YPAO - saving multiple EQ setups? (Yamaha 781)

E

EdOz

Enthusiast
I typically run a multi-point YPAO calibration, save the results, and then fine-tune manually. Is there a way to save several calibrations so that I can toggle between them and compare the sonic differences?

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
I'm assuming it's connected, via LAN (local area network), in your home.

The GUI works by typing in the assigned IP address of the AVR into your web browsers address bar.

Press the 'TOP MENU' button at the bottom left.

Press the "SETTINGS' button at the bottom left.

Choose the 'Backup/Recovery' option from the menu choices on the left hand side.

Do a backup of your current settings to your PC/MAC folder/location and label it (date, etc,).

Change your settings for a 2nd/3rd/etc. YPAO run, back them up individually and label each accordingly also.

And then it's only a matter of doing a 'Recovery' of your preferred back-ups to reload them.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
@Ponzio how long is the loading process on the Yamaha with this method? I've got an older Denon and it takes a while to load up a saved Audyssey run....but I understand some newer Denons have a way to keep two on hand for fairly quick switching....

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
On my Yamaha's doesn't take very long at all, a minute or two tops, both backup's and recoveries.

It's come in very handy when people accidentally change a setting when I'm out of the room :rolleyes:

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
On my Yamaha's doesn't take very long at all, a minute or two tops, both backup's and recoveries.

It's come in very handy when people accidentally change a setting when I'm out of the room :rolleyes:
Just wondering how useful such a long delay would be for comparisons....I liked to save my configurations for mostly different speaker configuration/placement, but on my Denon it takes well over a minute or two to reload....saving I think went pretty quickly, tho.

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
Just wondering how useful such a long delay would be for comparisons....I liked to save my configurations for mostly different speaker configuration/placement, but on my Denon it takes well over a minute or two to reload....saving I think went pretty quickly, tho.
Depends on the length of the delay. Audible memory is a tricky thing but I don't think a 3 or 5 minute delay will break the bank.

I've started playing around lately with changing the cross-over on my subs with some great results, based on the room/etc., vs. the previous default 80 Hz setting. My first go at it was in my bedroom where I have a pair of LS50's with a puny 8" Velodyne sub. I bumped up the subs cross-over to 95.2 Hz after changing it to various points and it's made a noticeable difference.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Depends on the length of the delay. Audible memory is a tricky thing but I don't think a 3 or 5 minute delay will break the bank.

I've started playing around lately with changing the cross-over on my subs with some great results, based on the room/etc., vs. the previous default 80 Hz setting. My first go at it was in my bedroom where I have a pair of LS50's with a puny 8" Velodyne sub. I bumped up the subs cross-over to 95.2 Hz after changing it to various points and it's made a noticeable difference.
I think a couple minute gap is way too long for a proper comparison.

Xover of specifically 95.2 Hz?

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
I think a couple minute gap is way too long for a proper comparison.

Xover of specifically 95.2 Hz?
Yes, on the the web setup control page, instead of the TV monitor settings. You can access it by putting in the AVR's IP address, forward slash 'setup' in the address bar on your web browser, for example 'http://192.168.1.202/setup'

E

EdOz

Enthusiast
I'm assuming it's connected, via LAN (local area network), in your home.

The GUI works by typing in the assigned IP address of the AVR into your web browsers address bar.

Press the 'TOP MENU' button at the bottom left.

Press the "SETTINGS' button at the bottom left.

Choose the 'Backup/Recovery' option from the menu choices on the left hand side.

Do a backup of your current settings to your PC/MAC folder/location and label it (date, etc,).

Change your settings for a 2nd/3rd/etc. YPAO run, back them up individually and label each accordingly also.

And then it's only a matter of doing a 'Recovery' of your preferred back-ups to reload them.
Unfortunately, I'm not connected, Ponzio. I have a seldom-used laptop lying around. Perhaps I'll break it out and try your suggestions.

In the meantime, I assume now that I also need to be connected in order to see what PEQ settings that YPAO chose during its calibration process. Yes?

Thanks so much for your prompt answer. Much appreciated!

Ed

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
Have you tried using the setting pattern option in the manual speaker setup? Seems to me like that might be a lot easier. I have two settings saved, one with the natural setting on the PEQ and one with the through setting for no EQ at all. I'm sure other speaker settings could be saved as well. Then you could just switch back between pattern one and pattern two to compare the sound differences.

Attachments

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
In the meantime, I assume now that I also need to be connected in order to see what PEQ settings that YPAO chose during its calibration process. Yes?
That is correct.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Yes, on the the web setup control page, instead of the TV monitor settings. You can access it by putting in the AVR's IP address, forward slash 'setup' in the address bar on your web browser, for example 'http://192.168.1.202/setup'
Hmm, on mine from HTTP setup it just lets me pick crossover of 40,60,80,90,100,110,120,160, or 200 for each speaker set to small.

On my 2060 it has 2 speaker setup patterns I can build but just one pattern can be built on my 681 and 770.

I haven’t looked at the settings this way before so I correct me if I’m looking at it wrong.

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
Hmm, on mine from HTTP setup it just lets me pick crossover of 40,60,80,90,100,110,120,160, or 200 for each speaker set to small.

On my 2060 it has 2 speaker setup patterns I can build but just one pattern can be built on my 681 and 770.

I haven’t looked at the settings this way before so I correct me if I’m looking at it wrong.
No that's correct. The higher you go up in the series, the more options are available, is my understanding.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis