Halon451

Halon451

Audioholic Samurai
So in the process of getting my new Yamaha RX-A2060 set up and have run YPAO a couple of times already as more or less a cursory adjustment to see how it operates before I dig in tonight after actually reading the manual and getting everything set up correctly to run a more proper calibration.

Noticing that the R.S.C. (Reflected Sound Control) functionality isn't anything that is widely apparent during the whole YPAO process, and I have read this section in the manual a few times over looking to see if I've missed something. I'm also still learning the entire menu tree on the receiver which is quite a bit more than my previous two. Is R.S.C. just something built in to YPAO on certain higher end models that more or less runs "behind the curtain"? In other words it adjusts for reflections automatically even as it sets PEQ, distance, level, etc., settings? The manual is not clear on this at all.

To make matters more confusing, the manual is written for both the 2060 and the 3060, so I assume that R.S.C. is a feature inherent to both models?

Anyone here with Yamahas and experience with YPAO, any tips, tricks, experience wisdom nuggets that aren't explicitly covered in the literature before I go into the full monty calibration tonight?

IME in the past I've always gotten much better results limiting my mic placements to either one location in the main seating area or within just an inch or two of a central spot on my couch. I have a very difficult room, hence the R.S.C. functionality is of keen interest to me. So I'm going with that mic placement method at least and following the other instructions given to a tee. Just wondering if there's any other advice other Yamaha users could throw me that may help make the process smoother.

Thanks!

Craig Payne

Craig Payne

Enthusiast
So in the process of getting my new Yamaha RX-A2060 set up and have run YPAO a couple of times already as more or less a cursory adjustment to see how it operates before I dig in tonight after actually reading the manual and getting everything set up correctly to run a more proper calibration.

Noticing that the R.S.C. (Reflected Sound Control) functionality isn't anything that is widely apparent during the whole YPAO process, and I have read this section in the manual a few times over looking to see if I've missed something. I'm also still learning the entire menu tree on the receiver which is quite a bit more than my previous two. Is R.S.C. just something built in to YPAO on certain higher end models that more or less runs "behind the curtain"? In other words it adjusts for reflections automatically even as it sets PEQ, distance, level, etc., settings? The manual is not clear on this at all.

To make matters more confusing, the manual is written for both the 2060 and the 3060, so I assume that R.S.C. is a feature inherent to both models?

Anyone here with Yamahas and experience with YPAO, any tips, tricks, experience wisdom nuggets that aren't explicitly covered in the literature before I go into the full monty calibration tonight?

IME in the past I've always gotten much better results limiting my mic placements to either one location in the main seating area or within just an inch or two of a central spot on my couch. I have a very difficult room, hence the R.S.C. functionality is of keen interest to me. So I'm going with that mic placement method at least and following the other instructions given to a tee. Just wondering if there's any other advice other Yamaha users could throw me that may help make the process smoother.

Thanks!
As far as I know R.S.C is automatically built into the YPAO calibration process. I have a rectangular lounge room and I find multi angle YPAO works great for me. Good sound from 3-4 listening positions. I am also running dual subs which helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

S

SSJBen

Audiophyte
RSC is built into YPAO from the v681 models and up. Any models below that only has a single point YPAO with no RSC.

If you want to know more in-depth on what RSC does behind the scenes, read these 2 articles:
https://simplehomecinema.com/2014/10/09/yamaha-ypao-and-ypao-r-s-c-advanced-topic/
https://simplehomecinema.com/2014/11/14/yamaha-ypao-r-s-c-take-two-advanced-topic/

They are a little old at this point as Yamaha has updated YPAO (and RSC) in the last 2 years. That said, the concept of what they do is still relevant of what's said in those 2 articles.

I personally use 5 points of measurement for YPAO (2-seater couch). Then I verify with REW and do some tweaks using the manual preset. Works like a treat for me.

Halon451

Halon451

Audioholic Samurai
RSC is built into YPAO from the v681 models and up. Any models below that only has a single point YPAO with no RSC.

If you want to know more in-depth on what RSC does behind the scenes, read these 2 articles:
https://simplehomecinema.com/2014/10/09/yamaha-ypao-and-ypao-r-s-c-advanced-topic/
https://simplehomecinema.com/2014/11/14/yamaha-ypao-r-s-c-take-two-advanced-topic/

They are a little old at this point as Yamaha has updated YPAO (and RSC) in the last 2 years. That said, the concept of what they do is still relevant of what's said in those 2 articles.

I personally use 5 points of measurement for YPAO (2-seater couch). Then I verify with REW and do some tweaks using the manual preset. Works like a treat for me.
Running REW is something I've yet to do in all the time I've had a HT setup. Previously I had an older Pioneer and it's built in MCACC did a pretty excellent job of making things sound good in my room so I felt no need to tweak and fiddle beyond that. It's interesting to know that the YPAO mic is fairly on par with the UMIK-1 in terms of accuracy at least to that 1/6th octave. I see no reason then why I shouldn't download the REW software and hook up the YPAO mic to see what it spits out.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis