H

hchytd

Junior Audioholic
Hey fellas,

I have an Aperion Audio 5.1 speaker setup and yamaha receiver with YPAO (automatic setup). What should I set my crossover and level ON MY SUB before I do the auto-setup? And then what should I up or back down each after the setup is finished.

Thank you!

-Tiffany

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
The auto set-up does a pretty poor job with speaker size and crossover. After you complete the auto go back in and manually set the speakers to small and set the crossover somewhere between 60 and 90hz (depending on the low extension of your speakers) Disable the crossover in your sub or turn it as high as it will go.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Yes, YPAO is not the most reliable as far as the autosetups go. Mine comes up with completely different results each time that have to be re-ajusted after running it. It would set my fronts a different distances and set the levels for the fronts different and it sounded off. I would have to go and correct YPAO's mistakes.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Concerning the YPAO question about the subwoofer:

The subwoofer's x-over should be set to max (200hz or so) or bypassed if possible. Use the x-over on the receiver and set all speakers to small. You will need to adjust the x-over on the receiver after running YPAO as well as speakers size. Set the receiver's x-over between 60-100hz or so (THX uses 80hz).

So pretty much everything that Greg said.;)

nav

nav

Audioholic
I'm moving my reply here from the cross-posted thread (may I apologize in advance for the redundancy I'm introduction here in doing so):
I also have a yamaha receiver with excellent YPAO (i realize most Ypao's are not so good but this one detects many things almost as accurately (speaker distance, etc.) as a SPL meter. I have tested.
For what it's worth: my RX-V2500's YPAO was definitely close with all of the distances and relative level adjustments with the exception of the subwoofer, which was off target.

Anyhow, before doing the auto-setup with YPAO, what should I set my crossover and level on my sub? And then afterwards, what should I up or back down my crossover and level on sub? Should I use my receiver's crossover or sub or both when all is said and done?
Turn the crossover on the subwoofer off or, if that is not an option, as high a frequency as possible. The receiver's subwoofer crossover frequency setting depends on your situation, but the general recommendation is 80 Hz as a starting point (and all speakers with less bass extension than the subwoofer set to "small").

Since you have a SPL meter: run the YPAO if you'd like and then set the subwoofer's relative level to 0 dB and then continue to manually adjust the subwoofer with the volume knob on the subwoofer using your SPL meter to determine when it is level matched to the rest of the system (feel free to utilize the pink noise from the receiver).

Using the receiver's relative level adjustment for the subwoofer isn't necessarily bad, but in some situations it can cause trouble with auto-on/off signal detection (when adjusted negatively) or voltage clipping in the input section of the subwoofer's amplifier (when adjusted positively); you probably won't have those issues, but I'm just being cautious.

mkossler

mkossler

Audioholic
I recently had an interesting bout with Mr. YPAO too.

After running with my sub's crossover defeated (see sig for speakers), YPAO said:
  • My fronts were 13.5 feet away (correct), and small (heck no).
  • My center was 13.0 feet away (correct enough), and large (heck no).
  • My sub was normal (opinions vary), in phase (correct) and 18.5 feet away (lordy, lordy no!), with crossover set to 80 Hz (Hallejulah! First time ever!).

Surround settings were fine. Center EQ was fine.

Kind of hit-or-miss, eh?

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
My Wife moves the furniture in the living room just about weekly so I am always re-calibrating my system. The only constant that the YPAO seems to have is the crossover; it sets it a 200 every time. For some reason I still always use the auto set-up and then go back and do everything right. I guess at some point I will just stop using the auto but I enjoy pulling out all the equipment I can find and playing like I know what I am doing.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
My Wife moves the furniture in the living room just about weekly so I am always re-calibrating my system. The only constant that the YPAO seems to have is the crossover; it sets it a 200 every time. For some reason I still always use the auto set-up and then go back and do everything right. I guess at some point I will just stop using the auto but I enjoy pulling out all the equipment I can find and playing like I know what I am doing.
It sets it to 200!:eek:, that is strange.:confused:

R

rexracer

Junior Audioholic
Since I just got my front 3, I ran YPAO for the first time. Distances weren,t bad. Levels may be close, but I haven't checked with a meter yet. Set my fronts to large (not!) and the crossover to 180hz.:eek: It reversed the phase, which I am unsure of. I'll have to figure out how to check that. Definitely not real accurate. BTW, it's a 659.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
Mine gets the distance really close, levels fair, size wrong, crossover wrong, says my center is reversed.

I go back and adjust everything and turn of the center EQ.

It's also a 659 but I love that little beast...

N

Nick250

Audioholic Samurai
FYI I don't know about YPAO, but with Audyssey the distance from the sub to the listening position is often different than what your tape measure shows, however there is a reason for that and you leave the setting as Audyssey sets it. I can not remember the reason for this however.

Nick

B

Buckeye_Nut

Audioholic Field Marshall
YPAO isnt perfect, but it does an excellent job where it's truly needed. In my experience, ported subs can yield a different distance than measured, but you should keep the distance set at the YPAO setting. Keep in mind, the YPAO is measuring the time it takes in microseconds for the Sound pressure waves to reach the mic to calculate distance, and the mic doesnt lie!!! The same goes for channel levels. When it comes to speaker distances and channel db levels, I recommend using the YPAO settings.

As for the glitches? The occasional 'false-reverse', a non-preferred crossover, or manually adjusting the speakers from big to small to set to your personal preferences are obvious, simple, and easy manual fixes.

You should also check other settings to make sure everything is set the way you like it. IE.... Sub-out to both or 'sub-only', dynamic range(should be wide), etc, etc, etc....and stuff like that.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
Ummm; I agree one the distance but not so sure on the db levels. Wouldnt the old SPL be better for this?

B

Buckeye_Nut

Not necessarily.........

I think a lot of people struggle with taking accurate readings from a hand held SPL meter. If they were proficient at it, they'd see how accurate the YPAO db settings really are...... The variances from speaker to speaker should be so close that any differences would be rendered insignificant.

Keep in mind, that if you repeat YPAO in a 'quite' room many times, you will get varying results. And what I mean by that is the "ABSOLUTE" results may change, but the channel levels in relation to one another will remain consistent within a small tolerance of typically around 1.5db or less.

It should also be noted that the majority of typical "HT Buffs" build their theaters in acoustically untreated listening rooms with no bass trapping or broadband absorption of any kind (a room with peaks and valleys of 30-60db or more at varying frequencies) which helps put into proper perspective of say......a tolerance of 1 or 2 db between channel levels.

Last edited:
ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
You may be right Buckeye I just lose a little faith in the fact that it can get some setting really wrong yet I am supposed to trust other settings. To tell you the truth; after my wife's last furniture move I ran the YPAO and then listened to my favorite reference DVD(The Incredibles and then CD (David Sanbourn) and it was the best my system has ever sounded. Then I checked the levels and they were pretty close. I think the improved sound came mainly from the couch in front of the sub being moved?

B

Buckeye_Nut

You may be right Buckeye I just lose a little faith in the fact that it can get some setting really wrong yet I am supposed to trust other settings. To tell you the truth; after my wife's last furniture move I ran the YPAO and then listened to my favorite reference DVD(The Incredibles and then CD (David Sanbourn) and it was the best my system has ever sounded. Then I checked the levels and they were pretty close. I think the improved sound came mainly from the couch in front of the sub being moved?
Except for a potential "false reverse" (I've never had one with my current speakers, but I always got one with my old speakers), I dont really see anything else being necessarily 'wrong' with YPAO. For example, YPAO sets my 4 towers to large. I always set them to small manually, but technically..... YPAO was right to set them to large. I also always manually set my crossover to 80hz if the YPAO doesnt do it automatically. If YPAO sets it at 100hz, is that necessarily wrong? Is there really a right or wrong crossover, or is it personal preference? In my opinion, those types of parameters should be programmed manually anyway.

The Incredibles is one of my favorites too:D

.......and yes, moving a couch can alter room nodes and effectively change how your system sounds from your favorite chair.

PS... I read somewhere that certain types of crossovers or certain specific internal configurations of some speakers may cause a false reverse. In the event that you do get one, simply double check your wiring to make sure it is correct, and ignore the false reverse.

Last edited:
B

Buckeye_Nut

I sent a response:)

I hope it helps.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis