Zone 2/lineout conflicting info

Corben

Corben

Audiophyte
Hi.
I invested in a pioneer vs lx301 last spring along with new speakers, and a turntable. I have a old CD player but it is wearing down and I want to get a new CD player along with the ability to record music on it too. According to the manuals for the models I been researching all I have to do hook up a couple RCA plugs to the line out connections on the back of a receiver. Just like we did with cassett recorders in the olden days.
However......on my 500 dollar pioneer I have Zone2/ lineout on the back of my receiver. Which in it's self is cool if I want to listen to my music in another room. But from what I read I'll need to hook that up to another amp or receiver in the other room. But now I'm drifting.......
I contacted Pioneer Supprt and asked if the Zone2/lineout is what I'd use to hook up a recordable device like a CD player/ recorder or even a old cassette player with record but they said NO. The Zone2/lineout isn't the same as other equipment lineout and I can't record my LPs or anything with it. Huh?
So I wonder....why does it include the word Lineout with Zone 2's connection on the back there? It doesn't make sence to me. I mean if the signal from the pioneer travels from it to zone2s device to be heard in another room.....im baffled.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I also find it odd to combine a line out with a pre-out. Does this avr expect you to use a zone 2 amp with it's own volume control rather than use the avr's? Or is there a setting that changes the output from a pre-out to a line out (i.e. variable output for the pre-out, fixed for the line-out)? Does the manual not explain the ports/settings? I wouldn't expect someone that gets on the phone in customer service to answer that in any case....

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
If I'm looking at the back of your receiver correctly, you don't have a record out at all. You have a Zone 2 output that is listed as 'Pre/Line Out' under it.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/81OGv3Jj3WL._SL1500_.jpg

Almost all two zone receivers that offer RCA outputs allow you to switch the output from variable to fixed. Variable (pre-out) if you are using the remote to control the volume. Fixed (line out) if you are using a volume control in the wall to handle the volume.

You CAN use it as a record out if you want, but it will have to be selected manually as your zone 2 source, and it may require you to have analog connections to the receiver to get audio to play out of those outputs. Then, make sure you set the audio output to 'fixed' and if it is an option '0 dB'. If it is not an option, it may be properly set to '0 dB' by default.

Once you have zone 2 playing the same thing that zone 1 is playing, you should be able to record it and it should act as a proper connection for recording to your CD-R deck.

Not that I've had any need to record anything to a CD in ages, but that is the way it would be done.

Last edited:
Corben

Corben

Audiophyte
If I'm looking at the back of your receiver correctly, you don't have a record out at all. You have a Zone 2 output that is listed as 'Pre/Line Out' under it.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/81OGv3Jj3WL._SL1500_.jpg

Almost all two zone receivers that offer RCA outputs allow you to switch the output from variable to fixed. Variable (pre-out) if you are using the remote to control the volume. Fixed (line out) if you are using a volume control in the wall to handle the volume.

You CAN use it as a record out if you want, but it will have to be selected manually as your zone 2 source, and it may require you to have analog connections to the receiver to get audio to play out of those outputs. Then, make sure you set the audio output to 'fixed' and if it is an option '0 dB'. If it is not an option, it may be properly set to '0 dB' by default.

Once you have zone 2 playing the same thing that zone 1 is playing, you should be able to record it and it should act as a proper connection for recording to your CD-R deck.

Not that I've had any need to record anything to a CD in ages, but that is the way it would be done.
Thank you. I will try that if Santa read my letter.

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis