Zone 2 on Yamaha TSR 700

A

AeMartin

Enthusiast
Hello, hoping someone can help me with an issue I'm having with Zone 2 on the Yamaha TSR 700 receiver. A month ago the receiver was set up by the A/V company that installed all the wiring/speakers/security in our new home. The technician ran through things and had the main room (5.1.2) and the patio (Zone 2) operating just fine. A couple weeks later I went to play music in Zone 2 and nothing. I've checked all the connections, settings etc and still nothing. When I turn Zone 2 on the display illuminates and shows Zone 2 is on. When I pick an input it will display on the front screen for a couple seconds and then the display goes blank. This as opposed to the Main Zone where the input stays displayed on the front screen. Any ideas on what is going on here and what if anything I can do to fix this?

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Hello and welcome. Try turning off the receiver and then sliding the MAIN/ZONE 2 selector to Zone 2. Then, press power. Select a source to play in Zone 2 and see if you get sound. Are you using the MusicCast app at all? What is the source of the audio you tried to play that did not work?

A

AeMartin

Enthusiast
Thanks and yes I'm using Music Cast. Tried what you suggested and still nada. Nothing via Music Cast either. I find it strange that the front screen does not have a constant display as it does for the Main Zone. When I'm in Zone 2 if I press Input or Volume it comes on but then almost immediately goes off. I'm pretty sure there is some issue with the receiver, maybe a software issue but figured I'd check to see if anyone else has experienced this.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
You may be in "PURE DIRECT" mode while using Zone 2. While still controlling Zone 2, press the "STRAIGHT" button on the remote control to switch from "PURE DIRECT" mode to see if the display stays on.

A

AeMartin

Enthusiast
Thanks, I tried that. It appears I can only change between Straight and Pure Direct while controlling Main Zone. Pressing those buttons with only Zone 2 on does nothing and the display still flashes off in seconds.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Are the "ZONE" and "PURE DIRECT" lights illuminated on the front panel? What is the source of the audio you are trying to play in Zone 2?

A

AeMartin

Enthusiast
When I have only Zone 2 on the "ZONE" light is lit, but when I press "PURE DIRECT" that light does not come on. Now if I turn on Main and hit "PURE DIRECT" the light comes on and "ZONE" light goes out. I then cannot get "STRAIGHT" back. I have to shut off Main and turn it back on to be able to switch back to "STRAIGHT". Not sure how/why that happens.....

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Sorry, to get out of "PURE DIRECT" mode, press the button again, not another mode button. So, if one of the Zones is in "PURE DIRECT" mode, press the "PURE DIRECT" button again to get out of it. When you get both Zones back into "STRAIGHT" mode, go into your MAIN Zone and play some content. Then, press the "PARTY" button on the remote control and see if the Zone 2 speakers come on along with the MAIN speakers to rule out any connection, speaker assignment or Zone setup issues.

A

AeMartin

Enthusiast
No, problem I figured that out. LOL No sound with PARTY mode on. Also when I have only Zone 2 on only the "ENHANCER" button seems to work. Input button works but when I press TUNER it flashes on then goes dark. The Tuner is tuned to as station and displays it and remains on when in the Main Zone.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
No sound in Zone 2 with PARTY mode ON or no sound at all from any Zone?

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Did ALL of the Main Zone speakers come on? Height speakers?

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Should have just been in STEREO in both Zones if working properly.

A

AeMartin

Enthusiast
In PARTY all Main Zone speakers are playing and nothing happens in Zone 2

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Based on what is going on, it seems the speaker assignment isn't correct. When Zone 2 is set properly and ON, you should lose sound from either the Height Speakers in a 5.1.2 Main Zone setup or the Surround Back speakers in a 7.1 Main Zone setup. Check your settings and make sure you are setup for 5.1.2 + 1 Zone if you are using presence/height speakers or 7.1 + 1 Zone if you are using Surround Back speakers. The Zone 2 speakers should be connected to the F. PRESENCE/ZONE 2 speaker terminals in a 5.1.2 + 1 Zone setup. In a 7.1 setup, the Zone 2 speakers should be connected to the SURROUND BACK/ZONE 2 speaker terminals.

A

AeMartin

Enthusiast
Sorry, I screwed up in my description. The speaker set up is Front R & L, Center, Surround R & L and Subwoofer. There are no Front Presence or Surround Back speakers. And the outdoor speakers are connected to Extra SP 1 F. Presence/Zone 2. In the 7.1+1 Zone Amp Assignment screen it shows "Extra SP1 - Zone 2".

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Ok, now I get it. You will want to set Surround Back speakers to NONE using the 7.1 + 1 Zone. While you are at it, set ALL other speakers to SMALL with an 80Hz or higher crossover setting. After that, find the virtual speaker settings and turn the Dolby SP Virtual and Virtual Surround Back Speakers(VSBS) to ON. You need to be on the latest firmware to turn on virtual height speakers. This will give you heightened effects when playing Dolby Atmos tracks or using Dolby Surround mode with other tracks in the Main Zone using your 5.1 setup. Once these settings are made, you should be able to get sound from your Zone 2 speakers.

Last edited:
A

AeMartin

Enthusiast
Thanks, I will give that a try. What I don't understand is that it was set up on the 7.1+1 Zone and it worked that first time. I think I'm gonna try the Bi-Amped solutions first since I have a couple old Adcom amps lying around. I think something is screwy with this Receiver since it doesn't seem to act properly in Zone 2 with the Inputs. I did check the firmware and it doesn't show that an update is required but I'll double check that.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Amp assignments and speaker settings can be confusing when wiring speakers in other zones. When using five speakers and a subwoofer in the Main room, you have a 5.1 system. If you add surround back/back surround speakers to the 5.1 system, you now have a 7.1 system. If you add two Dolby/Height/Presence speakers to a 5.1 system, you now have a 5.1.2 system. The first number indicates the number of ear level speakers/main speakers. The .1 indicates the LFE channel and one may have one or more subwoofers in the setup but they are still working with just one LFE( .1) channel. The last number indicates the number of height speakers in the system and many have two while many others have four or even six in their systems.

The Zone 2 speakers are not reflected in the channel numbers of the Main Zone. So, 5.1.2 and 7.1 do not mean that you have a 5.1 Main Zone and a two channel Zone 2. They mean you are using seven speakers in the Main Zone. Two of those speaker channels can be turned off and the amps used to power a second zone when Zone 2 is turned on. With Zone 2 ON, a 5.1.2 or 7.1 system becomes a 5.1 system so that the receiver can power Zone 2. There is no 5.1 + 1 Zone setting when only using five speakers in the main zone. So, height or surround back speaker sizes need to be set to NONE when using Zone 2 and selecting 5.1.2 + 1 Zone or 7.1 + 1 Zone.

Last edited:
T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Thanks, I will give that a try. What I don't understand is that it was set up on the 7.1+1 Zone and it worked that first time. I think I'm gonna try the Bi-Amped solutions first since I have a couple old Adcom amps lying around. I think something is screwy with this Receiver since it doesn't seem to act properly in Zone 2 with the Inputs. I did check the firmware and it doesn't show that an update is required but I'll double check that.
I have my wires crossed. You said the Zone 2 speakers are connected to EXP SP1. I read EXP SP2. So, 7.1 + 1 Zone would be the correct Amp Assignment using those speaker terminals for Zone 2. You would set the Surround back speaker size to NONE in this case so the receiver turns those amps off when Zone 2 is not on. I'll edit my mess above accordingly. ;) If you think something is up with the amps powering Zone 2, switch the amp assign to just 5.1.2, set height speakers to Small, and play something in ALL CHANNEL STEREO. You should get sound from the Zone 2 speakers.

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis