass has done so well in here in the past is something odd, in an accidental sense. My listening area, it's adjacent hallway and the way it loops around, is in effect, a giant ported subwoofer enclosure. Tunable by opening and closing doors to other rooms, opening doors/ combined with a window or two, perhaps. A 1800 cu ft ported sub. :D

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Sealed first. It uses less materials and somehow the physics I 'imagine' with such an arrangement appeals to me with the bass I am either looking for, or not trying to go beyond.

Something has occurred to me. It's daft, really, but with trying to understand why bass has done so well in here in the past is something odd, in an accidental sense. My listening area, it's adjacent hallway and the way it loops around, is in effect, a giant ported subwoofer enclosure. Tunable by opening and closing doors to other rooms, opening doors/ combined with a window or two, perhaps. A 1800 cu ft ported sub. :D
Hey if you can do some IB subs, could be worse things....but if you have good bass response now sometimes that's a good thing to leave alone :)

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Hey if you can do some IB subs, could be worse things....but if you have good bass response now sometimes that's a good thing to leave alone :)
True enough. Which is why I am taking baby steps with one sub at a time. Who knows, set this thing behind a sofa somewhere for some stealth bass that just enhances things without really noticing why, might be something that ends up being cool.

So far, the biggest difference is that between well (or the actual source) recorded and that which is not so. Well recorded, the bass is superb.

Ultimately, I am finding that my biggest issue is going to be with quality source material, which you folks pointed out very early on.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Going to build this cab without the flat pack. The luxury was nice on the Tempest build, but I have a nice unisaw and router/table. This way I can try both ported and sealed. Most of the work is in the finish, anyway. Also, I can use solid rounded corners so that they don't look so. . . . cubical.

ETA: Also got some speakon connectors and RCA to XLR adapters for the amp situation.
When do you start taking orders for cabinet builds? :D

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
How do you like the BasX A500? I am putting an amp on my shopping list for later. Emotiva has made my list.
Unfortunately, it hasn't shipped yet :confused: I'll let you know. I previously had an XPA-3 Gen1 and currently have an XPA-5 Gen 2 and very happy with them.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
When do you start taking orders for cabinet builds? :D
lol. . . I'm really not fond of MDF so that industry has no worries from me. MDF, other than it's reputation for being dimensionally stable, makes no structural sense to me whatsoever. That, and I still have flashbacks to a time when my ex took the credit card and filled my living area with sauder furniture. Little by little, I got to watch it first sag, then fall apart. I think there are still some of the funky little allen wrenches in the junk drawer. Not that it's not 'ok' for speaker cabinets, but, still kind of not fun to build with being it doesn't hold fasteners worth a damn.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Doesn't MDF also have sound damping qualities where some plywood might resonate?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Doesn't MDF also have sound damping qualities where some plywood might resonate?
You don't use that plywood then....if sufficiently thick and void-free ply is fine. Will stand up to abuse better than mdf, too (that's why professional speaker cabinets don't use mdf, not only is it too heavy, it can't take the abuse).

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I bought this between Christmas and New Years to mount the 47" Vizio that was in my main system in the family room. This was so easy to set up and the price was under $50 Cdn shipped.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I just bought this from Amazon.. Yeah I know all the noise about the p?ss poor audio quality of cassettes but I wanted to kick the tires on my Yammy cassette deck which is still in use. I just wannna play :) , nothing more.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I just bought this from Amazon.. Yeah I know all the noise about the p?ss poor audio quality of cassettes but I wanted to kick the tires on my Yammy cassette deck which is still in use. I just wannna play :) , nothing more.

Nostalgia?

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Cassette tapes! My finger was shaking over the "place your bid" button on an NAD 6300 tape deck yesterday. It's the one I wished I could afford back in 1987. Got a 6340 instead, and there's one of those on ebay too. Easier to resist that one, the top-end 3 motor one...not so much. Glad someone else got it.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord

When I was in college, one of my friends was basically "The Radio Nazi"! He would show up to parties or even informal gatherings with his jacket pockets full of tapes! "Hey, play this".

Even better, he also did a show on the college radio station for several years, and he ended up getting the Midnight-to-2AM on Saturday night time slot for a couple years too. That is prime-time broadcasting for a college station in a party town.

There, he played only records, mostly punk rock. Hahaha, every couple weeks one of us would call him up from the party and tell him how bad his music sucked and how bad he was performing at his job! We would keep it going until he started to get mad, then laugh at him and tell him we couldn't believe that he didn't realize it was us just messing with him, then make a request for some "good music".

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
A sheet of 3/4" MDF, IIRC, weighs about 90-95 lbs. Birch ply, or cabinet ply typically weighs around 70 lbs. so, 20 or so lbs difference in density over a whole sheet or perhaps 20% more dense. It may make a difference in lightly damped cabinets but if it was that critical, the difference could probably be mitigated by adjusting the damping factor.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
A sheet of 3/4" MDF, IIRC, weighs about 90-95 lbs. Birch ply, or cabinet ply typically weighs around 70 lbs. so, 20 or so lbs difference in density over a whole sheet or perhaps 20% more dense. It may make a difference in lightly damped cabinets but if it was that critical, the difference could probably be mitigated by adjusting the damping factor.
Curious, what do you mean by lightly damped cabinets?

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Curious, what do you mean by lightly damped cabinets?
I've noticed a lot of different damping procedures. Some cabinets packed, some, not so much. Some with building insulation, some with foam, some with poly. Seems as if the damping quality of the substrate density was an issue, it can't be by much, and should be easy enough to just adjust the insulation.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis