Really Boring Stuff Only III: Resurrection

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
True it is.

Unfortunately, there's a great deal of difference in being passionate about politics and publicly stating that a group of people aren't "real" Americans, should have their constitutional rights revoked, etc. More to the point, it wasn't his first, second, or even third strike on these forums.
Unfortunately some folks can't handle disagreement well. I was okay with the ban, but I think it was lifted to drive some traffic.

Dan

Dan

Audioholic Chief
That thread was getting very out of hand. A few of us tried to redirect it but it took on a life of its own. I'll leave it to the moderators, but perhaps better to shut down an explosive thread earlier than get a long timer banned after he inserts The second foot his mouth?

In other news of the boring variety I have the week off to rest and further recover and do not much but work on a talk for the fall and a revise a paper I've submitted for publication. My steroid taper is finally working and I'm getting a little vitamin D from Mr Sun. Won't drink until I'm off steroids for good though.

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
Unfortunately, there's a great deal of difference in being passionate about politics and publicly stating that a group of people aren't "real" Americans, should have their constitutional rights revoked, etc. More to the point, it wasn't his first, second, or even third strike on these forums.
I did not know that...
Would you ban Doug for a few weeks.... or at least until he stops wearing skinny jeans?

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Last night before we head back tomorrow. House should be hot as balls and humid to boot. Ah-well, it was fun while it lasted.

Will be good to get back to get back to all my toys. I'm sure they're feeling neglected. :D

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Last night before we head back tomorrow. House should be hot as balls and humid to boot. Ah-well, it was fun while it lasted.

Will be good to get back to get back to all my toys. I'm sure they're feeling neglected. :D
It's a sign of getting old when you enjoy being at home better than on vacation.

Last week was damned hot & humid in Maryland, and probably just about everywhere else. Not so bad since Saturday, but tomorrow it starts up again.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
In other news of the boring variety I have the week off to rest and further recover and do not much but work on a talk for the fall and a revise a paper I've submitted for publication. My steroid taper is finally working and I'm getting a little vitamin D from Mr Sun. Won't drink until I'm off steroids for good though.
For what its worth, over the weekend I had my first beer in a good while. In the early evening when I'm on that +12 hours-after-prednisone nose dive, it was a genuine lift to the spirits. I may have to do that again.

Mark – If you're reading this, have one for yourself too :).

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
For what its worth, over the weekend I had my first beer in a good while. In the early evening when I'm on that +12 hours-after-prednisone nose dive, it was a genuine lift to the spirits. I may have to do that again.
I recently discovered alcohol may be bad for your health and I cut mine way back.

My drinking of whisky has been out of control since I first injured my Achilles's back in November. I had my annual exam 2 weeks ago and my labs were jacked up. I think not being able to train as I normally do, not eating like I normally do and drinking 4x the amount of normal all plays into what I saw. I didn't believe the validity of the test and went and had them redone only to find they were true.

I didn't quit drinking but I have paused it and abstained the past 2 weeks, started back on my normal diet and I can now lift weights and do light cardio again so I have been for 2 weeks.

I won't do another full blood panel for 2.5 more months as most things change slowly but my fasting glucose has come down from 138 avg to 114 avg already.

I am an "all or nothing" personality so I need to work on that but my plan is to get everything back on track and then just drink a glass of wine with dinner and stop the 2-4 Old Fashion's or neat whisky's per night.

Who would have thunked alcohol was bad for you? They should put a warning label on it or something....:D

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
We all get older, stiffer & more brittle, and recover slower than when we were young. James Brown had a song about that back in the 60s, Money Won't Change You (But Time Will Take You On)
I won't do another full blood panel for 2.5 more months as most things change slowly but my fasting glucose has come down from 138 avg to 114 avg already.
Be glad you're still young enough for that :).
Who would have thunked alcohol was bad for you? They should put a warning label on it or something....:D
Warning – Alcohol makes your Achilles tendon stiff & brittle.

Last edited:
Dan

Dan

Audioholic Chief
Steroids and alcohol also a bad combination. Both irritate the stomach and cause ulcers. Steroids impair healing. It made the decision to cut out booze until I'm steroid free easy but unwelcome as I could sure use a drink to help sleep and deal with episodes of roid rage. Glad to see the sugars are down. You really don't want to be a diabetic.

Getting older sucks but it beats the alternative at least usually.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Steroids and alcohol also a bad combination. Both irritate the stomach and cause ulcers. Steroids impair healing.
Just to be perfectly clear, I completely agree with Dan. I'm not going to make beer, much less anything stronger, a daily thing. Nor do I recommend on the internet that others do it while taking such a medication.

I had that beer (Sam Adams Boston Lager, 12 oz, 5% alcohol) with food, a good 12 hours after taking an oral dose of 30 mg prednisone. I know from repeated personal experience at that dose and higher, that a large range of prednisone side effects (but certainly not all it's effects), are largely over by about 7 or 8 hours after I take it in the morning.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I recently discovered alcohol may be bad for your health and I cut mine way back.

My drinking of whisky has been out of control since I first injured my Achilles's back in November. I had my annual exam 2 weeks ago and my labs were jacked up. I think not being able to train as I normally do, not eating like I normally do and drinking 4x the amount of normal all plays into what I saw. I didn't believe the validity of the test and went and had them redone only to find they were true.

I didn't quit drinking but I have paused it and abstained the past 2 weeks, started back on my normal diet and I can now lift weights and do light cardio again so I have been for 2 weeks.

I am an "all or nothing" personality so I need to work on that but my plan is to get everything back on track and then just drink a glass of wine with dinner and stop the 2-4 Old Fashion's or neat whisky's per night.

I've cut back a lot too, but a friend of mine recently unloaded a free bottle of 15 year scotch so I've had to give the occasional sip. I basically stopped drinking after I started running regularly.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I've cut back a lot too, but a friend of mine recently unloaded a free bottle of 15 year scotch so I've had to give the occasional sip. I basically stopped drinking after I started running regularly.
So that's why your posts here have been so clear headed lately :).

Speaking of running, I saw some of the Olympic T&F trials on TV. What in the world was going on with Galen Rupp in the 5000 meters? He ran out to a large and unsustainable lead with about 800-1000 meters to go, and then faded quickly. I know he already qualified in the 10k and marathon, but why run such a stupid race in the 5k final? The clowns on TV never attempted to explain it.

Last edited:
fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Finally home. San Juan aeropuerto can go suck a big one. Not a fan of that place coming or going. Time to get the house cool and clean all the dead bugs out. Also need to figure out the mail situation since things are reading delivered, but USPS has a vacation hold. Hopefully that just means they'll deliver tomorrow.

@Adam DHL tracking says they delivered to a neighbor of mine, got him/her to sign for it and left the package with them. Too bad I don't know and have never met this neighbor. Bleeping DHL just leaves packages with random people if you are not home?!?!?!?! Glad I paid extra for that sh!t.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
So that's why your posts here have been so clear headed lately :).

Speaking of running, I saw some of the Olympic T&F trials on TV. What in the world was going on with Galen Rupp in the 5000 meters? He ran out to a large and unsustainable lead with about 800-1000 meters to go, and then faded quickly. I know he already qualified in the 10k and marathon, but why run such a stupid race in the 5k final? The clowns on TV never attempted to explain it.
He just kicked too early. He's probably not quite as fast in 5k anyway. He's been focused on marathon training.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
He just kicked too early.
I had thought Rupp is far too experienced and well coached to make that kind of rookie mistake. No other runner in the 5k final responded when he kicked so early.
He's probably not quite as fast in 5k anyway. He's been focused on marathon training.
I agree, but if he is focused on training for longer races, why did he think he needed a speed work out? I can't understand it.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis