S

Sgratien

Audioholic Intern
I'm looking for information regarding zone two functionality/use. Does anybody offer an independent multisource powered zone 2 that can be used simultaneously with zone1- ie two separate sources? If no, are the analog zone2 pre-outs multisourced for all inputs, or just analog inputs?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I do believe there are plenty of receivers that can handle a separate source for zone 2 (likely most of them these days), but you will have to specifically look for the ones that can power that zone at the same time. That capability has been around for years, but not all receivers do it. I setup an Onkyo for a client this very way - assigned 2 of the surround channels to zone 2 which limited the main outputs to 5.1, but it worked as described running both with separate volume controls. I am not sure about current models, but previously only the higher models allowed zones to use sources that were not analog.

S

Sgratien

Audioholic Intern
the only experience i've had with a second zone has been an a/b option for speakers on the receiver. none of the manufacturer propaganda really explains their zone 2 options very well. denon seems to be the only one who makes reference to actual available inputs for zones- but i had to dig. i'm trying to fit a receiver to the needs/wants of a friend that i'm doing an install for and he wants to be able to watch tv and stream at the same time in different "zones", but only wants one "system". and of course it has to be free or at least cheap, haha.

A

avengineer

Banned
The typical limitation to zone 2 sources was they have to be analog only. It makes some sense, especially when you think about a digital 5.1 source needing to be actively down-mixed just for zone 2. Current models from Denon and Marantz are this way (there was a 2012 model that had digital sources to zone 2, but it was discontinued), but I recently sat through Denon/Marantz training where their guy claimed that digital sources to zone 2 and 3 is coming on future models. Whoopee. About time. It coincides with real zone 2 video out.

The other issue you run into is that even with an analog source sometimes there is a difference in audio delay between the main and zone 2 outs. It's only a problem when the two spaces are coupled acoustically. Just be aware it's there.

I also find that people try to do more with zone 2 and zone 3 than they really are able to, ending in frustration. You can't really do full distributed audio with just an AVR, you can only come close. Sometimes close enough, but usually not.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
I also find that people try to do more with zone 2 and zone 3 than they really are able to, ending in frustration. You can't really do full distributed audio with just an AVR, you can only come close. Sometimes close enough, but usually not.
I took my AVR about to the limits of all 3 zones.

Zone 1:

Zone 2: Audio and Video

In ceiling of patio

This is zone 3 in the bedroom:

IR control:

It works pretty darn good for a multi-control set up; using just an AVR.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
none of the manufacturer propaganda really explains their zone 2 options very well. denon seems to be the only one who makes reference to actual available inputs for zones- but i had to dig.
I'm not sure what you are talking about, this info is in the manual for every receiver that does it. The Onkyo that I setup for a friend nearly 10 years ago was documented quite well, because there isn't much to say. Analog stereo, full range (meaning no bass management at all) to the other zone. This capability has been around for at least 10 years, though yes, sometimes you will have to dig for the info, but it is there.

i'm trying to fit a receiver to the needs/wants of a friend that i'm doing an install for and he wants to be able to watch tv and stream at the same time in different "zones", but only wants one "system". and of course it has to be free or at least cheap, haha.
Streaming video is a totally different story and is likely to throw a big monkey wrench in the mix; certainly on the cheap it isn't going to be easy.

S

Sgratien

Audioholic Intern
i guess i meant that when comparing receivers based on listed specs- not downloading and reading set-up, etc in the manuals. sometimes it's easier to ask the question than search for the answer- a little lazy sometimes i guess. i've had this itch to get more involved and in depth with h/t, whole home audio and especially home integration and automation. i work 3 on and 4 off and when my son started school last fall i figured that would be the perfect time to get a job with one of my local pro shops. 7 month old son #2 shot that all to hell. still have the itch though- i love to read about all of it, but i need to get my hands on it- still have a ton to learn!!

anyway, talked to my buddy and he agreed that just a powered zone two will be sufficient- same source. any receiver reccomendations. the only must haves are powered zone two, airplay, network . i'm most familiar with yamaha, so i'm leaning towards rx-v573. most likely looking at 4 pioneer sp bs22lr and center. open to any suggestions $500 range for receiver. 50/50 mix music and tv

G

Grador

Audioholic Field Marshall
Just downloaded the manual for that yamaha, it appears to only have a Zone B, not zone 2. It will not have an independently selectable source in the second zone.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis