YSP-1000: AV reciever & sub(s) [newbie]

P

pzkrakz

Audiophyte
Hello All,

First, thanks so much for providing a valuable resource for avoiding bose consumption.

I just finished my basement and, although it is awkwardly shaped, and I wired slots for rear speakers, I intend to go with the YSP-1000. I can keep that away from my kid and it should be good enough (I am not an audiophile). My questions are:

- I read that it would be appropriate to have an AV reciever to channel inputs from gamebox(es), cable, dvd, etc., all of which I will have. What would be appropriate? I presume that it should have optical out for input into the YSP-1000? Another poster suggested the Yamaha RX-V657 receiver. Personally I would like to stay in brand unless there is a compelling reason to stray.

- I also understand that one needs to get a sub for the YSP-1000, which I presume the YSP-1000 will drive...? I reading the forums, I noted that one poster recommends actually getting two smaller subs for more uniform sound. Is that accurate? What is recommended? Two, one, doesn't matter to me. Is there any way that I can mount a sub above the ground (to get it out of my kids way) without compromising the sound quality? Do the magnets in the sub have any effect on the LCD/Plasma/OLED tv or other electrical component performance when the sub is close to them?

Price isn't as much of a factor, the solution is more important to me. However, no need to spend more for something only incrementally better (I am not an audiophile). We will use the system mainly for movies and games. Precision music is not as important.

Finally, I plan to buy everything mid-'06. Should I be holding out for any upgrades in products?

Thanks much for your help!

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Yamaha YSP

The yamaha YSP is a good solution if you have a small square room and want a simple system A/V system with a signle front mounted speaker unit. The YSP is designed to be used AS the audio receiver and has a couple connections on the back. First, I would check if the YSP has enough audio inputs for all of your gear. If not, a receiver is a better option.

If you go with a receiver and have wiring for side or rear "surround" speakers then you might as well setup a real 5.1 system instead of a simulated one like the YSP. The new 5.1 speaker/sub system from SVSounds.com has received great reviews and would be a great option for $900. The Yamaha you listed would have plenty of power and features for that speaker system.

I would consider investigating the speakers now since they have introductory pricing, but electronics like the receiver tend to drop in price every few months as new models are released.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis