S

slacker70

Audiophyte
I am looking to purchase a new avr. I have a few questions regarding Zone 2 on some of the receivers. The system would be in the living room and i have a pair of inwall speakers in the kitchen. My previous reveiver had an A/B switch which would allow me to listen to the same source in the kitchen.

My questions about the Zone 2 are
1. Will the Zone 2 allow me to listen to same music,cd's as playing in the living room?

Will Zone 2 allow me to listen to music in the kitchen while a movie is on in the living room?

2. If I dont want an amp I should be looking for a Powered Zone 2 correct?

The receivers i am looking at are the Onkyo 507, Yamaha 665 and the Marantz 6002. It seems all of these are powered Zone 2's.

Thanks

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
<< Zone 2 answers.>>

Hi and welcome to Audioholics,

Any receiver that has 7 channel amplifiers, will allow you to use a 5.1-channel system in your main zone (your living room), and a 2-channel powered speakers in the zone 2 (your kitchen).

And you can play the same source in the two zones if they are stereo sources, or play a different stereo source in your kitchen, while a full 5.1 movie is playing in your living room.

So, your question #1 answer is YES.
Your question #1 (b) answer is YES.

And your question #2 answer is CORRECT (YES).

* If the Onkyo 507, Yamaha 665 ant Marantz 6002 all have 7 channels of amplification, they should be able to do exactly what we just talk about (powering 2-channel stereo speakers in the zone 2). Just remember that your main Zone (your living room is a 5.1-channel system configuration now, and not a 7.1-channel). But I think that you got that.
By the way, I like Marantz SR6002 best.

Bob

Last edited:
bandphan

bandphan

Banned
Just remember to run analog audio cables along with your digital cables, as almost all avrs will not play digital in zones:)

Last edited:
Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
Just remember to run analog audio cables along with your digital cables, as almost all avrs will not play digatal in zones:)
Now, Bandphan, where did you read that? :rolleyes:

And you get Thanked for that too!

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
No kidding, you're an installer too? And a good one at that too, seems like. ;)

S

slacker70

Audiophyte
Just remember to run analog audio cables along with your digital cables, as almost all avrs will not play digital in zones:)
Great, now if i decide to add patio speakers, would that require a amp or would it work with a speaker selector ?

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
Great, now if i decide to add patio speakers, would that require a amp or would it work with a speaker selector ?
either could/would work. Depends on the speakers and if you are going to play both sets at the same time.

S

slacker70

Audiophyte
either could/would work. Depends on the speakers and if you are going to play both sets at the same time.
I think it would be more for the convenience of being able to use them in the kitchen or outside, more like using the main speakers for music along with the kitchen or outdoor speakers together.

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
if your going to power both sets and the ht and the same time of of the reciever(which will suck alot of power) consider highly efficient speakers outside, if you dont have a speaker selector and have to purchase one, you might want to consider picking up an intergrated used for a few more dollars instead.

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
Marantz SR6002, hurry up! At only $349, you're in heaven!

The Marantz SR6002 at only $349!!!

Click now! Don't wait, it's the deal that you cannot miss. Hurry up! Do it, right now.

davidtwotrees

davidtwotrees

Audioholic General
I've been working on zone 2 questions in my head........and my rig. I am not sure, but on some older models, like my HK AVR300, don't you need an IR set up for multi room operation? I also was looking at some older Marantz receivers, like the SR7400 and the Marantz 7300ose that are for sale used at a fair price but they also mention needing an IR sensor set up..........so now I am leery of zone 2 apps. I was just looking at a Denon AVR2803 locally for sale used. Does that unit support out of the box zone 2 without an outboard amp or IR device? Any help or thoughts would be appreciated.
I did try running the Hk with an outboard two channel amp and didn't get anything in the multi room application. Thank in advance.

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
I've been working on zone 2 questions in my head........and my rig. I am not sure, but on some older models, like my HK AVR300, don't you need an IR set up for multi room operation? I also was looking at some older Marantz receivers, like the SR7400 and the Marantz 7300ose that are for sale used at a fair price but they also mention needing an IR sensor set up..........so now I am leery of zone 2 apps. I was just looking at a Denon AVR2803 locally for sale used. Does that unit support out of the box zone 2 without an outboard amp or IR device? Any help or thoughts would be appreciated.
I did try running the Hk with an outboard two channel amp and didn't get anything in the multi room application. Thank in advance.
I would pick up an rf>ir base station and remote like the URC RF20 instead of ir reapting unless it was in the next room where a sensor could easily be run. The hk has a long setup it looks like, but doable:)

davidtwotrees

davidtwotrees

Audioholic General
gosh, I just want a couplea' speakers in my bedroom to listen to the music server running in the living room. I don't want volume control, or remote control or nothing. Just some music.........why do I need any sort of rfir station remote? how does that help my receiver with the zone 2?

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
Denon 2803: Power Amplifier Assign function, lets you assign 2 of the 7 amp channels to drive second zone speakers directly

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
gosh, I just want a couplea' speakers in my bedroom to listen to the music server running in the living room. I don't want volume control, or remote control or nothing. Just some music.........why do I need any sort of rfir station remote? how does that help my receiver with the zone 2?
It helps with all of the things you just said you don't need or don't want so no RF remote/basestation or IR repeater setup necessary. :)

Now if you do decide you want to be able to change what you are listening to or increase/decrease the volume without getting up and going to the receiver, then an RF remote will come in real handy.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis