Yamaha RX-V2700 & Windows Media Connect

B

Bill NNJ

Audiophyte
I just purchased the Rx-V2700 and so far so good. I was particularly interested in hard wiring it to my home computer network to stream digitized CD's from a server. I did this and it works, however, the on-screen interface seems a bit buggy and sluggish. I would be very interested in messaging those with similar problems and see if there is a fix.

These ills are not big problems, but they are frustrating:

- OSD of songs, artists, albums, etc., does not stay on screen long (yes, I set it in the menu to stay on as long as possible)
- Some playlists or artists show no songs when selected. Does not happen all the time

I am using Windows Media Player 11 to rip songs to hard drive in lossless format. The workstation it is on is a Windows XP Pro x64 workstation with a gig of RAM.

I have a large collection of CD's. Is it possible WMP can't handle large collections? Thanks for any input.

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
I have a 2700 and it is connected to the network. My experience seems to be exactly like yours. The interface is sluggish, very sluggish. There needs to be a better way to navigate large libraries of music. It is not the fault of WMP. There is no easy way to get to specific artists or albums. In my list of 380 artists, I cannot get past F in the alphabet before it goes blank and even getting there takes forever. The "shuffle" feature is rediculously inconvenient as it requires one to enter the setup menu to turn on and off, then it doesn't even work well! It plays the SAME list of songs every time!

Overall I am very happy with the receiver and the sound quality of the music played over the network is top notch, but Yamaha REALLY needs to issue a firmware update. The sloppy music interface is unnacceptable.

Last edited:
B

Bill NNJ

Audiophyte
"Overall I am very happy with the receiver and the sound quality of the music played over the network is top notch, but Yamaha REALLY needs to issue a firmware update. The sloppy music interface is unnacceptable."

Amen to that. How would they accomplish a firmware update? If it is Yamaha's firmware that's the problem, maybe we can email or call them and try to coax it along.

I've been waiting a long time to come up with the right solution to stream my CD collection to my main system. I really thought this was going to be it. So close. I can't imagine it would take much tweaking to make the interface more useful and user friendly.

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
I actually emailed Yamaha right after seeing this thread. I am awaiting a response. Firmware updates are done using the RS-232C port, appearently they cannot be done over the ethernet port.

Last edited:
B

Bill NNJ

Audiophyte
Emailing Yamaha

If you'd be so kind as to share the email addy you used, I'll ship one off myself right away! Many thanks.

Bill

lemonlib

Audiophyte
would any of you guys Please give a step by step instruction on how did you guys did it...my fingers are raw from hooking up this rxv2700...all day..and i am banging my head on how to hook it up to my pc...and how did you get windows media player to share...am interested in how you configured you dchp..in the yamaha ...

thanks in advance..
lemon

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
For me it was basically plug and play. It worked without any hassle and without messing with DHCP settings. If you haven't already, install Windows Media Player 11. It has sharing built in.

After you have installed that, you should be able to click the small arrow below "Library" and click "Media Sharing". Check the "Share My Music" box. My 2700 shows up as "Unknown Device". Select it and click allow.

lemonlib

Audiophyte
no luck...i have the sharing on ...and still no yamaha..or unidentified item to share with....any instruction to a newbie would be greatly appriciated...thanks for the clues so far...

thanks
Lemon

N

Nestor

Senior Audioholic
lemonlib said:
no luck...i have the sharing on ...and still no yamaha..or unidentified item to share with....any instruction to a newbie would be greatly appriciated...thanks for the clues so far...

thanks
Lemon
Do you have a home network and are you using a router? The router should automatically assign a i.p. address for the rx.

From there, check to see if you can access internet radio. If you can, then your network connection should be fine. The next step is to install Windows Media Connect and establish the link between pc and rx.

Hope that helps!

lemonlib

Audiophyte
i got the thing to work ...but i have an ugly grey cable running in the middle of the living room...i am now trying to get this thing to run on wireless...think of getting an accesspoint near the yamaha..and getting rid of 47 ft cable..hehehehe....God, that was a pain in the asss.....getting the cable long enough...

thanks guys so far..but if you have any clues for wireless ...HELP..

thanks
LEmon

lemonlib

Audiophyte
thanks nestor...i have now an ugly long 48 foot cable going to the computer in the other room...i was wondering if there is a way to do this wire less...like an access point or ad hoc...

thanks
Lemon

N

Nestor

Senior Audioholic
lemonlib said:
thanks nestor...i have now an ugly long 48 foot cable going to the computer in the other room...i was wondering if there is a way to do this wire less...like an access point or ad hoc...

thanks
Lemon
You can start with one of these:

Tiger Direct.ca

You'll need at least two wireless access points (natch), but if your router doesn't have wireless, save some money and replace it with a wireless router.

The cheapest route is two wireless routers, but there can be setup headaches if they aren't set up properly, as only want one acting as a real router and gateway.

lemonlib

Audiophyte
ok i do have a drant n wireless by net gear...today i just got a netgear access point..so far no luck in getting the two to communicate..

thanks
Lemon

lemonlib

Audiophyte
ok , I finally got this yammi rxv 2700 to work on a wireless network and all my music and net radio is working 100 percent

here is what i did....

hardware selection is important...i tried access points ...but that is not the way to go..

I have netgear equipment...i have a Draft N gigbit wireless server router. for my main hub.

1st thing i did was get an access point. well that did not do too well..

2nd thng i did was get a d link gaming adapter ...well that did not do too well either..it only brings internet to your specific machine but does not bring file sharing wich you need for getting your music to your yammi..

3 rd thing i did . (this works) .was to get a print server with a routing ...because what you want is to have to wireless net working with each other..so i got a wgps606 with 4 ports in the back..plug in my yammi into one of them..

set my yammie to dchp ON....

make sure your mac id..is in the main router...the wpgs606 has two macs. in it a physical one and a wireless one...make sure both is in the main wireless router...after that..it will work...

no more huge long wire in the living room...

hope this helps...

Lemon

M

MichaelJHuman

Audioholic
There are a few options for hooking your Yamaha up to your network. I will describe mine as it also allows for streaming of music via iTunes.

My network three Apple Airport units. One base station, and two Airport Exresses. The base station is more expensive and is only necessary if you need both a LAN and a WAN port at the same physical location. I used to need that, but don't anymore.

One airport express is physically connected to my cable modem. The other two supply audio streaming, a physical port and extend the wireless network.

Nice thing about the airport units is that the setup wizard takes away most of the guesswork. Mixing airports and non airports creates some headaches, mainly because of how airports assign IP addresses. They use 10.0.1.x rather than 192.168.0.x addresses by default. I stopped using a non Apple wired router for that reason (it can be done, its just a PITA.)

Note that I use a switch rather than a hub. A switch is like smarter than a hub (which is just wires,) but dumber than a router. A switch regulates traffic unlike a hub.

My total network looks kinda like this:

Cable modem <-> Bedroom airport express*
Airport express audio out -> Bedroom receiver

Living room airport express** <-ethenet cable-> switch
Living room airport express audio <- via RCA-> RX-V2700
switch <-ethernet cable->Tivo box
switch <-ethernet cable->RX-V2700

Computer room
Airport Base station**** -> PC

* Main wireless access point. Physically located next to the cable modem.
** Set to extend the main access points internet connection and share its connection via the LAN/WAN port
*** Set to extend the main access points internet connection and share its connection via the LAN port

J

jdkeffer

Audiophyte
RX-V2700 WMP and OSD

I'm struggling to get the full functionality out of my new RX-V2700.

Basic functions work, but I cannot access the OSD. I'm trying to direct the built in Zone 2 and Zone 3 amps to my speakers. Can't get to the menu. Any ideas?

Connected my pc and 2700 to a router. can't see the 2700 from MWP (nothing shows up in the 'Share' window.

Trying to contact Yamaha support, but site seems to be down.

Help would be greatly appreciated.

jk

N

Nestor

Senior Audioholic
jdkeffer said:
I'm struggling to get the full functionality out of my new RX-V2700.

Basic functions work, but I cannot access the OSD. I'm trying to direct the built in Zone 2 and Zone 3 amps to my speakers. Can't get to the menu. Any ideas?

Connected my pc and 2700 to a router. can't see the 2700 from MWP (nothing shows up in the 'Share' window.

Trying to contact Yamaha support, but site seems to be down.

Help would be greatly appreciated.

jk

Are you saying you can't get to the OSD features for zone 2/3?

Is your router set up properly? If set up as DHCP, your router should assign i.p. addresses for each device connected to your network.

You can check your receiver's network settings (page 109). You want to make sure the DHCP setting on your rx is set to "on" so it will accept an ip address from your router.

J

jdkeffer

Audiophyte
Rx-v2700 Osd

Correct, I cannot access the OSD screens for Zone 2 and 3.
No other screens for that matter.

I'm getting and 'OSD 2700' screen when I press the initial buttom on the remote, but the arrow keys won't take me to other screens; almost as it the unit does not recognize the remote signal or there are no other screens...

jk

N

Nestor

Senior Audioholic
Are you trying to access the zone osd config from a second monitor or from the main monitor?

Any zone config settings should be changed by the GUI screen on your "main" zone monitor, then you can return to your second room and view the results of your changes.

Since I'm only using zone 2 audio and not video, I can't verify for you. Page 112 of manual goes over menu changes if you haven't found them already.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis