Zaph ZDT3.5 question

D

DavidSmith

Audiophyte
I recently completed building a set of Zaph's ZDT3.5's. They sound great and I'm pretty darn happy but for some reason I'm getting more mid range out of one speaker than the other. It's pronounced from a distance and when I put my hand over both mids I can feel a vibration difference so I know it's not in my head.

Does anyone have any ideas? Did I mess up the x-over on one? I'm not sure I applied mounting gasket behind one as I did on the one that seems louder. I'm a complete rookie and this is my first build ever.

I didn't opt for the different resistors that he mentions and went with the standard so I know those are the same.

This is my first post here so hello :)
Sure could use some troubleshooting help.

D

DavidSmith

Audiophyte
After listening further .. it seems my balance is out of whack. I adjusted semi-heavily left and they seem to be the same now. What would cause one speaker to play quieter than the other? I don't think its my components as its balanced under headphones.

Onkyo amp and preamp
Dbx 3bx
Dbx 120x
Dbx 400x route selector
is what I have driving them.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Good on ya for going DIY! I'm the guy the keeps saying he is getting a pair of Thors built, and never has. So take my comments/suggestions as intended, I am learning too!

-I would look at both crossovers and see where on the PCB you soldered your connections, they have to be identical. As in, the distance from where the connection is soldered, to the Inductor/cap/resistor(s) being connected.

-Verify all your polarities are correct

-If neither of those work, then you need to compare your crossovers to the design and see where you went wrong. Something is out of place somewhere.

Post up your findings!

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Ooo... make sure the binding posts on the speakers are all screwed down tight too!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis