Zone 2 IR receiver?

drunkmunk

drunkmunk

Junior Audioholic
So I have ordered a new receiver with zone 2 capabilities (an Onkyo 807) and already have the speakers installed and running on my back patio. What is the best way to control the receiver? (ie volume and skipping tracks on streamed music) from reading the manual there is an IR port on the back of the reciever which the manual states:

"A commercially available IR receiver can be connected
to the IR IN jack, allowing you to control the
AV receiver while you’re in Zone 2/3, or control it
when it’s out of sight, for example, installed in a
cabinet."

googling for info only brings up entire house systems made by Niles. So is there a single cable with an IR receiver that I could install on the outside and plug into the back of the receiver?

Thanks in advance,

Paul

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
You need a MSU, sensor and- flashers to control gear other than the AVR.

Here is one example of a complete package but I prefer the flat mount eyes.
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_190RCASM2/Niles-RCA-SM2.html?search=Niles+VENDORID190&ssi=0&searchdisplay=Niles
http://www.nilesaudio.com/product.php?prodID=MS120&recordID=IR

I have an extra MSU 140 if you want to work out something. The 140 will only control 1 zone so if you are looking to control zone 2 and a zone 3, you need something bigger.

Here is how mine works:

The MSU is plugged into my AVR and goes to zone 2 on the patio and zone 3 in the bedroom.

It then goes to a IR sensor in the ceiling of the patio and a spare remote controls the audio and video outside.

Zone 3 goes to a wall mounted keypad in the bedroom.

There is an issue with some AVR using proprietary controls with their IR jacks. ADKHighlander can probably tell you if yours will work with the NILES. I will PM him a link of this thread so he can help us out.

Last edited:
drunkmunk

drunkmunk

Junior Audioholic
ParadigmDawg: Wow! that's one hell of a nice set up! Thanks for the reply.
I really only need to control the receiver because the only sources I plan on using are internet radio and streamed mp3's all of which are controlled directly through the AVR.

The way I understand your setup is the IR receiver outside is connected to a cable (presumably CAT5) then sent to the MSU and punched down. From there the MSU sends the output to the equipment. I don't understand how the signal gets from the MSU to the equipment though. are the outputs from the MSU connected via the IR ports on the back of your AVR and other equipment? Or is there some form of port that retransmits the signal?

Sorry if this is obvious and I am just missing it.

I do dig your setup though. Do you get washout during day time viewing? That would be a great way to not miss any football and still be able to keep a good eye on the Brats or ribs on Sundays.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
Yes, the IR sensor is outside and uses CAT5 to connect to the MSU which plugs into the AVR. My MSU is directly behind my AVR and I use a 6" mini-plug from it to the AVR.

Yes, I get washout on the display when it's sunny, it's a plasma. A LCD would be better but I didn't have a spare one setting around so I used the old plasma. Great for cloudy days and nighttime.

Here is my HT seating for out there.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis