fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Fuzz I agree 100%. Tom V. is a pleasure to chat with. He is so very knowledgeable and quite helpful. That is correct that I got a great deal on both the B-stock S1500 and the anti-mode 8033 S II. Lets just say so good I could NOT turn it down.
Yea, they deal they cut on the antimode products is pretty good. The antimode's do a pretty good job at equalization as well.

As far as measuring my in-room frequency response, I plan to slightly go a different route. That is, I am looking at both the Dayton Omnimic and the XTZ Room Analyzer Pro. However, there is a computer glitch for anyone running a Windows 8 machine. Right now I am running Windows 10 and there is very little info on how the Omnimic runs on it. Looking into that further as time allows.
Omnimic should be fine, I think. I believe I read over at PETT that some guys were using it with 10 without issue. You may need to run a compatibility check and run as an admin though.

The Analyzer Pro is only $71 more and has my attention. Got to read up on it some more before pulling the trigger. Thinking about ordering a miniDSP as well. Trying to find out if the mic that comes w/the anti-mode 8033 S II will work with the miniDSP. Do you happen to know? If not, then I will get around to ordering a CSL Umik 1. Right now, there is an extended delay on those mics.
XTZ is compatible with Dirac Live, but that is an additional cost.

Omnimic can, I believe be used with miniDSP to generate custom biquads that can be uploaded. However, it's just doing the same thing as REW and the Umik, except you're paying $200 more than you have to. IMO.

Over time, I plan to learn more about REW. That is, learn how to integrate it with the miniDSP. Of course, that is later down the road. Got plenty to do before then. My S1500 and the anti-mode will be here tomorrow or Friday. Got to get ready as space comes in short supply. I am literally up to my eye-balls with speakers.....LOL!!!!

Cheers,

Phil
Using Omnimic with miniDSP is similar enough to using REW with a Umik, IMO, that it's not worth $200 more than just purchasing the Umik and spending a little time getting everything set up. A USB mic is extremely easy to set up more often than not and there is plenty of user support for REW, along with a big manual. YMMV, but I think if you're taking the time to spend all this money, go through the time and trouble to set up the sub with proper placement, take measurements, and do some custom equilazation that saving a couple minutes (or maybe no minutes) and spending an extra $200 is a waste, especially if you plan on learning REW anyways.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Yea, they deal they cut on the antimode products is pretty good. The antimode's do a pretty good job at equalization as well.

Omnimic should be fine, I think. I believe I read over at PETT that some guys were using it with 10 without issue. You may need to run a compatibility check and run as an admin though.

XTZ is compatible with Dirac Live, but that is an additional cost.

Omnimic can, I believe be used with miniDSP to generate custom biquads that can be uploaded. However, it's just doing the same thing as REW and the Umik, except you're paying $200 more than you have to. IMO.

Using Omnimic with miniDSP is similar enough to using REW with a Umik, IMO, that it's not worth $200 more than just purchasing the Umik and spending a little time getting everything set up. A USB mic is extremely easy to set up more often than not and there is plenty of user support for REW, along with a big manual. YMMV, but I think if you're taking the time to spend all this money, go through the time and trouble to set up the sub with proper placement, take measurements, and do some custom equilazation that saving a couple minutes (or maybe no minutes) and spending an extra $200 is a waste, especially if you plan on learning REW anyways.
Thanks Fuzz for the info. Right now I have the S1500 where I had the ULS-15 MK2 sub. That way, I can get an idea of how each sounds. Done level matching and run audyssey and it sounds real good. Went back in and double checked the levels with my rad shack spl meter. Bumped things up just a bit and I am amazed on just how good it sounds.

This coming week I plan to get my towers up and running and integrate both the S1500 and the ULS-15 MK2. Got to move things around and get everything dialed in just right. Later, I will use the anti-mode as there is no hurry. Do want to get a second tri-pod though. That is, one for the Audyssey mic and the other for my rad shack spl meter. Just makes things a whole lot easier. Thanks for the info once again.

Cheers,

Phil

Last edited:
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Audyssey should not be turned on when comparing subs. The only way to compare these subs is to A/B them with placement and settings to minimize FR variation.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Audyssey should not be turned on when comparing subs. The only way to compare these subs is to A/B them with placement and settings to minimize FR variation.
Yeah, I know. There was nothing scientific with my initial impressions. But, I did level match and place in the exact same place as the ULS-15 MK2. I ran Audyssey Multi EQ XT on both then level matched again just to make sure. Heard enough to know I much preferred the PSA S1500. That is why my Hsu ULS-15 Mk2 is for sale. I do like the finish on the ULS-15 MK2 more. But, I have no WAF to deal with anymore. So, no worries on that one.

Cheers,

Phil

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
Yeah, I know. There was nothing scientific with my initial impressions. But, I did level match and place in the exact same place as the ULS-15 MK2. I ran Audyssey Multi EQ XT on both then level matched again just to make sure. Heard enough to know I much preferred the PSA S1500. That is why my Hsu ULS-15 Mk2 is for sale. I do like the finish on the ULS-15 MK2 more. But, I have no WAF to deal with anymore. So, no worries on that one.

Cheers,

Phil

Wow...congrats Phil..selling the Hsu because you prefer the S1500. Really to bad because now you must go through the trouble of finding the ULS a new home. PSA would not have cost you a dime to return if things were reversed. Btw...went through a similar process comparing the SB13U and XS30 se...I also preferred the PSA sub....go figure.

Take care my friend...twisters tryouts and filp flops....nice to see the same cast of characters still at it....:D.

Re,

Bill

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Wow...congrats Phil..selling the Hsu because you prefer the S1500. Really to bad because now you must go through the trouble of finding the ULS a new home. PSA would not have cost you a dime to return if things were reversed. Btw...went through a similar process comparing the SB13U and XS30 se...I also preferred the PSA sub....go figure.

Take care my friend...twisters tryouts and filp flops....nice to see the same cast of characters still at it....:D.

Re,

Bill
Thanks Bill. Just got the S1500 today. I really do like it that much. So, that means I will have to have another one OR two.....LOL!!!! Shouldn't have too much trouble selling the Hsu. It really is a great sub. Since, it was a B-stock I can't send it back. I will have to take a hit on it, but I am sure someone will want it. If not, then I will have (3) 15" subs....LOL!!!!

Yeah, Alex is still at it. But, what he doesn't know is that I much prefer to play strip poker as long as I am the one who loses.....LOL!!!!!!;);););) Besides, twister is way over rated....LOL!!!!

Cheers,

Phil

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
Well just sold my PSA to local gent...He certainly got a great deal on my sub...he'll be coming from a sb2000...lol. Talk about next level for him...but I may come to regret this decision.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Well just sold my PSA to local gent...He certainly got a great deal on my sub...he'll be coming from a sb2000...lol. Talk about next level for him...but I may come to regret this decision.
Wow! That was fast...LOL!!! Good for you Bill. Maybe I can get my Hsu sub sold as well. BTW, just sent you a PM over at AVS. Got to get to bed as I have a long one tomorrow. Have a good night. Will get back to you.

Cheers,

Phil

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I may come to regret this decision.
I'm already there. I'm glad to have met that sub.

I was so sold on your sub that I asked TLS for an alignment for a similar dual opposed arrangement. I needed a port though. The nice thing though is that based on my low spl requirements: my vent velocity would be so low that I can get away with a small short tube instead of big complicated slot, further reducing size. I just need to buy the drivers ... and then build it ... one day. It won't be long before you get another. Where you movin' to? Hopefully west.

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
I'm already there. I'm glad to have met that sub.

I was so sold on your sub that I asked TLS for an alignment for a similar dual opposed arrangement. I needed a port though. The nice thing though is that based on my low spl requirements: my vent velocity would be so low that I can get away with a small short tube instead of big complicated slot, further reducing size. I just need to buy the drivers ... and then build it ... one day. It won't be long before you get another. Where you movin' to? Hopefully west.
We weighed our options and decided be to become mortgage free by moving a few minutes north and slightly downsizing our home. Good luck on that build I know your handy or better yet...get your nephew to build ya the cabinet...he does really nice work. Saw his new build...very nice...wish I had the time for DIY.

Ps: Alex...you have a open invite to my home when your in the GTA...just drop me a PM. I might not post much anymore but I visit from time to time.

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
Billy!

Better watch out...Alex will show up diving a short bus with the boring thread crew all aboard!!!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
We weighed our options and decided be to become mortgage free by moving a few minutes north and slightly downsizing our home. Good luck on that build I know your handy or better yet...get your nephew to build ya the cabinet...he does really nice work. Saw his new build...very nice...wish I had the time for DIY.

Ps: Alex...you have a open invite to my home when your in the GTA...just drop me a PM. I might not post much anymore but I visit from time to time.
I just looked and I still have your number. Swing by RI for just the chowder and hang around to get a load of Dennis Murphy mania. Just got done playing around with room correction too. I don't have the room or the need for any 'more' in any speaker metric but Sean's speakers would be my next step up the DM food chain. Did you step up to the RAALs in your mains as well? You said you wouldn't but I don't know ...

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I just looked and I still have your number. Swing by RI for just the chowder and hang around to get a load of Dennis Murphy mania. Just got done playing around with room correction too. I don't have the room or the need for any 'more' in any speaker metric but Sean's speakers would be my next step up the DM food chain. Did you step up to the RAALs in your mains as well? You said you wouldn't but I don't know ...
RAAL's fo lyfe

Now I just need a pair with those cheaper OEM RAAL's to compare to the 70-10's and 70-20's

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Phil...you've got it bad again! :-D

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
That is correct I really do have it bad again....LOL!!!! But, hey I am enjoying the ride...LOL!!!! Feels so good to be back! :D:D:D:D

Cheers,

Phil

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General

Cheers,

Phil
I really don't understand those type subwoofer listening comparisons, what are you listening for? Subs do only one thing, they produce low frequencies, logic say's they will be pretty much sound the same within the limited frequency range that subwoofers operate within.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I really don't understand those type subwoofer listening comparisons, what are you listening for? Subs do only one thing, they produce low frequencies, logic say's they will be pretty much sound the same within the limited frequency range that subwoofers operate within.
At that point logic isn't taking account all the different factors that go into sound reproduction. Small room acoustics aside, the subs can/will differ in extension, linearity, distortion, impulse response, and if you're like me max SPL, FR response, compression, distortion, and impulse response at reference level+ SPL's.

Then small room acoustics come into play, getting positioning right, making sure you're not sitting in a null or a peak, and all the other things in room that will contribute to the sound of the sub at those frequencies.

A more practical example might be between two of my sealed subs. One with an 18" LMS Ultra and one with an 18" Mach 5 UXL. At reasonable SPL's they both measure very similarly in terms of all of the above metrics and yet have two very distinct sounds to them when playing the same Audyssey level match tone or REW generated pink noise. This is why it is so important to have a listen to different gear whenever possible. Learn what you like, see how what you like measures, and then you can use those measurements to other stuff that you might like.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis