YPAO microphone and subwoofer

J

JohnnyGee

Enthusiast
Hello, all,

My Yamaha RX-V685 AV receiver came with a YPAO microphone. I know it did because I held it in my hands.

But that was a couple months ago, and I seem to have lost it. I'm sure it exists somewhere in the world, but I don't know where and I've given up looking.

What bad things happen if I don't have one? I know I can't run the test referred to on pages 38 to 43 in the online PDF manual, and I don't know what else the YPAO mic does. Is there some way to fake it, i.e., can I get close to setting my five speaker's volumes or whatever it is in the absence of that mic? Is whatever it does so important that I should spend money to replace that YPAO mic?

On what I think is a related question, the room where my Samsung 65-inch QLED TV, the Yamaha RX-V685 receiver, two Klipsh speakers for the front, a center speaker for the front, and two bookshelf speakers for the back are missing a subwoofer. My questions are whether I need or want a subwoofer and, if so, which brand and model you would recommend. Can I somehow take advantage of Bluetooth technology to send sounds from the receiver to that subwoofer?

Please help with the subject of the mic and the subject of the subwoofer, and thanks.

--JohnnyGee

P.S. If I go to Amazon, do you know which exact model of YPAO microphone came with my Yamaha RX-V685 receiver? A model number or a link -- if you're sure -- is all I need. I can't figure it out with enough certainty to go ahead and plunk down $15 or $30.

P.P.S. I realize I'm a complete stranger to all of you, but if you have the working YPAO mic that came with your Yamaha RX-V685 receiver and decide to trust me despite the fact I could be conning you out of your YPAO mic, please let me know and I'll be happy to discuss shipping arrangements with you. This is not an emergency.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Should be easy enough to find a replacement mic, the specific model number could be in your avr manual. Or you can setup your gear with an spl meter manually using the avr test tones. Try this article https://www.audioholics.com/home-theater-connection/basic-home-theater-setup-guide for some ideas

Just a brand of speaker tells us very little but I'd use a sub with any Klipsch speaker I can think of....there are wireless subs, one of the lower priced ones that performs well like RSL's Speedwoofer 10s might be worth a look. It would generallly be radio frequency for wireless, not bluetooth and there are wireless kits you can use with any sub.

J

JohnnyGee

Enthusiast
After speaking by phone a few minutes ago, at 714-522-9105, with a very helpful female whose name I don't know, the YPAO microphone used by the Yamaha RX-V685 AV receiver carries a part number of WN649600. The warehouse is out of stock now, but the web site from which to order is yamaha24x7.com.

The Amazon.com link appears to be https://smile.amazon.com/Yamaha-WN649600-Microphone-Equipment-Manufacturer/dp/B002ACBCUS/ref=sr_1_2?crid=1V8FVMMWUBF2V&dchild=1&keywords=wn649600+yamaha&qid=1614095856&sprefix=wn649600,aps,241&sr=8-2 , where today I bought this product for Amazon's price of about $15.

I'm still investigating which brand and model of sub-woofer to add, and if anyone here has a strong suggestion that will work with the Yamaha RX-V685 AV receiver, please let me know.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Generally we'll steer you to the sub guys like Hsu Research, SVS, Rythmik, Power Sound Audio and Monolith (or the RSL I suggested earlier). If your budget doesn't allow these guys....maybe something like a Dayton SUB1200 or SUB1500 from parts-express.com. Your avr can work with any sub that has its own amp (most come with their own plate amp)....won't work with a passive sub without a separate amp at least.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
After speaking by phone a few minutes ago, at 714-522-9105, with a very helpful female whose name I don't know, the YPAO microphone used by the Yamaha RX-V685 AV receiver carries a part number of WN649600. The warehouse is out of stock now, but the web site from which to order is yamaha24x7.com.

The Amazon.com link appears to be https://smile.amazon.com/Yamaha-WN649600-Microphone-Equipment-Manufacturer/dp/B002ACBCUS/ref=sr_1_2?crid=1V8FVMMWUBF2V&dchild=1&keywords=wn649600+yamaha&qid=1614095856&sprefix=wn649600,aps,241&sr=8-2 , where today I bought this product for Amazon's price of about $15.

I'm still investigating which brand and model of sub-woofer to add, and if anyone here has a strong suggestion that will work with the Yamaha RX-V685 AV receiver, please let me know.
Check out Genes, Sub threads in Forums lots of great info! happy hunting!
image.jpg

Teetertotter?

Teetertotter?

Senior Audioholic
I have a Klipsch 10", R 100SW, 150W, that works great with my set-up using LFE. On sale at $199 vs $399 at times.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis